New AP: Encounter at Amon Din

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:27 AM

“The beacons of Gondor are alight, calling for aid. War is kindled. See, there is the fire on Amon Dîn.”
    –Gandalf, The Return of the King

Emerging from The Drúadan Forest, Middle-earth’s heroes begin their return journey to Minas Tirith, but dark plumes of smoke rise across the lands of Anórien. Amon Dîn is burning, and it falls to your heroes to save the village’s citizens from the spreading fires and the threat of an Orcish siege.

Encounter at Amon Dîn is the tale of a dramatic rescue mission, but whether the mission succeeds or fails is up to you! You’ll have to move quickly, battle Orcs, and fight fires, and you’ll need to take advantage of whatever assistance you can find.

#2 DarthJalapeno

DarthJalapeno

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

Hobbit love! reir

#3 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

Sounds loke we have a first hobbit Deck around soon. Frodo/Pippin/Bilbo.

Fasy Hitch, Elberet Giltoniel, Good meal, Erebor boots, G greetings, Test of will, hasty stroke, many secrecy lore and spirit cards should to work there too.

Sounds quite funny.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#4 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

Screw you richsabre reir !

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#5 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

you know i dont usually do this but what the hell….i was right !!!! hahahahaha….hobbit love indeed cangrejo cangrejo………(if youre wondering about the lobsters the smileys are still in spanish so ive no idea what they all are)

as i said when i predicted it, it sort of makes sense to release them now (especially pip…though im happy he isnt 'gondorized' yet)..any later and it would feel rather late for hobbits to be making an entrance

so great cards all round!

and sorry dam!!

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#6 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

Dam said:

Screw you richsabre reir !

Dont worry Dan they die fast!  Hobbits sneaky hobbits!

But i think it will be fun deck and i would like to play it.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#7 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

i expect the hobbits to be a very fun race to play, i am sure they shall become instant favourites (ive never been an all out attack player so i think they shall appeal to my style)

#8 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

Playing the Hobbit deck will be like teabagging the encounter deck. "Oh, hey there, Hill-troll. Looks like you're coming to attack--NOPE, bounced back to the staging area by Pippin. Okay, okay, I'll actually let you engage me next turn. Now, how about you miss this Small Target and smack that dude over there? Alright, alright, I promise I'm done. WHOOP, just kidding! Hobbit-sense negates your attack."

You won't defeat enemies so much as you'll toy with them in hilarious ways. Plus, the Hobbit deck will have really solid questing power with a very low starting threat. Should be a ton of fun.

#9 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

A hobbit secrecy deck would be a lot of fun to play but eventually it's got to be able to kill something right?  Still need to see some more viable cards for the archetype before taking on a quest solo. Will only get better with time when we eventually get Merry and Sam

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#10 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

I'm loving the hobbit love. I've wanted to make a hobbit deck since this game came out but obviously did not have the cards to do it. I especially like the flavor they're going for with the new hobbit cards: hard to hit and tricky little devils. That is fantastic and should be fun to play.

The big problem I have is with the lore of this AP. Something seems messed up. From what I remember in the books, Amon Din was simply a beacon tower that would lit to send warning to Rohan. From the description of the quest given in the preview, they state that Amon Din is a village that is under attack and is burning. I fear the author of the AP may have misread that section of the book. What do you think?

#11 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Pharmboys2013 said:

A hobbit secrecy deck would be a lot of fun to play but eventually it's got to be able to kill something right?  Still need to see some more viable cards for the archetype before taking on a quest solo. Will only get better with time when we eventually get Merry and Sam

Pharmboys2013 said:

Presumebly the idea is that the weak hobbits can hide while amassing allies and progressing in the quest and then if they do have to kill anything it will be with a lot of set-up time because of their low threat and tricky ways.

Personally I would run two hobbits (probably Pippin and Bilbo) and go fo a secrecy deck - I don't think that Pippin and Frodo's abilities actually combo very well. (nor Does Frodo really work well with the new cards, since his special ability is taking hits - which they both negate).

#12 John85

John85

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

I was going to say how excited rich would be about this, but he's already been here. So do we get Sam and Merry:
a) in APs 1 and 2

b) in later APs from the cycle

c) not in this cycle

I know that doesn't allow all possibilities (since I'm taking the two as one unit), but what does everyone think? APs 1 and 2 heros haven't been spoiled yet, right?

#13 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Style75 said:

The big problem I have is with the lore of this AP. Something seems messed up. From what I remember in the books, Amon Din was simply a beacon tower that would lit to send warning to Rohan. From the description of the quest given in the preview, they state that Amon Din is a village that is under attack and is burning. I fear the author of the AP may have misread that section of the book. What do you think?

well people would need to live in the area to be ready to light the beacon- i assume a village isnt a huge step from the lore…though i cant remember if its ever referenced

as to whether we get the other 2 hobbits, i think we shall, certainly given the fact ffg are pushing the hobbit trait in the spoilers. as i said before, i think hobbits to this cycle will be noldor to the dwarrowdelf

rich

#14 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

My guess we will see one more Hobbit ally and another card or two but not another ally. It is not like with Dwarves that we have 4 heroes of them in each sphere, Gondor only has 5 heroes in total right now and she is desperate to get more.

Two hero secrecy doesn't seem like a good idea from my experience. And with no more secrecy cards in this cycle (presumably) it is not about to change soon.

Pippin is interesting. And I really like Small Target. What makes me reconsider the above statement about no more Hobbit heroes is the fact the other Hobbit event is Leadership, argh…

#15 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

lleimmoen said:

Pippin is interesting. And I really like Small Target. What makes me reconsider the above statement about no more Hobbit heroes is the fact the other Hobbit event is Leadership, argh…

Hobbit-sense? That event is Neutral. 

#16 impaulm

impaulm

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

In the second quest of HoN there is an encounter card I think called Lost Companion. It has a non-generic hobbit on it that doesn't look like one we've seen so far, and different from the new Pippin I think. It is one of Magali's cards, and she likes to use the same likeness for any of the characters that she does when represented on multiple cards. (See Legolas and hands upon the bow/ Boromir and Path of Need/ Arwen objective and Ally). 

Maybe this is a sneak preview for another hobbit on its way. 

#17 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

on a related note i much prefer pippin to magalis bilbos.

rich

#18 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

I love how they are focusing on hobbits now. And I have a small hope that they'll make Sam with awesome stats, because… He's awesome. :o)

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#19 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

I think this adventure pack should be the one exception to the 'one hero in each pack' rule. Merry and Pippen should come together. ^_^

#20 Mighty Jim

Mighty Jim

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

Mattr0polis said:

I think this adventure pack should be the one exception to the 'one hero in each pack' rule. Merry and Pippen should come together. ^_^

Merry and Pippin spend quite a bit of time apart (fighting in the siege of Gondor / riding with the Rohirrim)

ElladanandElrohir could be one word for the frequency with which they're ever referred to seperately. They came in two different packs.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS