• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TinyGrimes

TinyGrimes

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

Hey gang,

I realize the game is not officially out yet. However, I've been having so much fun with the game I thought I would start a podcast. If you are familiar with my AGOT podcast Summer is Coming, it will be the same format. That is not a lot of witty banter, but rather a focus on the game we all love, STAR WARS! Hopefully you enjoy the podcast. Spread the word and send us feedback. We will cover any topics our listeners propose.

In the first episode we discuss our first impressins of the game including the draw mechanic, deckbuilding, and Luke vs. the Devastator. Also, we provide tips on issues such as using multiple affiliations and gold curves. We conclude with their card and combo of the week.

http://www.cardgamed...-episode-1-r121

#2 cpjolicoeur

cpjolicoeur

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

Is there a feed for episodes or do you just post the mp3's to your forum site?

#3 TinyGrimes

TinyGrimes

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

The feed is: http://feeds.feedbur...dgamedbPodcasts

It should be on ITunes soon.

#4 ndavis678

ndavis678

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Well done guys, i look forward to listening to many more.

#5 NathanPButler

NathanPButler

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

TinyGrimes, drop me a line (nathan@starwarsfanworks.com). I run a site devoted to covering the Star Wars fan audio / podcasting genre, and we can add the show to our directory to drive some more traffic. (The site is www.starwarsfanworks.com if you decide to check it out. I've been running it sine 2003 and pocasting in the genre since 2002; even had a chance to contribute to the Expanded Universe a few times as a result.)

#6 Ulairi

Ulairi

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

Post an update when we can listen to it from the iTunes store. Apple makes it very difficult to listen to podcasts that are not in their store. 

#7 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Nice podcast; keep it up! In my experience, a lot of gaming podcasts end up being bogged down with banter, jokes, etc., and not much quality commentary on game mechanics, cards, and the nuts and bolts of the game. You guys made some great points, and I felt like I was gaining some knowledge from the show. Great work!

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#8 TinyGrimes

TinyGrimes

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I too have noticed that many gaming  podcasts feature a lot of "witty banter." However, that is not my podcasting style. I save my wit for abusing my local meta. I have done 11 episodes of Summer is Coming, which is a Game of Thrones LCG podcast, in the same style as The Smuggler's Den and I have no intention of adopting a different style. When it comes to podcasting my theory is provide some real nuts and bolts information or don't podcast that week.

Also, as stated in the podcast we are happy to answer any questions listeners have.  The reason it has initially been slated as bi-weekly is because we worry that with only a core set to talk about we may run out of useful material. However, don't fret we already have enough information for the next 2 podcasts ready to roll.

#9 cparadis

cparadis

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

I too enjoyed the cast. I thought your discussion of deck building/tweaking was practical and useful. Keep up the good work!

#10 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

"I'm looking for fun in the Star Wars universe over accuracy and less fun." Sums it up nicely.

#11 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

MarthWMaster said:

"I'm looking for fun in the Star Wars universe over accuracy and less fun." Sums it up nicely.

I also enjoyed that part of the discussion. I see nothing wrong with Han Solo damaging a ship, or vice versa. The fun comes from the game dynamics, the math, and the thrill of competition. 

Think of games like Magic: The Gathering, or even A Game of Thrones LCG…A Kithkin Vs. a Vampire? A Beetle Vs. a Planeswalker? an Angel Vs. a Worm? Stannis can kill a Direwolf? A direwolf can kill an Army? To obsess over things like that is to miss the point. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#12 TinyGrimes

TinyGrimes

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

The podcast has been submitted to ITunes. I'm not sure how long it will take before it is available through ITunes.

#13 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

Cool!  Has Summer is Coming been submitted as well?

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#14 Ulairi

Ulairi

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

the podcast is in iTunes. I really enjoyed it. I also agree that removing any "witty" banter makes the podcast much more listenable to. I have listened to the podcast twice now because you guys gave out a lot of good information. I do have one difference of opinion: It isn't taking something to the extreme to expect certain things in the game to resemble the movies. I taught my wife the game and she isn't a CCG, LCG or gamer and has only seen the Star Wars movies in bits and pieces but she assumed that to use a "jedi" power it would require a Jedi. I just think that is more intuitive thinking and not being an extremist to the setting. I'm fine with the game being a game first and flavoured by Star Wars second. I prefer that. 

#15 RockSoldier

RockSoldier

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

loved the show!   I really hope you keep it up.

#16 DrNate

DrNate

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Good, solid podcast. I'm very likely to tune in for the next one. It made grueling work go a little faster. 

Favorite part: the insight on Princess Leia. I appreciated that, and hope to get more great insight next time.

#17 TinyGrimes

TinyGrimes

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:17 AM

There have been a few inquiries about episode 2, so I thought I'd let everyone know it's on it's way. Ben and I recorded it already and it is slated to go up tonight. However that is dependent on the great Michigan blizzard. If it lets me get to Los Angeles tonight it will be up. If not you can expect it tomorrow.

#18 jeeps

jeeps

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

I really enjoyed this podcast and your easy-to-enjoy banter.  I also posted it to the SWCCGPC boards too.  Thanks for the efforts!

Peter Jacobson

Minnesota, USA

#19 RockSoldier

RockSoldier

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

Where in Michigan are you?   Im in Sterling Heights.

#20 RockSoldier

RockSoldier

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

nevermind, I misread it   lol

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS