Too Much of a Good Thing?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DevoutBadger

DevoutBadger

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

I took advantage of Fantasy Flight's sale of 3rd Edition WFRP stuff and bought quite and abundance of wonderful goodness.

Sorting through it brought a question to my mind though: If I have 2 (or more) decks of Wound or Disease decks, due to having a full set and a Game Masters Vault, does it create a problem mixing them?

Is there some kind of specific frequency of occurance that the individual cards are supposed to have that is ruined if you have doubles of say the base set but only one set from somwhere else?

#2 GoblynKing

GoblynKing

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

DevoutBadger said:

I took advantage of Fantasy Flight's sale of 3rd Edition WFRP stuff and bought quite and abundance of wonderful goodness.

Sorting through it brought a question to my mind though: If I have 2 (or more) decks of Wound or Disease decks, due to having a full set and a Game Masters Vault, does it create a problem mixing them?

Is there some kind of specific frequency of occurance that the individual cards are supposed to have that is ruined if you have doubles of say the base set but only one set from somwhere else?

I actually built a custom deck of wounds for my players to draw from using the two base sets (one from the Core box, another from the GM's vault), and the extra cards included in Omens of War. To do this, I simply thumbed through the cards and took out a number of duplicates to increase the variety and flavor of Critical Wounds. With the rest of the cards I built a wound deck for myself to keep behind the GMs screen. Though NPCs and baddies don't sumemr from Crits, I still draw from the deck to track basic wounds (I find the chit/token method to be tedious).

Hope this helps.

#3 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:21 AM

I know my players would probably be happy that there was a bigger spread between 2 decks of standard wounds and the omens of war permanent injury (and Hero's Call mortal wounds) cards….

>:)

jh

#4 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

I choose not to add in 'extras' of wound cards I got precisely because it would skew away from the Severe Injuiries.  I would need to get a "2nd set of those" to throw in if I added in all the extras.  

#5 Kilsern

Kilsern

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

Good question, and frankly, something I never thought of. So here is a question for knuckle heads like me that threw them all into one happy pile with no forethought, did the Core come with duplicates of any Wound cards? If so, how many of each should I have? I own the Core, and I believe the GM Vault came with all the Wounds cards from the Core, and the GM Tool Kit may have as well. I thinks I mades me a mess to clean up.

#6 cronevald

cronevald

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

KIlsern, here's the card and component pdf from the support page.  It hasn't been updated in awhile but it should tell you which wound cards are in the core set.

http://www.fantasyfl...List_9-8-11.pdf

#7 Kilsern

Kilsern

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Thank You. Muchly appreciated

#8 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

NPCs do suffer from Criticals… it is just Henchmen that don't, at least according to RAW (relatively recent discovery for us). However, the crits are generally rather underwhelming for enemies so we just use the "extra damage" option across all bad guys. Getting a crit result and then drawing something that give the big dragon a black dice to all fellowship tests is a bit dissapointing.

#9 DevoutBadger

DevoutBadger

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

borithan said:

NPCs do suffer from Criticals… it is just Henchmen that don't, at least according to RAW (relatively recent discovery for us). However, the crits are generally rather underwhelming for enemies so we just use the "extra damage" option across all bad guys. Getting a crit result and then drawing something that give the big dragon a black dice to all fellowship tests is a bit dissapointing.

Yes, but if you give the big dragon with an 8 (?) Toughness 8 Criticals, doesn't it die, even though it still has Wounds left?

#10 Superchunk

Superchunk

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

According to the rules no it doesn't. You'd need to both exceed it's wound threshold in Wounds AND deal it 9 critical wounds.

However, characters normally won't need to worry about critical wounds once the dragon has been knocked out from regular wounds as they can simply kill the thing if it's lying there defenseless.

I would probably houserule that though so that you'd only need to satisfy one of those requirements rather than both. If characters manage to deal 9 criticals to a dragon I would give them the kill regardless of wounds myself. That's pretty impressive.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS