Favorite FAQ

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Q: Can an investigator who entered the Other World during the Movement Phase because of the Nightgaunt’s combat ability immediately cast Find Gate and return to Arkham, experiencing no Other World encounters?

A: Yes.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

The Professor said:

Q: Can an investigator who entered the Other World during the Movement Phase because of the Nightgaunt’s combat ability immediately cast Find Gate and return to Arkham, experiencing no Other World encounters?

SIGH.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

Q: Why wouldn’t an investigator take out a Bank Loan, give all of his items and money to other investigators, and then default deliberately on the loan?

A: Although an investigator can gain a Bank Loan and give all of his money and items to another investigator, he cannot deliberately default on the loan. When a player is rolling for his Bank Loan during the Upkeep Phase, if he rolls a 4–6, he does not have the option to lose the Bank Loan. An investigator may not wish be without any money or items for an uncertain amount of time.

This makes sense, and it reduces the exploitability of the Bank Loan.

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

Julia,

I'm sorry, my dear…but, you can see that I'm not impressed with their Monster Surges vs. Kate's Ability interpretation, so let me know what you think of how I'll play it (not surprisingly, of course, how quite a few folks will play it).

Cheers,

Joe 

The Professor

#5 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

eiterorm said:

Q: Why wouldn’t an investigator take out a Bank Loan, give all of his items and money to other investigators, and then default deliberately on the loan?

A: Although an investigator can gain a Bank Loan and give all of his money and items to another investigator, he cannot deliberately default on the loan. When a player is rolling for his Bank Loan during the Upkeep Phase, if he rolls a 4–6, he does not have the option to lose the Bank Loan. An investigator may not wish be without any money or items for an uncertain amount of time.

This makes sense, and it reduces the exploitability of the Bank Loan.

O_o…  I always played it like that, and it's still super exploitable ;'D

The only thing that makes it somewhat less potent is that trading is now movement phase only (still, it's very exploitable if you're willing to sacrifice a turn or two of your game for 40-50 dollars, which usually comes back to you anyway, in the form of an elder sign and other time saving items).

#6 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

The Professor said:

Julia,

I'm sorry, my dear…but, you can see that I'm not impressed with their Monster Surges vs. Kate's Ability interpretation, so let me know what you think of how I'll play it (not surprisingly, of course, how quite a few folks will play it).

Cheers,

Joe 

I argued for making Kate's ability as strong as possible (because she's fairly weak anyway, except when using her game breaking exploit combo spell, the name escapes me).  Clearly I lost that one.

#7 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

The Professor said:

Yikes.  This is a horrible ruling.  I guess they just needed to make the game easier because Lurker wasn't enough ;'D

Nightgaunt/findgate combo will be quite exploitable now…  You can close a gate per turn (provided you keep the nightgaunt out of the sky).  Closing victories will be fairly easy with a nightgaunt on the board (if you have an investigator in the streets to lure it out of the sky) and a secondary investigator to keep it in the streets instead of moving back to the sky).  If you have two find gates…  ::Sigh::  Bad ruling.  Not as easily exploitable with a small team, but 5+ ::shudder::

Even with a small team, it really makes the game a lot easier…  At least they still made it so you couldn't White Ship/Find Gate combo.

#8 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:11 AM

P.S. Happy birthday, Prof :')

#9 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:19 AM

Julia said:

The Professor said:

SIGH.

Well, you may notice a slight change to the A.H.F.C.L. rules page ;')

#10 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:28 AM

Avi_dreader said:

The only thing that makes it somewhat less potent is that trading is now movement phase only (still, it's very exploitable if you're willing to sacrifice a turn or two of your game for 40-50 dollars, which usually comes back to you anyway, in the form of an elder sign and other time saving items).

I said it reduces the exploitability, not that it removes the exploitability. ;-] I've always played with the rule that trading can only happen during the movement phase. I can't see why it would make much of a difference for the Bank Loan exploitation, though.

And spending the first few turns rushing for the bank, taking out a Bank Loan and dumping all your possessions on another investigator sounds rather boring to me. I won't play like that even if it provides my team with 40 dollars.

#11 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:49 AM

Thanks, Avi (I'm writing it here instead of the other thread dealing with Monster Surges and Kate).  as to the Nightgaunt…I completely agree with both you and Julia.  Nightgaunts will now stay for me (they hadn't in the past), but once you're thrown into a gate, your turn is over.  There's NO WAY someone is getting a free pass in the Other World.  Ever!

Oh, and it's not my birthday (which was back in October), but thanks for the well-wishes.  I am, however, "pinning-on" Lieutenant Colonel at the end of the week, as I'm a reservist in the Air Force.

The Professor

#12 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

Avi_dreader said:

I argued for making Kate's ability as strong as possible (because she's fairly weak anyway, except when using her game breaking exploit combo spell, the name escapes me). 

Arcane Insight?

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#13 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:04 AM

The Professor said:

Julia,

Cheers,

Joe 

Sure! As soon as I realize the subject of your asking ::laughter:: must be in another thread, gonna search for it right now

#14 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

Avi_dreader said:

Yikes.  This is a horrible ruling.  I guess they just needed to make the game easier because Lurker wasn't enough ;'D

Absolutely. Now as soon as you have a Nightgaunt in play, not only you can use it as a teleporter for the nearest gate (saving Sanity by simply failing the Evade check) but you can also use it to avoid ANY encounter in the OW ::disgusted::

Plus, I still don't understand how is possible to cast a Movement phase spell after your movement is over

#15 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:09 AM

Avi_dreader said:

Well, you may notice a slight change to the A.H.F.C.L. rules page ;')

Football Club - Liverpool?

At least, I've seen all your names acknowledged :-)

#16 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

The Professor said:

Thanks, Avi (I'm writing it here instead of the other thread dealing with Monster Surges and Kate).  as to the Nightgaunt…I completely agree with both you and Julia.  Nightgaunts will now stay for me (they hadn't in the past), but once you're thrown into a gate, your turn is over.  There's NO WAY someone is getting a free pass in the Other World.  Ever!

Thanks for supporting :-)

#17 Two_Hands

Two_Hands

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

eiterorm said:

Avi_dreader said:

I said it reduces the exploitability, not that it removes the exploitability. ;-] I've always played with the rule that trading can only happen during the movement phase. I can't see why it would make much of a difference for the Bank Loan exploitation, though.

And spending the first few turns rushing for the bank, taking out a Bank Loan and dumping all your possessions on another investigator sounds rather boring to me. I won't play like that even if it provides my team with 40 dollars.

My house rule to prevent the bank loan exploit (and make bank loans more evil in general) is that if you cannot lose at least $10 worth of items when you default, you lose any further items/money you gain on subsequent turns until you have lost at least $10 worth. I keep track of it by putting the bank loan in the "exhausted" position beside the character with the items which have been lost underneath it.

#18 Two_Hands

Two_Hands

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Also, is it just me or does this not make any sense:

Q: When you are losing Stamina or Sanity to gain power, using the Upkeep function of a Blood or Soul pact, is it a cost or a loss?
A: It is a loss.

You are burning stamina / sanity to buy power tokens. I don't see why Michael / Harvey should be able to do it for free, or why getting drunk should help (the Lurker likes a nice bottle of whiskey, maybe?)

#19 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

Perhaps it should have been a cost, but it's OK as a loss. Harvey and Michael are only getting one free token per use, and since you're not allowed to gain Power Tokens in final combat, they can't use them to permanently reduce sanity or stamina loss and survive indefinitely against certain AOs.

The only issue I see is that if you have some item that says, "prevent all sanity or stamina loss," then you can set the loss amount arbitrarily high. If it was a cost, you'd be limited by your current amount of sanity/stamina, even if you could prevent it all.

#20 Two_Hands

Two_Hands

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

Tibs said:

Perhaps it should have been a cost, but it's OK as a loss. Harvey and Michael are only getting one free token per use, and since you're not allowed to gain Power Tokens in final combat, they can't use them to permanently reduce sanity or stamina loss and survive indefinitely against certain AOs.

The only issue I see is that if you have some item that says, "prevent all sanity or stamina loss," then you can set the loss amount arbitrarily high. If it was a cost, you'd be limited by your current amount of sanity/stamina, even if you could prevent it all.

I didn't even consider that- so Obsidian Statue = unlimited power.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS