Surtur

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

Falcon:

http://www.afewmaneu...c.php?f=8&t=250

Slave 1:

http://boardgamegeek...stern-australia

So now that we have the stats, let's discuss which ship has the better theoretical advantage. Who got the better deal from wave 2?

#2 Inksplat

Inksplat

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

Slave 1 is a weapons platform. Missiles, Torpedos, and Mines. Brutal. But that's pretty much all its got.

The Falcon, on the other hand, can be a Support ship (Lando), a Tank (Chewie), or a ridiculously accurate attacker (Han + Luke). 

So, I don't think anyone got screwed, at least.

#3 Melkor503

Melkor503

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

I love the flexibility that Firespray provides. Gonna be really fun exquiping with all the options that are available. Yeah, neither side got screwed. I do like Firespray more, as it fits my play style better. Can't wait to get one!

#4 Surtur

Surtur

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

I'm not saying that one side got screwed. I'm just curious as to what the concensus is on who got what they needed and got it for a good price.

#5 Inksplat

Inksplat

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

Surtur said:

I'm not saying that one side got screwed. I'm just curious as to what the concensus is on who got what they needed and got it for a good price.

I think both sides got what they need, is all I meant. The Rebs are all about teamwork, so the Falcon's flexibility fits perfectly, and the Imps are about overwhelming force, so the Slave 1 totally fits right in there as well. I think its a really nice balance.

#6 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

I belive both are balanced out perfectly and from what I hear from alot of people Fantasy Flight Games are extreamly good in balanceing out there games, And after playing both Rebels and Empire I belive it to be true.

Although I do Favor the Firespray because I'm a bounty hunter fan and a Empire fanboy. I already have the Firespray on pre-order.

I see the Falcon being tanky.

It will be interesting to see lists bult around these two. As for I fear they are going to be really expensive in points, I see either Firespay or Falcon with two or maybe 3 ships the most in a list build.

#7 Inksplat

Inksplat

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Grave13 said:

I belive both are balanced out perfectly and from what I hear from alot of people Fantasy Flight Games are extreamly good in balanceing out there games, And after playing both Rebels and Empire I belive it to be true.

Although I do Favor the Firespray because I'm a bounty hunter fan and a Empire fanboy. I already have the Firespray on pre-order.

It will be interesting to see lists bult around these two. As for I fear they are going to be really expensive in points, I see either Firespay or Falcon with two or maybe 3 ships the most in a list build.

Fully maxed out Boba is like 71 points. So yeah, he can be pricey if you want to pimp him out.

#8 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Inksplat said:

Grave13 said:

Fully maxed out Boba is like 71 points. So yeah, he can be pricey if you want to pimp him out.

Fully pimped out Boba is soooo tempting lol

#9 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Falcon feels like a bigger Ywing, and has much higher costs as well, even before counting in all the other tons of upgrades and stuff you would slap onto it. Slave I gives the imperials a lot more firepower and a big tank, but not much else. As usual, rebels have more synergy with one another at the expense of higher costs, while the imperials have stuff that are generally more stand-alone (imagine the hard time coordinating mine laying and a small group of TIEs trying to fly past that same area)

either way, better to wait and play than speculate too much, else we will get another assault-calypse

#10 Melkor503

Melkor503

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

I feel like if the Bounty Hunter pilot for the Firespray had the same type of stat downgrades that the ORS for the YT-1300, and had its cost in the low-to-mid 20's, then the Imperials would have won this depate.  Because the stats were kept the same, and the cost higher, it really does bring balance to both sides, with no clear-cut winner.  Oh, they both won, but for very different reasons.  

.Personally, I feel that the Firespray has a lot of fun options that make it tricky to learn how to play effectively.  Mid-Feb can't come soon enough for me! 

#11 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

For me, it's the Firespray. I may change my mind once I see them on the table, the Falcon is too many points riding on a ship with 1 Agility. The 360 firing arc makes a lot of difference, and so does picking up the evade action, but committing half of my points to a ship that dodges like a Y-wing seems like a gamble.

The Firespray costs less, and is a lot more likely to see the end of the battle. Unless I can convince my FLGS to offer two starfighters as prizes, I'm playing for Slave I on Saturday.

#12 DeadInkPen

DeadInkPen

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:23 AM

I have to agree, I am going for the Firespray myself. 2 agility with an evade icon makes it looks like it will last a lot longer then the YT. 

#13 Inksplat

Inksplat

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:51 AM

The stat downgrade on the YT makes sense thematically to me, simply because even if not flying the Falcon, Lando, Chewie, or Han would be flying a YT modified for combat. The basic Smuggler, on the other hand, would be mostly focused on avoiding conflict in his normal dealings.

As for dodging like a Y-Wing, with the fact that almost every YT is going to be sporting Evade, it is a pretty dangerous situation to get close to one of these things.

I mean, a TIE getting in close is going to be dealing with the same +1 that they're hunting, because of the 360 turret. And if you're dealing with a Han + Luke combo… uh.. yeah, you're getting hit. Add in a Stealth Device, and you've got a ship that is pretty intimidating to close on.

#14 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:29 AM

Inksplat said:

The stat downgrade on the YT makes sense thematically to me, simply because even if not flying the Falcon, Lando, Chewie, or Han would be flying a YT modified for combat. The basic Smuggler, on the other hand, would be mostly focused on avoiding conflict in his normal dealings.

As for dodging like a Y-Wing, with the fact that almost every YT is going to be sporting Evade, it is a pretty dangerous situation to get close to one of these things.

I mean, a TIE getting in close is going to be dealing with the same +1 that they're hunting, because of the 360 turret. And if you're dealing with a Han + Luke combo… uh.. yeah, you're getting hit. Add in a Stealth Device, and you've got a ship that is pretty intimidating to close on.

What I would be worried about, in that case, is my opponent's secondary weapons. Two dice + Evade isn't going to save you from a Focused concussion missile (let alone a homing missile), Focused heavy laser cannon, torpedoes from Salm/Wedge, etc.--and then you're back to 1 die + Evade.

And now we're back to my original point, which is that as you've described it you have Han + Luke + (nonfunctional) Stealth Device + Milennium Falcon title all riding inside the same hull, and worth 57 points if I kill it. It's still a tough hull, and it's going to hurt me back, but if I take that out in tournament-style play I'm pretty much guaranteed at least a modified win.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still totally buy one when they're available. But it won't have a place in every list I run, and if I play it in a tournament it's more likely to be Outer Rim Smuggler + Gunner than Han + Luke.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS