Best published

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chall

chall

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

Being sort of new to the setting (I've read wikipedia but am looking for a physical book or product, used to own the 1st ed. Fantasy Roleplay when it first came out but sold it years ago) and not having 3rd ed. yet, its on the way, can someone give me a list or point me toward the best "book" (RPG or not) for an understanding of the setting. Also what would be the best sources of information for trying to get a Lustria campaign going?

#2 Johannes_Tippmeister

Johannes_Tippmeister

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

I find this harder to answer than I had imagined.

Truth to be told, the tone and the setting of wfrp are something that is always lingering in the background of many adventures and source books. It's in the stories, the dark humour, the not-so-high-and-heroic way of telling all these little sinister secrets that each and every denizen seems to have.

In any case, I'd say that the original "Enemy Within" campaign really introduced us to how a wfrp evening should be like. To me, its subtitle has always been "This is Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay". Though this is a bit expensive to get a hold of and a bit much to read.

I suppose you could just read "The Ratcatcher's Tale" to get an idea of what wfrp is in contrast to other RPGs.

http://www.fantasyfl...atchersTale.pdf

FFG certainly did a good job to get the tone and theme across ;-)

#3 Angelic Despot

Angelic Despot

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

The 2nd edition book, Sigmar's Heirs, also has a lot of setting material.   It's out of print, but you can still find it for a not too terrible price: http://www.amazon.co...55008746&sr=8-1 (link is really just so you know what the product is, rather than an endorsment of Amazon).   I think you can get a digital copy from DriveThru RPG too.

Although Lustria exists in the setting, I think the honest, pratical answer is that it's really not WFRP.   No published material has ever been set there, as far as I'm aware, and it's not a very well developed place.   Although set in the Warhammer World, if we're honest, the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying game is set in the Empire.   It may spill over into the mountain passes, go on trips to Kislev, or into dwarf holds, but the Empire is what it's really about.

Of the published 3rd edition material, I think Signs of Faith is possibly the best for giving you background and setting information.   The religious cults are applicable to virtually everyone in the empire, and material describing how they fit in to society is useful.   (Wheras magic is mostly only applicable to magic users themselves.)   It also has a calendar and information on diseases - both of which help set the scene.   I think the scenario needs a bit of work, but there are many good elements in it that very much convey the feel of the setting.

#4 chall

chall

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Thank you both or answering. For general overview would the book World of Warhammer published in '98 be any good? For Lustria do the war game books Lizardmen and Lustria  have any setting details of use?

#5 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

chall said:

Thank you both or answering. For general overview would the book World of Warhammer published in '98 be any good? For Lustria do the war game books Lizardmen and Lustria  have any setting details of use?

All armybooks and supplements published for Warhammer Fantasy Battle are good when it comes to backstory. You might want downgrade them a bit as they are quite high on the megamonsters and magic items. Oh and the books by Forgeworld are good too.

I also would like to guide you to check out Liber Fanatica (a fanzine for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, issues 7-9 have stats for WFRP3 but all of them have great stuff for any game) and my blog the Daily Empire (for inspiration, adventures and guides for starting the game).

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#6 Captain Fluffy

Captain Fluffy

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

I haven't read either of them but there are a couple of Black Library novels set, at leats partly, in Lustria.  They are The Burning Shore by Robert Earl and Temple of the Serpent by C L Werner. 

In terms of the best published book it is a difficult call. The book I refer to most often when preparing adventures is probably Sigmar's Heirs which Angelic Despot has already mentioned.  In fact I would probably say that if all of my WFRP suff was destroyed I would sart rebuilding my collection with just the core set, Sigmar's Heirs and the creature vault.  

There are several other threads on this board discussing good warhammer novels.  They tend to be a mixed bag and are often focused on more heroic antics than the average rpg group get up to but many are still good for flavor. I personnally like the Blackhearts Omnibus by Nathan Long but there are also several anthologies of short stories which are good.

Another thing to consider is that there is a four page warhammer primer available on the download section of the warpstone web site. It was prepared for 1st edition but if you remove the section on the gods of law then most of it still holds true.

Give me more fluff and less rules

Hear me on the Tabletop Chronicles Podcast
https://itunes.apple...ast/id670638100

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS