Spoilers for What Lies Ahead

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Twn2dn

Twn2dn

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:33 AM

Our local game store in NYC has them in stock, and I just picked up a copy. You can view images of all the cards (excluding those previously spoiled) here: http://www.meetup.co...ner-NYC/photos/

Those who are attending the Netrunner tournament this Saturday in NYC will have an opportunity to purchase them onsite.

Separately…I was wrong when I guessed in another thread that we would have to wait half a year to see new corp identites ;)

#2 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

Twn2dn said:

Separately…I was wrong when I guessed in another thread that we would have to wait half a year to see new corp identites ;)

Yeah, I was gonna point out in that thread that they already announced that there would be new corp identities, but the forum ate my reply and I didn't bother re-writing it :)

But thanks for the spoilers, they're awesome. So stoked for this data pack now. My immediate favorite: Snowflake :D  -- it's hilarious.

#3 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

We've known since the cycle was announced that we are getting 7 new identities (1 per faction, 2 in pack 1 and 1 in the next 5)

That aside, Haas-Bioroid: Stronger Together. Wow!

#4 Rince

Rince

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the spoilers!

What is the exact number of cards in the box? I mean with two new identities and thee copies of each "ordinary cards" logic says it should be either 62 or 59. But neither of those are a "60 card expansion." :)

#5 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

Rince said:

Thanks for the spoilers!

What is the exact number of cards in the box? I mean with two new identities and thee copies of each "ordinary cards" logic says it should be either 62 or 59. But neither of those are a "60 card expansion." :)

I assume every identity card also had 3 copies (regardless of whether that makes sense or not).

#6 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

Rince said:

Thanks for the spoilers!

Rince said:

Thanks for the spoilers!

60 cards, 20 different card, 3 each. Even the identities.

#7 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Some expensive cards too. Janus costs 15 credits. Granted he is also strength 8 (9 with HB Stronger Together) and does 4 Brain damage.

Mandatory Upgrades, 6 to advance is a lot but not so much for HB as other corps and the extra click per turn would be really nice.

Imp is awesome for an Anarch deck devoted to trashing cards, hello Whizzard.

#8 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Here is some scans from Facebook that has the entire pack:

#9 Twn2dn

Twn2dn

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

Janus is pretty brutal. My guess is that many HB decks will continue to run Prior Req, while other corp decks swap those out. Project Atlas seems like a big boost as well.

#10 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

Some more thoughts:

New Weyland agenda is scary. 

Haas agenda is sick, too -- imagine having 3 of those scored.

NBN agenda seems a bit underwhelming. I'm gonna assume with all the focus on trace in this cycle there will be more ways for runners to get their link up, making a trace² seem a bit meh. Not horrible, but doesn't get me excited.

Braintrust seems solid.

Really wish Snowflake had a bit more strength (I'd gladly take a higher rez cost). I love the creative subroutine and want to see it go off as often as possible, but with strength 3, once the runner has a barrier breaker online, it's hardly a speed bump. I'll still play it though, just because the ability cracks me up.

I also love how they transfered the "cloud" trait of ZU.13 into its card effect. I love thematic cards like this.

I'm very torn about Janus… you really want this card to surprise the runner, but 15 credits is very steep. And if you use an effect to rez it on your turn for free, the runner can play around it. Not sure I'd play this.

#11 Cigar

Cigar

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Wow this thread is so win.. Thanks for the spoilers!  Very much appreciated.

#12 Twn2dn

Twn2dn

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

I don't think Janus needs to be a surprise. Unless the break it, which is really tough, the runner must spend all their clicks to run and then still takes a brain damage. That's pretty brutal for a single wall.

#13 TheRealLeo

TheRealLeo

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

Saturnine said:

NBN agenda seems a bit underwhelming. I'm gonna assume with all the focus on trace in this cycle there will be more ways for runners to get their link up, making a trace² seem a bit meh. Not horrible, but doesn't get me excited.

Are you kidding? That's a trace that happens on the Corp's turn! Which means if it succeeds, that's a tag. And there's no turn limit on the action, so the Corp can just go trace crazy. If the runner doesn't pay up or get some link, they're gonna be swamped with tags. Right now, NBN has the best use for multiple tags (Psychographics), so this works well for them.

It really just means that players are now going to have to consider boosting their link, though not just because of this card. Of course, it does present one significant reason for doing so.

As far as some of the other cards in the set, Imp looks pretty solid, but I wish they hadn't introduced it alongside Whizzard. It clearly outclasses Whizzard's trashing ability when you run into something high cost like PAD Campaign or SanSan. Granted it does take up memory and is not unlimited, but combining it with Grimoire for an extra use, Noise for a random trash, and the Pawnshop for some extra dough when you're done sounds more appealing than what Whizzard is offering right now.

Spinal Modem is a little too risky right now considering there's still no way to prevent or remove brain damage. Even if (when?) there does eventually become some way to prevent/remove brain damage, I would imagine it would be costly. Not sure if this card makes it worth it, especially considering the addition of some rather nasty trace abilities within this expansion alone.

Morning Star is a hard one to peg on usefulness. In comparison to Corroder, it seems like it would only save credits in a small and limited number of situations. Not sure that it's worth the 2 MU and 8 cost for situational gains.

And Peacock… ha, funny. Now nobody can complain that criminals don't have a code gate breaker… or maybe they could. burla Heck, even Key Master is better than that, and Key Master is probably only good for pairing with Yog.0, for those times when you can't use Yog, but don't want to spend extra memory on something else.

Helpful AI seems pretty good, but I rarely find myself making multiple runs into clutters of ice during a single turn, and that's simply because I don't often find a reason to be making more than one big run per turn. It seems like that would be the situation where it would really do well, so not sure if I would use it all that often, or even at all.

Plascrete Carapace is… interesting. Certainly would be handy against Weyland, but with no other effect than to prevent meat damage, not sure if I would run it all that often, especially if I'm playing criminal.

The new HB identity is interesting, but right now, its probably not as good as the original. Once we get into the neighborhood of 6+ Bioroid ice cards, then we're talking serious business, but right now, I think I would still prefer credit generation over a limited strength boost.

I definitely agree with the costing of Mandatory Upgrades, but it's probably gonna take me some time to figure out a solid way of playing this agenda, and eventually getting it scored consistently.

Janus… he's big.

Braintrust is definitely going to improve Jinteki's playability by a significant margin, but I have to admit that I kinda like their other card a little more (Snowflake). I like ice that offers the chance for playing head games.

TMI is pretty solid, and is definitely going to improve NBN's playability.

Project Atlas is really only good for one reason: it's worth 2 points. Now Weyland can really threaten that agenda victory… and maybe pull some cards from their deck while they're at it.

Fun stuff… now time to go rebuild my decks.

#14 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

TheRealLeo said:

Project Atlas is really only good for one reason: it's worth 2 points. Now Weyland can really threaten that agenda victory… and maybe pull some cards from their deck while they're at it.

Have Project Atlas sit there with two tokens, score Posted Bounty, use Atlas to search for 2x Scorched Earth, profit.

#15 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Twn2dn said:

I don't think Janus needs to be a surprise. Unless the break it, which is really tough, the runner must spend all their clicks to run and then still takes a brain damage. That's pretty brutal for a single wall.

After thinking about it some more, I can see it has some value if you can rez it for free. But it doesn't stop the runner --it's kinda like a corp-induced stimhack. If they don't spend credits to break it, they save a bunch of money, but take 1 brain damage. So if they know there's an agenda in the server, they're likely to just eat the damage, especially late game. Still, I can agree it can be a good deterrent/money sink.

#16 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

TheRealLeo said:

Spinal Modem is a little too risky right now considering there's still no way to prevent or remove brain damage. Even if (when?) there does eventually become some way to prevent/remove brain damage, I would imagine it would be costly. Not sure if this card makes it worth it, especially considering the addition of some rather nasty trace abilities within this expansion alone.

Morning Star is a hard one to peg on usefulness. In comparison to Corroder, it seems like it would only save credits in a small and limited number of situations. Not sure that it's worth the 2 MU and 8 cost for situational gains.

I agree on Spinal Modem -- seems too risky right now. Again, love the thematicness of the card, though.

Morning Star -- Again, I agree with you. There's not that many barriers right now that have more than one subroutine - especially among the smaller barriers. Could be nice with tinkering against some sentries. Might become more useful as new ice comes out, but I'm probably going to stick with Corroder for now.

#17 Messenger

Messenger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

The new HB identity is going to make HB players ask: "Which do I need more: money or stronger ICE?" This is going to be a tough decision.

Morning Star: I love how strong/efficient Anarch 'breakers are even if they're penalized by relying on other cards to deal with strength issues.

Criminals finally get a decoder in Peacock and it is typical of their faction. I like that it inherently has 2 strength. I dislike that it costs 2 credits to break 'routines.

Zu.13 Key Master and The Helpful AI- along with Chaos Theory and Test Run- make me want to switch more and more from Criminals to Shapers.

Plascrete Carapace: Weyland hates you already.

Project Atlas is going to be so good for Weyland the same way Mandatory Upgrades (and Project Vetruvius) is going to be good for HB. Weyland's cards are scattered between so many different things; this and Aggressive Negotiation should help get to the specfic cards you need when you need them.

Jinteki and NBN can really use their new agendas. Don't be underwhelmed- they're subtle. Braintrust is going make setting defenses up easier for its faction while Restructured Datapool is can drain the Runner's cash pool if not put him in a world of trouble.

Mandatory Upgrades is awesome. Even one of these scored is going to throw more pressure on the Runner. For game balance purposes, I'm glad to see a high advancement cost and low agenda score. For my own HB deck purposes, I'm gonna have to figure out how to integrate this into my deck, given boths it challenge and reward.

Janus 1.0 is another tough choice for HB deckbuilders. It's so expensive to rez, demanding Priority Requisition and Accelerated Beta Test. It's got high strength and a killer number of zombifying subroutines- but note that it can't end runs.

Hard choices ahead for us all- and that's a good thing. complice

#18 Rince

Rince

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

Toqtamish said:

Seems like a pointless waste of resources. enfadado You cannot do anything with more than one identity… Even if the pack was only 59 card and 1 identity each, we would still get an extra useful card. Plus, if they managed to put only one hero in Lord of the Rings adventure packs, I don't see why they couldn't do it here as well. But oh well, I guess it is too late to b***h about this now… avergonzado_triste

#19 quarky

quarky

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:38 AM

What I like is that the New Agendas put more pressure on the Runner to make runs against a Project Juneberg. How many times has someone not made a run on something that I had advanced out of fear? Mahahaha! Flatlining the runner for fun and profit.

#20 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

Rince said:

Toqtamish said:

Seems like a pointless waste of resources. enfadado You cannot do anything with more than one identity… Even if the pack was only 59 card and 1 identity each, we would still get an extra useful card. Plus, if they managed to put only one hero in Lord of the Rings adventure packs, I don't see why they couldn't do it here as well. But oh well, I guess it is too late to b***h about this now… avergonzado_triste

LotR to this is not a valid comparison. LotR packs also include the new encounter deck cards which have different numbers of each card and not 3 copies of each. LotR does have 3 copies of all player used cards. Also in LotR you can only use one copy of an unique hero anyway in play at any time between all players so having more than one would be pointless. But the real reason LotR has 1 copy of each hero instead of 3 is because of the encounter deck cards allow for that change in the distribution of the cards and on the printing presses.

Netrunner on the other hand all cards are player usable. Also if it was your way then we get one card in the pack that we only get 2 copies of which would be really annoying and break the LCG model of the expansion packs. So what there is two extra identities in the pack, put 1 in your binder and burn the other one if it bothers you so much. It really is a non issue anymore than getting multiple agendas is in AGoT. It is not a pointless waste of resources but it is important to understand how printing works in large factory runs like these.

The only way to print 1 identity copy in each pack would be to have 3 different identities in each pack but this would not work with there being 7 factions as then one faction would be left out in each cycle.

I suppose they could have always printed 2 blank cards instead of the extra copies but I will take the extra copies instead.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS