Photo

Will the expansion packs include three copies of individual identities?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dancingcrab

dancingcrab

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Going by the wording on the catalogue page, each pack will include sixty cards. I believe there will be 20 unique cards per pack, three copies of each. How does that work with respect to identities? Surely three Whizzard idents would be kinda silly…

#2 Keggy

Keggy

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Enjoy your silly triplicates of Whizzard and the new HB identity then.

#3 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

I like to use clear sleeves and put two copies of them in, so it shows the identity on both sides. Can't shuffle it into the deck accidentally. The third one you can glue to your deckbox or something.

#4 FLGMwt

FLGMwt

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

I understand this is a hard thing to avoid considering a hard 60 card restriction the packs and wanting three copies of each (usable) card, but having unusable duplicates is a little hard to swallow. 4/60 cards that can't be used? I'm spending a dollar (4/60 ~> $1/$15) for unnecessary copies? I suppose I could pass them off, but how many people want one of the new identities that isn't already buying the pack? Ah well, I guess there's more player cards than a lotr pack. Ey oh!

#5 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

This was just brought up in another thread and I really don't see why it bothers people so much. I would rather have extras than less copies. It was print 3 of or they could have made two blank cards I guess. It is not like this is taking away a different card from the pack or anything. Next pack will be Jinteki so you will have two "unusable cards".

#6 FLGMwt

FLGMwt

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

It really isn't a big deal, just a curiosity of the format. Would it be any different if there were four or five copies of another card type? Would they be more or less usable? Apologies if I sounded begrudged, just trying to contribute to the discussion.

#7 Gpetiso

Gpetiso

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

It is really confirmed that it is like this?? I is really stupid…

It will be better and no impossible to provide a ONE copy of the runner identity, ONE copy of the corp identity, THREE copies of an another card. And a FOIL promotional copy to put in deckbox etc..instead.  This´ll mean 19 new cards with three copies, two identities and one promotional foil (no new) 

what are your feelings about? 

#8 Gpetiso

Gpetiso

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

sorry, I would like to say 21 new cards with three copies plus an extra promotional one.

#9 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

Gpetiso said:

sorry, I would like to say 21 new cards with three copies plus an extra promotional one.

There is 20 cards per pack, 3 copies of each even identities. There is no reason for them to do any different and its not a big deal. Everyone is acting like they are missing something because of this. You are not. There will always be 20 new cards per pack. Eventually probably won't even be new identities as after a while they might take a cycle off from time to time instead of constantly releasing new identities every cycle.

#10 ScuderiaBenny

ScuderiaBenny

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

To answer this for good, I can assure everyone that there are in fact 20 new cards and 3 copies of each. I know because FFG officially released the What Lies Ahead pack yesterday at their Event Center and I got one of the first few packs! Woohoo for living close to their headquarters!

#11 ToneMastaG

ToneMastaG

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

I would much rather pay $1 for four extra cards, than have to pay $20 more dollars to get a complete play set.  Reading now, that there will be full play sets in the chapter packs has sealed the deal.  I now have to get into Netrunner completely. lol

#12 dancingcrab

dancingcrab

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

Oops, I'm provoked disgruntled internet responses. Apologies to any that found my query irritating. I didn't mean to be impolite, and don't even really care that much…. I just expressed my opinion, which is simply that it's kinda silly.

But more to the point, thank you for answering the question! Sticking a spare card in my deckbox's vanity pane is a good idea. However, I don't think I can bring myself to glue two cards together… ;-)

#13 Astro Mike

Astro Mike

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

Toqtamish said:

Everyone is acting like they are missing something because of this. You are not.

In fact we are missing 4 unique cards because of the useless triplicates. Currently the identities consume 21 slots, as opposed to 7. That is 14 wasted slots that could've been used for 4 brand new cards that you're not gonna get in this cycle.

#14 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

However, it's more efficient (and probably cheaper) for them to print one template 3 times than replace the extra IDs with something else. Not to mention the hypothetical extra cards wouldn't be 3x. I prefer having extra copies (that might be used in extra decks) to the kind of distribution that was used in the earliest AGoT chapter packs (before reprint).

#15 Gpetiso

Gpetiso

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Toqtamish said:

Gpetiso said:

There is 20 cards per pack, 3 copies of each even identities. There is no reason for them to do any different and its not a big deal. Everyone is acting like they are missing something because of this. You are not. There will always be 20 new cards per pack. Eventually probably won't even be new identities as after a while they might take a cycle off from time to time instead of constantly releasing new identities every cycle.

I know there is 20 cards x 3, but I agree with Astro Mike thinkiing that has no sense x3 identity cards, however it only was an idea to approach more the data pack, I am not bother becouse FF do it, I only suggest a better (from my point of view) distrubution off the cards, but of course I understand the commercial reasons that make FF to do it in this way. However I do not going to say that it is the best idea of the world…. 

#16 FLGMwt

FLGMwt

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Toqtamish said:

I agree that this is not a big deal. I disagree with you, however, in that we are indeed getting a little bit less content than if we were to purchase a pack without identities or with a different distribution (though I would disagree with a different distribution that isn't exactly three single idents in a pack). Having one copy of an ident is no different than having three copies of an ident in terms of gameplay. Having one copy of a player card is dramatically different than having three copies of a player card as it breaks the intent of the format (limited distribution in base sets ignored). In this sense, the ident duplicates take up room in a pack that has potential for a bit more content.

#17 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Wow this is getting carried away. Okay every LCG cycle is 120 unique cards. The extra copies of the identities are just as useless as getting 3 agenda in AGoT was considered to be useless. We are not losing content as some of you insist on saying as that is not how sets are designed nor printed. CCG/LCG/TCG/whateverCG cards are printed in large print runs with cards on each sheet. Having 3 of each is the most efficient and cost effective way of running those print runs and having them laid out. I used to work in a very large print factory so I am familiar with the industry.

#18 FLGMwt

FLGMwt

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Toqtamish said:

Wow this is getting carried away. Okay every LCG cycle is 120 unique cards. The extra copies of the identities are just as useless as getting 3 agenda in AGoT was considered to be useless. We are not losing content as some of you insist on saying as that is not how sets are designed nor printed. CCG/LCG/TCG/whateverCG cards are printed in large print runs with cards on each sheet. Having 3 of each is the most efficient and cost effective way of running those print runs and having them laid out. I used to work in a very large print factory so I am familiar with the industry.

Fair enough, I concede. /bow

#19 Palpster

Palpster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

Toqtamish said:

We're getting 56 usable cards in this set instead of 60. In my book that IS missing out on content.

No matter how printing is done and what is cheaper. That might all be true, but it's also true that out of 60 cards I can only use 56. I don't see why you would try to argue that point. I will not argue your point that it's cheaper and more efficient to do it the way it's done now, I'm sure you know what you're on about and that you're absolutely right. As for the 120 unique cards. Sure, we're not missing out on the intended 120 different cards. However should all factions gain just one 1 new identity throughout the cycle, instead of 360 usable cards we'd be at 346. I'm buying 14 cards that I have no use for, more if there will be more than 1 new identity per faction. I can see why people would have a funny feeling about this.

Me, I'll buy them anyway,  I've played multiple CCG's where I got stuck with TONS of cards I had no use for, so this is a small thing, I guess, and far cheaper than any CCG I ever played/collected.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS