Everyone else is doing it, so I will too! KRT Rebel List

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

I'm down to deciding between these two lists. I'd hoped to try one of them out last night, but then contracted the flu or something and spent the evening in bed instead. 

List 1) 

Red Squadron Pilot w/ Proton Torpedoes, R2-D2

Red Squadron Pilot w/ R5-K6

Rookie Pilot w/ R2 Astromech

Rookie Pilot w/ R5 Astromech

List 2) 

Red Squardron PIlot w/ R2-D2

Red Squadron Pilot w/ R2-F2

Rookie Pilot w/ R5-D8

Rookie Pilot w/ R5-K6

Notes: 

• I have a Y-Wing, but have absolutely zero ability to use one effectively, apparently. 
  • About 90% sure I need to run a 4 ship Rebel list to have a chance at this thing. 
  • Somehow, I've only got one R2 Astromech card if you're wondering why I don't include more of them.
  • Meta in my  neighborhood HEAVILY favors Imperial, specifically Vader + 6-ish TIE builds. 
  • Don't really know why I'm so insistent on running Rebels. I'm just stubborn that way I guess. I do have 5 TIEs and 2 Advanced to play with.

Basically, I need a build that can compete with the Vader + buddies build that preferably isn't the Vader + buddies build. 

The only thing I've come up with that has registered even marginal success is a 4-ship Rebel list where I split the force into to two groups deployed at extreme ends of my depolyment zone. This usually  makes the Imperial player focus more on one group than the other. I've only played this way a couple of times, but usually the group that gets attacked by Vader is wiped out, but my other group wipes out whoever comes after them, then all the survivors get into it. I've not had much luck throwing four ships straight at the Vader + buddies, regardless of loadout. Fully aware that it's probably because I'm not that great at playing this game yet, but my ability to maneuver, etc. isn't going to drastically change before the KRT this Sunday. 

So, what do you think? All that in mind, which list should I run, or which list should I be running? 

#2 Shooter McGavin

Shooter McGavin

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:14 AM

We sound very similar in our abilities and situations.  I like the rebels even though I'm not that great with them.  My y wing usually just flies around helplessly, makes maybe 2 hits with ion cannon, then gets torn apart.  I'm most likely going to run 4 x wings too. Maybe Biggs with r2f2, wedge, and two rookies.  Anyways, good luck and have fun. 

#3 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:45 AM

Cid_MCDP said:

Notes: 

• I have a Y-Wing, but have absolutely zero ability to use one effectively, apparently. 
  • About 90% sure I need to run a 4 ship Rebel list to have a chance at this thing. 
  • Somehow, I've only got one R2 Astromech card if you're wondering why I don't include more of them.
  • Meta in my  neighborhood HEAVILY favors Imperial, specifically Vader + 6-ish TIE builds. 
  • Don't really know why I'm so insistent on running Rebels. I'm just stubborn that way I guess. I do have 5 TIEs and 2 Advanced to play with.

Basically, I need a build that can compete with the Vader + buddies build that preferably isn't the Vader + buddies build. 

In my experience, 4 X-wings will tear a giant hole in any Imperial build that isn't unusually good at alpha striking and/or focusing fire.

Among other experiences, I played hothie's Worlds list as uke for a friend testing out a Wedge/Biggs/Rookie/Rookie list. He killed Howlrunner in the first round of engagement and a pair of Academy Pilots in the next round, at which point I threw in the towel--I had Biggs on the ropes, but I was down to Vader and two TIE/ln. So I think you're on the right track to beat a large Imperial list, and you'll do it faster than most of the other reliable options.

The reason you only have one generic R2 Astromech is that they come in the Y-wing blister pack.

My only major worry is that you're going to lose position in the firing order most of the time, which could be a problem for you in the early game. Most Imperial lists I've seen run Vader, and those that don't have Vader have Howlrunner, and Swarm Tactics is extremely popular on both pilots. In your place I'd be tempted to hedge my bets by dropping some of the pricey astromechs and turning one of the Reds into Luke, like so:

Luke Skywalker [28] + Swarm Tactics [2]

Red Squadron Pilot [23]

Rookie Pilot [21]

Rookie Pilot [21]

That leaves you just 5 points for upgrades, but I think it might be a better use of your points.

#4 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:19 AM

Vorpal Sword said:

Cid_MCDP said:

Notes: 

In my experience, 4 X-wings will tear a giant hole in any Imperial build that isn't unusually good at alpha striking and/or focusing fire.

Among other experiences, I played hothie's Worlds list as uke for a friend testing out a Wedge/Biggs/Rookie/Rookie list. He killed Howlrunner in the first round of engagement and a pair of Academy Pilots in the next round, at which point I threw in the towel--I had Biggs on the ropes, but I was down to Vader and two TIE/ln. So I think you're on the right track to beat a large Imperial list, and you'll do it faster than most of the other reliable options.

The reason you only have one generic R2 Astromech is that they come in the Y-wing blister pack.

My only major worry is that you're going to lose position in the firing order most of the time, which could be a problem for you in the early game. Most Imperial lists I've seen run Vader, and those that don't have Vader have Howlrunner, and Swarm Tactics is extremely popular on both pilots. In your place I'd be tempted to hedge my bets by dropping some of the pricey astromechs and turning one of the Reds into Luke, like so:

Luke Skywalker [28] + Swarm Tactics [2]

Red Squadron Pilot [23]

Rookie Pilot [21]

Rookie Pilot [21]

That leaves you just 5 points for upgrades, but I think it might be a better use of your points.

Interesting observations, and thanks for finally answering the question why I only have 1 R2. I'd been thinking I must have lost him somehow.

Fire position is a concern. I played last Sunday with a list that was 3 Rookie X-Wings and 1 Gold Squadron Y-Wing, so I had low priority all day. What I did get was the ability to execute my moves and combat in any order, which actually was kind of a benefit. I'd worked out a list that got me 4 Red Squadrons, granting the any order I want benefit along with being higher than Pilot Ranking 2.

After thinking about it some last night, I arrived at the notion of 2 Reds and 2 Rookies, splitting the difference between having the any order benefit and still allowing some points for upgrades. It wouldn't be easy, but if I could get the 2 Reds on the same half of the board as some TIEs with lower PR… 

I don't know. I feel like I'm overthinking it too much, but I'm a 40k player so I'm stuck in the mindset of my list determining about 75% of the final outcome of my games. Lols. 

#5 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:27 AM

You really like your droids.  My advice is almost always is be conservative with your upgrades.   Cutting out most of your upgrades will let you upgrade your pilots.  In general I prefer better pilots to the buying upgrades.  Don't get me wrong I like upgrades, but I just think they should only be taken when you really want them.

For Example Wedge + Expert Handling + R2 droid is a really great combo.  But don't just throw R2 droids on everything.

The exception is the Ion Cannon.  my default Y-wing always has one.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#6 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Hrathen said:

You really like your droids.  My advice is almost always is be conservative with your upgrades.   Cutting out most of your upgrades will let you upgrade your pilots.  In general I prefer better pilots to the buying upgrades.  Don't get me wrong I like upgrades, but I just think they should only be taken when you really want them.

For Example Wedge + Expert Handling + R2 droid is a really great combo.  But don't just throw R2 droids on everything.

The exception is the Ion Cannon.  my default Y-wing always has one.

It's not so much I like droids, I'm just burning points, really. And admittedly, I like the droids that are just conditional rather than "Action: Blah blah." 

I gotta say, I find your suggestion of Wedge and Vorpal's suggestion of Luke interesting. I'd kind of written off A-List named characters in a four ship list because I figured the enemy would just focus on them until they were dead, which was something the 4 Reds or 4 Rooks lists had going for them. 

Now though, I'm kind of wondering about something along these lines: 

Wedge w/ R2 Astromech, Expert Handling

Red Squadron X-Wing

Red Squadron X-Wing

Rookie X-Wing

Wedge and the Rookie deploy in one corner, the two Reds in the opposite corner. Either the Imps split, or they all come after Wedge, in which case hopefully the two Reds are coming at them from behind, or at least on their flank.

Comes to 99 points, but now that I actually have a pilot with a 9 PR, initative might actually mean something… 

#7 Dewerntz

Dewerntz

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

I like the attack power of your build, but Having such a low pilot skill I think is going to hurt you in the long run.

This is my build:

Wedge. swarm tactics. R2 D2. Proton torpedoes.

Biggs. R2 F2

Dutch. R5 K6. Ion Cannon

Dutch gets a target lock and gives wedge one. wedge then makes biggs a 9 with swarm tactics. wedge makes defending ships roll one less defence die, so he shoots with 3 attack, focus, and a target lock probably taking out a ship each turn. then biggs goes and gets some damage in. dutch disables a ship uses his target lock and possibly gets it back with r5 k6 giving another target lock to one of your ships to be used next turn. Dutch can even drop the target lock the following turn just to give both of your ships a target lock with focus.

#8 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

try this:

Biggs, Wedge + torps, Rookie x2, no upgrades whatsoever. May want to change torps to R2D2

or

Biggs, Luke, Garven, Rookie, no upgrades whatsoever. May want to downgrade Biggs to Rookie to get a R2D2 on Luke

both groups would not be easy to play with, but if you get a bit lucky and know what you are doing, I think they offer a lot more than your current mook + astromech groups.

EDIT: have you tried out the 4x rookie + torps build yet? I think that might just be what you are looking for, high punch, lack of specific targets, 4 Xwings. Yes, torps are kinda sucky, but I do not believe anything would still be alive after having 4 torps launched at it, unless it is a Slave I or a Falcon

#9 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Duraham said:

EDIT: have you tried out the 4x rookie + torps build yet? I think that might just be what you are looking for, high punch, lack of specific targets, 4 Xwings. Yes, torps are kinda sucky, but I do not believe anything would still be alive after having 4 torps launched at it, unless it is a Slave I or a Falcon

I've been meaning to try this out. Torpedoes can be a bit hit and miss (sorry) but when they do work, they're devastating. Especially against TIEs which have no shields.

I think this squad could be very effective.

x-wing.voidstate.com/view/18

· Try my Unoffical X-Wing Squadron Builder, see the 70,000+ squadrons other players have created or a list of all the X-Wing components.
· Currently, I'm backpacking around SE Asia for a year with my wife and three identical triplet girls. Check out our blog to see where we've got to: Travels With Triplets.

#10 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

I can't see voidstate at work, so I hope this isn't the squad you posted.

I'm fond of my Red Squadron build that includes just one named pilot. Granted this would be before the battle of Yavin, so no awesome pilots would be required to be in Red Squadron yet anyway, so Garven is flying about with a trio of rookiees.

Garven w/ R2 astro (27)

1x Rookie Pilot w/ R2 astro (22)

2x Rookie Pilot w/ Protons (25)

Totals 99 points, so your PS1 mooks shoot before other PS1 mooks (or at least 50/50 on trying to)

The only time I ran this squad, it worked out very well, and that was with maneuvering flummoxes on my part resulting in losing Garven's action three times.

#11 Stunami

Stunami

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

I'm of the same mind as Vorpal on this.  Howlrunner and Vader both packing Swarm can devastate and alpha most any single ship out right now.  My personal build is Wedge+swarm, Biggs, Rookie and Red Squad.  It's light on upgrades, but brings the most reliable primary weapon attack dice that the Rebels can muster at this point.

#12 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Dewerntz said:

I like the attack power of your build, but Having such a low pilot skill I think is going to hurt you in the long run.

This is my build:

Wedge. swarm tactics. R2 D2. Proton torpedoes.

Biggs. R2 F2

Dutch. R5 K6. Ion Cannon

Dutch gets a target lock and gives wedge one. wedge then makes biggs a 9 with swarm tactics. wedge makes defending ships roll one less defence die, so he shoots with 3 attack, focus, and a target lock probably taking out a ship each turn. then biggs goes and gets some damage in. dutch disables a ship uses his target lock and possibly gets it back with r5 k6 giving another target lock to one of your ships to be used next turn. Dutch can even drop the target lock the following turn just to give both of your ships a target lock with focus.

I see where you're coming from, but again- I'm not good enough at maneuvering to be able to ships that close together without them running into each other. Looks great on paper, but in reality, I can't make it work. 

Appreciate the suggestion though! 

#13 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Duraham said:

try this:

Biggs, Wedge + torps, Rookie x2, no upgrades whatsoever. May want to change torps to R2D2

or

Biggs, Luke, Garven, Rookie, no upgrades whatsoever. May want to downgrade Biggs to Rookie to get a R2D2 on Luke

both groups would not be easy to play with, but if you get a bit lucky and know what you are doing, I think they offer a lot more than your current mook + astromech groups.

I doubt Biggs is going to be a unit that works out well for me, to be honest. I've never used him and it's highly unlikely I'm going to be able to work in a game prior to the KRT. 

I've considered the 4 Rookies w/ Torps. Still kind of thinking about it, to be honest. I mean, yeah, you're probably going to move before and shoot after most stuff, but there again- with everyone having the same PR, you can choose the best options for targeting and stuff that way. 

#14 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Eruletho said:

I can't see voidstate at work, so I hope this isn't the squad you posted.

I'm fond of my Red Squadron build that includes just one named pilot. Granted this would be before the battle of Yavin, so no awesome pilots would be required to be in Red Squadron yet anyway, so Garven is flying about with a trio of rookiees.

Garven w/ R2 astro (27)

1x Rookie Pilot w/ R2 astro (22)

2x Rookie Pilot w/ Protons (25)

Totals 99 points, so your PS1 mooks shoot before other PS1 mooks (or at least 50/50 on trying to)

The only time I ran this squad, it worked out very well, and that was with maneuvering flummoxes on my part resulting in losing Garven's action three times.

That's not bad at all… I'd have to trade out one of the R2s, but other than that… might just work. 

#15 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

Just wanted to thank everyone in the thread for taking the time to comment on my KRT ideas. For the record, I ended up going with: 

Luke w/ R2-F2 and Swarm Tactics

Red Squadron Pilot with R2 Astromech

Rookie Pilot

Rookie Pilot. 

Reflections: 

• Luke's ability saved his butt at least a dozen times over the course of the tournament. 
  • I never actually got to use R2-F2; largely because of my inability to avoid asteroids/ other ships. Lols. 
  • Swarm Tactics worked much better than I thought it would. Made a pretty big difference in my second and third matches especially. 

Came in 4th and won an A-Wing! Thanks again for all the feedback. 

#16 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:22 AM

I ended up taking Wedge w/ Swarm, Biggs, Red Sq., and a Rookie, and took 3rd in both tournaments I played in. Rebel 4-ships rock!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS