DS-Automated Defense System

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nikas Zekeval

Nikas Zekeval

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

Quick question, when you roll two dice do you loose one unit for EACH 6+?  For example I roll into a system with a carrier, one fighter, and a cruiser.  I land one infantry on the planet, and flip over the ADS marker.  If the rolls are 7 and 4, does that mean I lose both the infantry and one ship?

#2 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

Yes, each "hit" will hit both a ship and a landing GF at the same time.  It can be a nasty effect!

#3 Nikas Zekeval

Nikas Zekeval

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:15 PM

sigmazero13 said:

Yes, each "hit" will hit both a ship and a landing GF at the same time.  It can be a nasty effect!

Ouch, bring a Carrier, two Fighters and Three Ground forces if you are trying to crack that nut then.  Which worse case would be a straight up trade for the 'free' PDS that comes from conquering that world.

#4 oblin15

oblin15

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

But the again, the ds counter dosent iplyfy that fighters cant be taken as casualty.

And fighter arnt considerd a ship, but it was ruled as a ships in this case so if you bring alonge 2 fighters you are fine

#5 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:59 AM

oblin15 said:

And fighter arnt considerd a ship, but it was ruled as a ships in this case so if you bring alonge 2 fighters you are fine

Fighters ARE considered ships, though.  The only place where it says otherwise is a FAQ entry that contradicts everything in the rulebook and other cards, and the FAQ entry isn't even really addressing the definition of ships, really.

Anything where Fighters are excluded say "Non-Fighter ships".

I should find the thread where this was discussed, as I went through the entire rulebook for the base set, the Shattered Empires rules, the ACs and PCS, and the FAQ, and every single place was consistent with Fighters being ships except for one errant FAQ entry that I can only assume was an oversight, because it doesn't match anything else.

#6 Tawnos76

Tawnos76

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:46 AM

Unless it says non-fighter ships then Fighters are to be considered ships.  They can be taken as casualties from ADS just like any other ship. 

#7 Nikas Zekeval

Nikas Zekeval

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:19 AM

AFAICT the only rules that fighters are not treated like ships are the Fleet Supply/Fighter Capacity rules and that baring riding on a Carrier/Warsun they cannot move independantly.  Without Advanced Fighters you are limited to the total Carrier/Shipyard/Warsun capacity in system, but fighters do not count as a 'ship' for Fleet supply.  Save when you exceed that capacity with AF.

#8 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp

This link has a thread where near the end of page 1, I list a bunch of rules examples, and on page 2, I list a bunch of AC/PC examples.

There are a few things where Fighters are excluded from things that other ships are included (such as Fleet Supply, etc).  But they are still ships :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS