Photo

Pls explain this encounter card, i really dont understand…

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

Y'ha-nthlei

The creatures are engaged in some sort of ritual! You are immediately sucked through the open gate with the most difficult modifier (your choice if there are two equally difficult gates). If there are no open gates, nothing happens.

No-open-gates=win the game.

#2 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

And if i am sucked through the gate do i get delayed?

#3 kilrah

kilrah

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

The game is only won when all gates are closed AND the group has gate tropies at least equal to the number of players. So no gates open and game still running can happen.

I don't think you are delayed as the rule for that is only for gates opening in the mythos phase, which is not the case here. Its the other world phase and no gate opened.

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:02 AM

Kilrah,

That's not exactly accurate ~ an Investigator is delayed during an Arkham Encounter and the card reveals that a Gate Opens or during the Mythos Phase. The only two times I know you're not delayed are when you move to (Movement Phase) and through (Arkham Encounter Phase) an open Gate on the board OR a Nightgaunt draws you thriugh an open Gate.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#5 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,419 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

Some other cases exist in which you are not delayed. For instance, if you enter a gate willingly as result of an encounter. There is one at the Newspaper where Doyle Jeffries asks you for an avidence of the Mythos, and you gain a Retainer card if you enter a gate. In this case, I'd say you're not delayed as well.

In the OP's case, I'd say the investigator is not delayed as well (the encounter has an effect similar to a failed combat check against a Night-gaunt; if the Night-gaunt does not delay you, neither this encounter should)

(and of course, in the last few months I've played so rarely AH, that I can't imagine Tibs or someone else nailing me down for this answer ::laughter::)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#6 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

Right, that's what I'd go with. A gate is not opening on you, so you should not be delayed.

#7 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,419 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

Julia said:

can't imagine Tibs or someone else nailing me down for this answer ::laughter::)

"Can't imagine not being nailed down by… for this answer" ::laughter:: don't know why I worded the previous sentence that way.

Anyway, I'm glad I gave the correct answer :-)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#8 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

Thanks, Julia!  There are so many exceptions I definitely lose track.  I, too, have had a long period between games, but will rectify that problem once we re-launch the KS Project.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS