Twin X-Wing and Y-Wing Combos

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mako13

Mako13

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Is anyone experimenting with running twin X-Wing / Y-Wing combos, e.g. pairing an X-Wing with a Y-Wing, in two units?

Given what I've read about the armament on the Y's, not sure if it would be any good, but thought the following might possibly work in some battles, e.g. giving both Y's Ion Cannons, and Proton Torpedoes, and having them run right behind the X's, so the range 1 shots against them are partially, if not fully blocked from the front, and to cover the Proton Torps' dead zone. 

Seems to me if you can take out a Tie, or two, on the first pass, that might make for an even game, or better, at least against 5 - 6 Tie Fighter swarms.  May not be enough though against those 7 - 8 unit swarms.

Obviously, close coordination, and a bit of luck would be required for the Rebels, especially if they lose an X-Wing, but it might be an interesting combo to try.

Thoughts?

#2 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

I really like including one Y-wing in a Rebel squad, but I'm more skeptical about two. (I know there are others around here with good arguments to the contrary, and I look forward to reading them!)

As far as Gold + Proton + Ion goes, my first thought is that's an awful lot of points on a package that doesn't actually defend itself very well. Y-wings don't last under focused fire from either faction. Of course, nothing lasts very well under focused fire, but 27 points is more than a quarter of your list, and Y-wings defend themselves worse than any other ship currently in the game.

Meanwhile, running two of those leaves you with a total of 46 points for the rest of your list. You can't afford 2 ships if you include any named X-wing pilot other than Biggs, who's probably more of a liability than an asset here, so that gives you 2 Red Squadron pilots or 2 Rookies with a little room for astromechs. That's going to give you problems with the firing order, since you'll be going after most ships in any typical squad.

You'll also have a bit of a problem with firepower. The Y-wings have weaker primary weapons, and the ion cannon is more likely to hit but has its damage capped at 1.

None of those problems are insuperable, and I can see it working if you fly smart--it will beat most 3-ship Rebel lists, and a poorly planned or poorly executed Imperial list will go down, too. But ultimately I think the 3X/1Y template is stronger.

#3 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

I run Garven / rookie Xwing / gold Ywing + ionC / Dutch + ionC +R5K6. I usually fly them in a square with the mooks in front, and the Xwings and Ywings diagonally across (I tend to put Dutch on the right, because I'm right handed). The Y wings will always be together, while the X wings will be buzzing around. Do also note that eg. the rookie Xwing, after doing a koiogran turn, can get garven's focus token and Dutch's target lock, because those aren't actions.

damage from ion cannons is capped at one, but when you have a total of 6 actions per turn (7 if you are lucky, of which both Xwings will have target lcoks AND focus), I am able to drop a regular TIE on focus/evade at range 2 or nearer (range 2 because ion cannons only shoot that far out) with near 100% confidence, and heavily injure TIEadvs, getting them down to 1 hp most of the time or outright killing them in 1 turn. I've not tested this against a rebel squad yet, but if it can down TIEs that quickly, I doubt it would fare too badly against the rebel ships which have lesser agility. Losing either Garven or Dutch would'nt hurt the squad too badly either, as you still have the other around to give the bonuses, and all of them are at similar ps, so you can specifically choose who to fly first or attack first to get the correct bonuses going here and there and so on.

The Ywing may only be able to deal 1 damage with their ion cannons, but normally with 3 attack dice against 3 defense dice and possibly an evade token as well, you would still be doing about 1 damage either way, that's how i see it. With target lock, that's like a confirmed 1 point of damage + ionize. regular TIE fighters have 3 hp, so 1 damage is actually very painful for them. of course, if you manage to get any of them in range 1 of your regular pewpews, just blast them away with your regular pewpews. Oh, and due to their higher hp, slower speeds and perceived uselessness, I tend to run Ywings in front of Xwings actually.

#4 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

I've ran the following build a couple of times with so-so effect:

Horton w/R2-F2 and IC

Gold Sqd. Y-wing w/ IC

Red Sqd. X-wing x2

Horton is a tank running around Ion Cannoning guys with the x-wings finishing them off while the other y-wing blocks movement and sacrifices himself.

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#5 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

Vorpal Sword said:

I really like including one Y-wing in a Rebel squad, but I'm more skeptical about two. (I know there are others around here with good arguments to the contrary, and I look forward to reading them!)

As far as Gold + Proton + Ion goes, my first thought is that's an awful lot of points on a package that doesn't actually defend itself very well. Y-wings don't last under focused fire from either faction. Of course, nothing lasts very well under focused fire, but 27 points is more than a quarter of your list, and Y-wings defend themselves worse than any other ship currently in the game.

Meanwhile, running two of those leaves you with a total of 46 points for the rest of your list. You can't afford 2 ships if you include any named X-wing pilot other than Biggs, who's probably more of a liability than an asset here, so that gives you 2 Red Squadron pilots or 2 Rookies with a little room for astromechs. That's going to give you problems with the firing order, since you'll be going after most ships in any typical squad.

You'll also have a bit of a problem with firepower. The Y-wings have weaker primary weapons, and the ion cannon is more likely to hit but has its damage capped at 1.

None of those problems are insuperable, and I can see it working if you fly smart--it will beat most 3-ship Rebel lists, and a poorly planned or poorly executed Imperial list will go down, too. But ultimately I think the 3X/1Y template is stronger.

I myself , Is trying the 3 x-wing 1 4 template but trying to figure what would be the most viable way to get the most for my points Do I use any elite pilots? what are some Viable upgrades or do I skip upgrades all together, these things are what puts I clear mind on trying to construct a 4 ship list for the KRT, so far I do have a 3 ship list but i would really like to have a good 4 ship list for rebels

#6 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

Grave13 said:

I myself , Is trying the 3 x-wing 1 4 template but trying to figure what would be the most viable way to get the most for my points Do I use any elite pilots? what are some Viable upgrades or do I skip upgrades all together, these things are what puts I clear mind on trying to construct a 4 ship list for the KRT, so far I do have a 3 ship list but i would really like to have a good 4 ship list for rebels

Okay, so 3 Rookie Pilots and 1 Gold Squad Pilot with ion cannon is 86 points. That leaves you with 14 points for upgrading those ships.

The most expensive "upgrade" is going to be promoting your basic ships to named guys, so think about what you want there first. You can definitely afford one or two named pilots, but if you take two they'll price you out of most other upgrades.

I think R2-D2 is too expensive except on Luke, and I wouldn't deploy torpedoes unless you have at least 2 ships with them. Marksmanship is a bad idea on anyone except Wedge, and Wedge will go down pretty fast against a smart opponent. Otherwise, go nuts. (c:

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS