Mass Combat

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ferretz

Ferretz

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

I know there have been some discussion on the Mass Combat rules from Battlefleet Koronus here on the forums, but up until last night, I hadn't read those rules in detail. I wanted to ask about those rules, as there are some things I'm not sure if I get right.

First, the base Power Level of a unit decided it's armor (twice the Power Level). But how come Light, Medium and Heavy units have the same Armor, as it's only the base power level that is used to calculate it? A superheavy Baneblade tank should have a lot more amor than a Predator tank, right?

Also, with Unit Strength, it says that this is how many men the unit have lost. But how is this used with armor and units that are mainly vehicles? How do I know how many vehicles that have been destroyed?

That's all for now :)

-Eirik

#2 lurkeroutthere

lurkeroutthere

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Honestly those rules are just a mess, many people have tried variations or homebrews on them. I posted something here (or maybe it was the GM's section) a few days ago and got people making various suggestions. I drafted a simplfied system for my game and it seemed to work ok. It needs some refinement, i can post it if your interested.

#3 Ferretz

Ferretz

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

I'm not usually fond of house rules, but in this case I would like to see them. :)

-Eirik

#4 lurkeroutthere

lurkeroutthere

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Tomorrow I'll clean my notes up a bit and post them to GDocs for cross linking here. Some things are relatively ready to go as I had to at least make sure they were clear enough for my players consumption are not.

#5 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

Ferretz said:

First, the base Power Level of a unit decided it's armor (twice the Power Level). But how come Light, Medium and Heavy units have the same Armor, as it's only the base power level that is used to calculate it? A superheavy Baneblade tank should have a lot more amor than a Predator tank, right?

Also, with Unit Strength, it says that this is how many men the unit have lost. But how is this used with armor and units that are mainly vehicles? How do I know how many vehicles that have been destroyed?

Unless i read it wrong, the base is modified by the type of unit it is.  Like a Professional Heavy Modern Armour Regiment would have a (don't have my book with me guessing) 12 total.  So it's Armour would be 24 and Power 12.

As for units that consist mainly of vehicles, I used the ratio of about 25% of the units total is vehicles.

I have some House Rules also, provide by the link below.  Feel free to comment about them as you like.  Mind you, mine are made for a detailed groud warfare campaign, so if you want abstract then I'm no help.  Sorry.

https://docs.google....d_3Ga37YXQ/edit

Happy gaming though.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#6 Ferretz

Ferretz

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

Well, I haven't tried these rules in play yet, but what bugs me the most is that the rules seems to imply that the Armor of a unit is it's unmodified Power x2. Now that can't be right. That means that a unit feral light infantry has the same Armor as unit of modern heavy infantry. This seems to be confirmed in the Errata too.

The example in the errata, which is "corrected" from the book, is that a unit of Heavy Industrial Infantry has a Power of 7. Now that seems right, but it's Attack is 4d10+6 (why not +7?) and it's Armor is corrected in the errata to become 8 (Base Power x2).

Now that's just strange…

E.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS