Best 100 Point Squad - Ever

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Karzinom Engel

Karzinom Engel

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

Alrighty, I can't give you the squad because I need it.

What would be the best possible Variationen for 100 points regarding that a can choose from any Core or Upgrade-Pack currentyl available?

I am pretty new to the game but I am a experienced player regarding any board, card or videogame.

I would appreciate any advice-

Like I said, I have every expansion at my disposal.

Thanks!

#2 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Usually, people respond better to "I have this squad, comments?" or "Hey, what should I do better with this squad?" instead of "I'm unimaginitive and unable to invent my own team, someone give me one please!", but since I'm in a charitable mood, here ya go.

if all you have is core + 1 of every expansion, that means you have 3 TIE fighters, 1 TIE advanced, 2 X-wings, and 1 Y-wing to work with. With that selection, pick rebels.

Wedge Antiles (29 points) (35 points total)
-Proton Torps (4 points)
-Expert Handling (2 points)

Luke Skywalker (28 Points) (31 points total)
-R2-F2 (3 points)

Horton Slam (25 points) (34 points total)
-Ion Cannon (5 points)
-Proton Torps (4 points)

This squad is 100 points exactly, but doesn't worry about initiative too much with it's PS 9 pilot and 2 PS 8 pilots. All three are able to operate on their own and have no synergies you need to worry about utilizing, meaning it's built more for newer players. Wedge can hit hard with the torps round 1, and use expert handling to line up shots, Luke can use R2's ability to up his agility, making him a monster to try to kill, and Horton gets to re-roll dice when shooting from range 2+, making his torps deadlier and his Ion far more likely to stop something in it's tracks. Good luck!

#3 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

Honestly, there are a variety of lists. Browse on the forums here and over at www.boardgamegeek.com for some ideas on what people are taking for Kessel Run lists, and the various advice and suggestions beign given.

It partially depends on a number of things:

- What ships do you have available? Do you have multiple expansion ships, or just one of each type?

- Did you have a preference between Rebel or Imperial?

- Do you like quantity over quality, or vice versa?

- What is the list for? A tournament? Playing the local guys?

There are lists that are better than others, and lists that are better rounded than others. Tournament lists can be a different sort of beast, since you need to consider mirror matches. Some lists are better against a specific faction, as are some upgrades.

So, some additional direction from you will assist others in giving you some advice.  Also, as I said, you can find plenty of good lists and good advice simply by reading through a variety of list-building threads.

#4 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:02 AM

I'm really surprised you've never heard of the might of the 5 Y's.  Hothie was seriously considering running it for the world championships if he was going to go Rebel.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook.com/groups/swgon/ Star Wars Gaming Ontario formerly known as Star Wars Miniatures Toronto

#5 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Y-wings are the bane of Tie fighters, I played my Y-wing in the KRT and he quicly became my MVP, and The most hated ship by everyone else in the tournament. I would say field as much as you can lol, but me Im going to make sure for now on that all my rebel builds to have 2  Y-Wings in them.  Put it this way I almost Ion cannoned a ship right off the table and he could do a damn thing but putt along each turn in a straight line at speed one. ….Was really a funny sight for me, Oh not to mention I harrassed Darth Vader to death with my Y-wing. Now if i caused this muc chaos with just one Y-Wing imagine what 5 will do lol.  my only complaint about the Y-Wing  there movement is not so great but hey after becoming a pain in the ass to Darth Vader and all his fellow TIE-Fighters it's worth it. 

Give em a try.

#6 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

5 Y-wings means at most you have 2 ion cannons.

You are relying on 2-attack / 1 agility craft against 2 attack / 3 agility craft.

Y-wings are also less maneuverable.

Sure, you've got shields and hull … but at 1 agility even TIE fighters have a good chance of hitting you consistently.

Going against another Rebel list, with their 3 attack dice will be tough too, although at least there will be fewer enemies.

Personally, I think a 4x Y-wing (each with ion) would be more dangerous.

#7 Steveisatree

Steveisatree

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Y-wings need the ion-cannon to make them good! 

I played a 2 y-wing and 2 x-wing build with

Horton Salm with R5-D8 and ion-cannon

Gold squadron pilot with ion-cannon

Rookie Piolot

Red Squadren pilot 

It worked a treat although I have only tried this build once The ion cannon made the y-wings amazing, I think they would be rubbish without it. 

#8 kuffdaddy

kuffdaddy

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

i have run 4 Y's with ion canon's and just brutalize people be it flying them into asteroids or off map just choose target wisely and dont let up.  Your goin to take damage but you have in effect 24 HP sitting out there thats a lot to shew throuth

Big Wookie

#9 riplikash

riplikash

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

I'm suprised I'm not hearing of more people using "Dutch" Vander in their Y-Wings. Getting two target locks is amazing, and only partially because of the attack benefits. I find Imperial players will go to great lengths to barrel roll out of those target locks, making target locks a great way to control the enemies movements and break up formations. 

And if they DON'T barrel roll out of it you are getting targetting + focus on one of your other ships, which in my case often has a torpedo ready to go.

Pair him with Wedge and you are dishing out some serious pain. ( I typically run Luke solo as a distraction/flanker)

I find Horton's rerolling ability, while still useful, to pail in comparison to the sheer utility of Dutch. Am I the only one that feels that way?

#10 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:16 AM

riplikash said:

I'm suprised I'm not hearing of more people using "Dutch" Vander in their Y-Wings. Getting two target locks is amazing, and only partially because of the attack benefits. I find Imperial players will go to great lengths to barrel roll out of those target locks, making target locks a great way to control the enemies movements and break up formations. 

And if they DON'T barrel roll out of it you are getting targetting + focus on one of your other ships, which in my case often has a torpedo ready to go.

Pair him with Wedge and you are dishing out some serious pain. ( I typically run Luke solo as a distraction/flanker)

I find Horton's rerolling ability, while still useful, to pail in comparison to the sheer utility of Dutch. Am I the only one that feels that way?

What do you mean by "barrel rolling out of target locks"? I have heard you mention this twice on the forums, and I can't figure out how it works unless people are equipping their TIEs with Expert Handling (which I haven't heard mentioned recently). Even then, I don't see how that's controlling their movement.

Without Expert Handling, the only time a TIE would Barrel Roll in response to a Target Lock would be to get out of your firing arc, or in the case of a Y-wing, to move out of range of the Ion Cannon.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#11 riplikash

riplikash

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Parakitor said:

What do you mean by "barrel rolling out of target locks"? I have heard you mention this twice on the forums, and I can't figure out how it works unless people are equipping their TIEs with Expert Handling (which I haven't heard mentioned recently). Even then, I don't see how that's controlling their movement.

Without Expert Handling, the only time a TIE would Barrel Roll in response to a Target Lock would be to get out of your firing arc, or in the case of a Y-wing, to move out of range of the Ion Cannon.

It looks like we mis-understood the rule. Our initial understanding was that ALL barrell rolls removed a targetting token, which after looking up the rules is not the case. So that's good to know, and explaisn why I don't hear about many other people using targetting to manipulate their opponents. It's a much more niche situation if ALL barrell rolls don't remove targetting. It especially seemed to make sense to us because all rebel ships have targetting and all imperial ships have barrell rolls, so it seemed like an intended dynamic: the rebels could target, the imperials could waste their action dodging or just eat the damage.

As for controlling their movement, it's pretty simple: the rebels could force the Imperials to move to the side, thus breaking their formation and "wasting" their action. When combined with "Dutch" you could force someone to barrell roll and still get another target lock on them, making it a pretty powerful combo. It could break up formations and push Tie's out of their intended lines of assault.

Overall, I'm actually sad to learn the game doesn't work like that. It added a very interesting dynamic to our games, and a lot of interesting choices: break formation, or take a torpedo/targetted shot? Do I target the guy I want to kill, or his wingman to try and trick my opponent into splitting them up? Dodge the target, or focus/target to increase my own attack?

I hate it when your favorite game "features" turn out to be rules misinterpretations.

#12 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

It doesn't have to be totally gone: you could try out Expert Handling. I like to give "Mauler Mithel" and "Howlrunner" Expert Handling, with Darth Vader flying close by with Squad Leader. Trouble is, then Vader doesn't have Expert Handling…

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS