• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pelinhenki

Pelinhenki

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

Hello everyone,

According to the rulebook (p.28, Organized play) there should be special rules for tournament. Can someone tell me where to find it and does anyone have any experience of implenting tournament rules? Is there any errata needed for special rules interpretation?

I'd be interested in organizing local tournaments and bringing different play groups together.

This game mechanic feels very good and the game looks very promising!

Sincerely,

-M

#2 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

I don't think they've been released yet… though with the game still on the boat it'll be hard to run a tournament quite yet anyways ;-)  Seriously though, I also am wanting to know how tournaments will run…

#3 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

I would like to see tournaments organized so that there are an equal number of available seats belonging to the light side and the dark side, with the earlier sign-ups being able to elect one side or the other to play for the duration of the tournament, so that players are paired up against the opposing side. This would add a sense of meaning to the tournament, as ultimately one side would prove victorious over the other. I could even see this idea expanded upon later, if FFG were ever to hold a Star Wars-themed weekend event. Players would declare a Force affiliation when registering for the event, and there could be some sort of reward for being on the winning side. Much like the House affiliations at Days of Ice & Fire.

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

We know enough to know that players will bring both a LS and a DS deck.  I think it's been implied that each match between 2 players will involve 2 games (one each side).  I don't think we have any idea how split matches will be scored or things like that.

#5 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Tournaments will be played as both sides. 

#6 houjix1138

houjix1138

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

dbmeboy said:

We know enough to know that players will bring both a LS and a DS deck.  I think it's been implied that each match between 2 players will involve 2 games (one each side).  I don't think we have any idea how split matches will be scored or things like that.

It worries me a little how they will accomplish this. Will you be given a set time to complete both games or wil each game have a set time? Back when Decipher ran tournaments, you would play 1 side for the first round, then get paired against possibly a different person for round 2 playing somone that was the opposite faction as you in round 1. It would have been against a person that was of comparable strength, but they had Force differential for that. They'll have to use something like Magic and WoW do based on games wins and strength of opponents to spearate players.

Also, while it don't see it happening much if at all, I wonder what they will use for tie-breakers if a game were to go to time?

#7 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

In general I think you could look at the Netrunner tournament rules to get an idea of how Star Wars tournaments might be run.

Netrunner tournaments are structured so that each player must bring both 1 Corporation and 1 Runner deck to a tournament. Players play both decks against each opponent. So each player plays one side, then the other, against the same opponent. Tournament standings involve "prestige" points, which are earned for winning games within a match, and the match itself. Since we have this precedent, and the knowledge that Star Wars tournament participants must bring both LS and DS decks, I would expect a tournament structure very similar to Netrunner.

Netrunner tourney rounds are 65 minutes, so I'd expect to be able to play both games in that time frame most of the time. Those of you who have been playing the game since Worlds, can you give us some idea of how long a typical game runs?

#8 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

I can tell you that the demo games at GenCon I played were easily under 30 minutes each, even with people just learning the game and not knowing any of the cards.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS