My first build-Imperial

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 afilter

afilter

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

I am new to the game….I have yet to play.  I was talked into jumping in with both feet in time for the Kessel run event this weekend.  Without really knowing much I bougth a core set and some ties.  Now that I have read the rules the rebel route would have probably been the better route.  Oh well, it should be fun and I really do not want to buy anymore with x-mas and a bday around the corner.

So anyway does this build stand a chance?  Open to any ideas for tweaks with what I have.

Vader w/cluster missiles 33pts

storm squadrom pilot w/cluster missiles 27 pts

Bckstabber 16pts

Academy pilot x2 24pts

100 pts

TIA,

Aaron

#2 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

I haven't been playing long so take my advice with a big grain of salt….so here it goes

Vader w/Swarm Tactics and Cluster missiles (35)

Tempest Sqd. w/Cluster missiles (25)

Black Sqd. (14)

Obsidian Sqd. x2 (26)

In your original build Vader would fire first but the Storm Sqd. TIE Adv. would have to wait and would, in my opinion be blown out before he could shoot. Giving Vader Swarm Tactics will allow the Tempest Sqd. TIE Adv. to fire when he does. Just have to make sure they stay within range 1 of each other.

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#3 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

My play time has not been all that great either but I am learning from some of the best. So, again, the grain of salt thing.

Looks like you are working with 3 TIEs and 2 TIE advanced. Unless you have other ships available I'm going to assume that's the case.

Agree with adding Swarm to Vader. You don't have to pick the Storm, you can spread the love around to whoever has the best shot on whoever you want to kill. Cluster missiles are cool, but look at Concussions too if you really want to run missiles. Same cost. If used at range 3 they have one more attack die and do not give the defender a bonus. Yes, Clusters let you attack twice, but max at range 2 and do not give you a bonus at range 1. If early on you can set up Vader to Swarm your other Advanced when you are both at range 3 from an intended target, you'll have 8 attack dice and no defender bonusbefore anyone else can shoot back. Early kills will be helpful.

Storm vs. Tempest, no real reason to go with the higher cost since Vader is likely going to be helping out. No real reason to be worried about being "blown out" early either, since you have the shields to prevent that. With Vader in the mix, another TIE Advanced will not be a priority target.

In the same vein, no real reason to pick Obsidians over Academy. Obsidians would have an advantage over Rebel Rookies, but that's about it. Again, it's likely that Vader will be Swarming these up as necessary. I think the four points could be used better elsewhere.

Which brings us to the final TIE. So far we have:

Vader + Swarm Tactics + XXX Missile - 35

Tempest + XXX Missile - 25

Academy Pilot x2 - 24

Total 84, so 16 points to play with. I like the original idea of Backstabber at 16, because he's totally free to detach from the rest and work into a position where his ability will come into play - i.e. behind an opponent. Dark Curse might not be a bad choice either, especially against a squad running Dutch that relies on target locks for reroll. Night Beast or Winged Gundark too, depending on which ability you think would be advantageous.

However, I would strongly consider dropping one of the missiles and using those extra four points to pay for Howlrunner with Swarm Tactics. Chaining her Swarm ability with Vader's, and having her reroll ability for everyone within range is huge. Of course, the downside is that you have to keep most of your squad in range 1 of her, which requires some planning.

Good luck, I hope this has been helpful rather than confusing!

#4 afilter

afilter

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:06 AM

Wow, good advice on the swarm as it is more versatile than the higher cost tie adv. Yes, you are correct I am working with the 5 ships listed. Appreciate the pointers.

#5 Tawnos

Tawnos

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:56 AM

Sounds like you've got the core set, a TIE expansion, and 2 TIE Advanced expansions, then?  I forget exactly what comes in each box, but if you can, give this squad a try:

• Darth Vader, Swarm Tactics (31)
  • Howlrunner, Swarm Tactics (20)
  • Backstabber (16)
  • Tempest Squadron Pilot (21)
  • Academy Pilot (12)

Forget the missiles.  I'm not anti-missile/torpedo necessarily, but unless you've got some ability to improve their efficiency (like Wedge or Horton), I find that they add a lot of uncertainty to your squad for their point value.

In my experience, dropping the missiles and upgrading to Howlrunner and Backstabber will net you the extra dice you would have gotten off the missiles over the course of a game, and you can do it without needing to waste actions on Target Locks for missiles.  Howlrunner's ability doesn't affect secondary weapons, so taking named pilots with primary weapon abilities (like Backstabber) over missiles makes Howlrunner that much better.

Also, with Howlrunner you afford yourself a second Swarm Tactics, which will bring the Tempest and Academy pilot up to the high end of pilot skill in combat, leaving your lowest at Backstabber with a 6.  Swarm Tactics doesn't cost an action, either, which is one of the reasons it's so powerful.

A successful strategy for this kind of squad will be to rush the Tempest Squadron and Academy pilot out front, attempting to get in the way of your opponent's movement, causing collisions and denying them their actions.  Then, use Swarm Tactics to bring them up to the top of the firing order during combat.  Ask Doug (aka Hothie) about this tactic if you want to know more.

Make judicious use of Evades to protect your squad.  You're only 5 ships; that's light for an Imperial squad, so every point of damage you take is going to hurt badly.  Focus fire to the best of your ability, and try to keep everyone in range of Howlrunner (at the very least Vader and Backstabber).

Good hunting!

#6 afilter

afilter

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

Very interesting, I will toy with these suggestions tonight. Thanks

#7 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

Tawnos said:

Sounds like you've got the core set, a TIE expansion, and 2 TIE Advanced expansions, then?  I forget exactly what comes in each box, but if you can, give this squad a try:

• Backstabber (16)
  • Academy Pilot (12)

Forget the missiles.  I'm not anti-missile/torpedo necessarily, but unless you've got some ability to improve their efficiency (like Wedge or Horton), I find that they add a lot of uncertainty to your squad for their point value.

In my experience, dropping the missiles and upgrading to Howlrunner and Backstabber will net you the extra dice you would have gotten off the missiles over the course of a game, and you can do it without needing to waste actions on Target Locks for missiles.  Howlrunner's ability doesn't affect secondary weapons, so taking named pilots with primary weapon abilities (like Backstabber) over missiles makes Howlrunner that much better.

Also, with Howlrunner you afford yourself a second Swarm Tactics, which will bring the Tempest and Academy pilot up to the high end of pilot skill in combat, leaving your lowest at Backstabber with a 6.  Swarm Tactics doesn't cost an action, either, which is one of the reasons it's so powerful.

A successful strategy for this kind of squad will be to rush the Tempest Squadron and Academy pilot out front, attempting to get in the way of your opponent's movement, causing collisions and denying them their actions.  Then, use Swarm Tactics to bring them up to the top of the firing order during combat.  Ask Doug (aka Hothie) about this tactic if you want to know more.

Make judicious use of Evades to protect your squad.  You're only 5 ships; that's light for an Imperial squad, so every point of damage you take is going to hurt badly.  Focus fire to the best of your ability, and try to keep everyone in range of Howlrunner (at the very least Vader and Backstabber).

Good hunting!

I really like this list, this one is very worthy of trying out for new players

#8 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

I played 2 Academy, 2 Obsidian, and 2 Tempest Squadron Pilots last night against my neighbor, who has only played a handful of times. I got worked! I think the above squads look much more promising than mine.

Okay, so my squad was really just an experiment, and actually I am willing to give it another try, but perhaps with 4 Academy and 2 Tempest w/ Cluster Missiles. But low pilot skill takes lives! This is why I like the idea of having Vader, so I may choose him + Swarm Tactics instead of missiles.

#9 afilter

afilter

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Tawnos said:

• Backstabber (16)
  • Academy Pilot (12)

Good hunting!

I have gone back and forth, but I think this is the build I am going with.  Lacks the big first punch, but with good synergy and some lucky dice I think it can do well.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS