Only War: Hammer of the Emperor

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Arbitrator

Arbitrator

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

Hammer of the Emperor is a handbook for the brave soldiers of the Imperial Guard. New options for regiment creation and mixed regiments, along with details on renowned regiments like the Attilan Rough Riders and Tanith First-and-Only, give players unique ways to wage war in the 41st Millennium. Plus, enhance your missions with new Advanced Specialties, an expanded armoury, rules for Mounted Combat, and much more!

Looks good to me! Quite sure the regiments could be made up of your own accord by using the creation rules if FFG really is making their own from the rules given in the Core Rulebook but having some official backing is never a bad thing. Having mixed regiments will make at least one person in my group happy. Also, cavalry rules, yay! 

#2 Psion

Psion

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Alright, I'll admit it.  The vaguely cynical side of me wants to say "well, that didn't take very long" though at the same time I must admit this might be interesting.  I might consider breaking down for these two books even though my roleplay group disbanded a year ago.  Who knows, maybe the Imperial Guard would represent a compromise between my group's Orky-like desire to go smashy-smashy and mine for something requiring a little more thought.

I'll have to grab a preview or a review when these books start making the rounds.  Certainly beats asking for someone wake me up when FFG announces "The Greater Good," "Children of the Omnissiah," or the "Seneschal's Guide to Trade Dynasties."

#3 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

>Valhallans

>Rough Riders

>Advanced Specialties

>mixed regiments

I keep trying to stop drooling and it doesn't work. This book sounds great. That cover is wonderful, too. I hope they post the full pic somewhere.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#4 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

Sounds great.

Perhaps release the actual core book first.

#5 Soldato Cuu

Soldato Cuu

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

And about the tanks? 

#6 Musclewizard

Musclewizard

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:11 AM

Soldato Cuu said:

And about the tanks? 

What about them?

#7 Soldato Cuu

Soldato Cuu

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:04 AM

In this book we will find new rules to create a regiment, Special regiments such the tanith first and only, rules for mixed regiments and new weapons and gears. So we can expect new tank's pattern, such the leman russ executioner? I mean this

p.s: sorry for my bad english XD

#8 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

Mounted combat, huh? Does this mean that Wrangling will be a separate skill instead of the specialization of Survival? I mean, a Riding or an Operate (Horses) Skill would be pretty dumb. But guess what, a separate Wrangling would be also uncool… As you will have a main skill for riding a horse, but Demolitions and Tactics are still sub-skills? 

Otherwise, mounted combat sounds cool, but not by the usual IG way (hunting lances are lame) - a high-speed firefight on horseback using all kinds of powerful weaponry (plasma guns, missile launchers) Black Ops 2 style would be A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

#9 WittyDroog

WittyDroog

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

The 0-Day DLC of the tabletop world. 

I don't know if I'm more upset about the splatbook itself or upset at myself because I know I'll buy it.

#10 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

WittyDroog said:

I don't know if I'm more upset about the splatbook itself or upset at myself because I know I'll buy it.

FFG always makes fun first supplements. Inquisitor's Handbook and Into The Storm both added plenty of good stuff, and /tg/ is still making new chapters with Rites of Battle's rules. I was actually dissapointed by the lack of a more general book for Black Crusade; these Tomes just don't sit well with me.

This book sounds like it'll have lots of fun new toys. Advanced Specialties make it worth getting for me, personally. Any word on if the Valkyrie will be in this or do we have to wait for flying vehicles?

Still pissed that the Tauros wasn't in core.

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#11 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

WittyDroog said:

Day 0 DLC? For real? Wouldn't that kinda imply that it's out already, as in available on the day of the main product's release?

BYE

#12 WittyDroog

WittyDroog

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

I'm not arguing that the book won't be fun, I fully agree there. It's just that if that info was in the wing I would have waited a while longer to see some of it come into the book. But FFG is a business, needs to make money, and all that jazz.

And even though the book isn't currently avalible just hearing the announcement is enough to wipe your frown a bit. You know there's stuff in there that had the potential of being in the core book. I could be remembering things incorrectly, but books like The Inquisitor's Handbook wasn't announced until after the core book came out.

All I'm saying is give me a moment to enjoy the book before telling me that I'm going to have to wait another month or two and spend another chunk of change to get more stuff (I know they're not putting a gun to my head, I'm putting a gun to my head.) 

#13 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

WittyDroog said:

You know there's stuff in there that had the potential of being in the core book.

You do? Because for most of the books, FFG doesn't contract the writing until the book concept has been greenlighted, which would mean none of this stuff was written until after the core book was in beta and mostly set in stone.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#14 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

I for one don't consider the starting 40K rpg games these days, untill the 'players guide' is out. Not because it's not playable, but there's the risk of missing alt starting options. And they know me so well.

Valhallans, Atillans, Rough Riders, all expected, all required.

The only major regiment missing between Only War:MRB and Hammer of the Emperor is Armageddon Steel Legion.

#15 Ryath

Ryath

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

Face Eater said:

I for one don't consider the starting 40K rpg games these days, untill the 'players guide' is out. Not because it's not playable, but there's the risk of missing alt starting options. And they know me so well.

Valhallans, Atillans, Rough Riders, all expected, all required.

The only major regiment missing between Only War:MRB and Hammer of the Emperor is Armageddon Steel Legion.

To be honest with the Regimental creation rules they have in the game you real can create rules for all of those regiments.  For each of the ones in the core rule book they show you which options they pick to make each of them, so with a little background info on the regiment you want you can make them all very easy.

#16 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

WittyDroog said:

I'm not arguing that the book won't be fun, I fully agree there. It's just that if that info was in the wing I would have waited a while longer to see some of it come into the book. But FFG is a business, needs to make money, and all that jazz.

And even though the book isn't currently avalible just hearing the announcement is enough to wipe your frown a bit. You know there's stuff in there that had the potential of being in the core book. I could be remembering things incorrectly, but books like The Inquisitor's Handbook wasn't announced until after the core book came out.

All I'm saying is give me a moment to enjoy the book before telling me that I'm going to have to wait another month or two and spend another chunk of change to get more stuff (I know they're not putting a gun to my head, I'm putting a gun to my head.) 

I'd be more upset if the core rulebook wasn't so meaty. Including regiment creation, a largely new selection of NPC profiles, and twelve (I think?) specializations, plus new vehicles rules? This one is full of stuff compared to some of the more limited releases (looking at you, Deathwatch.)

#17 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

WittyDroog said:

Yeah, but Day 0 DLC? I'm sorry, but book supplements for an RPG are nothing like Day 0 DLC. The comparison doesn't hold. The closest you can get to the comparison might be the GM kit, but even that has a specific purpose and is a very different product (not just extra 'stuff' that could or could have not been included in the core book). And you realise that for every one person saying "I wish they'd wait to announce new things", which is honestly the first time I've ever heard anyone complain about new things being announced, there are 1000 people saying "I wish they'd announce things faster!".

BYE

#18 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:01 AM

Plushy said:

FFG always makes fun first supplements. Inquisitor's Handbook and Into The Storm both added plenty of good stuff, and /tg/ is still making new chapters with Rites of Battle's rules.

Well… the Inquisitor's Handbook was overseen by Black Industries… FFG oversaw everything after Disciples of Dark Gods (which they released, but I believe they were handed a pretty much ready to print document).

#19 WittyDroog

WittyDroog

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Plushy said:

I'd be more upset if the core rulebook wasn't so meaty. Including regiment creation, a largely new selection of NPC profiles, and twelve (I think?) specializations, plus new vehicles rules? This one is full of stuff compared to some of the more limited releases (looking at you, Deathwatch.)

You're right and I am just acting spoiled but at the same time I'm not going to able to just sit around knowing there's another book with more options for regiment and character creation.

Honestly all it means is that I'm holding off on actually running Only War in this retail form until this splatbook comes out because I don't want to be deep in a campaign and then be distracted by a really cool regiment idea and reset. It's a lot easier to avoid when a splatbook contains a new mechanic type, such as introducing vehicle rules when none existed in the core book, rather than adding more enticing options to the core mechanics so soon. 

In the meantime our group will likely play the new Star Wars beginner box so FFG got my money anyway.

#20 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

WittyDroog said:

Plushy said:

You're right and I am just acting spoiled but at the same time I'm not going to able to just sit around knowing there's another book with more options for regiment and character creation.

Honestly all it means is that I'm holding off on actually running Only War in this retail form until this splatbook comes out because I don't want to be deep in a campaign and then be distracted by a really cool regiment idea and reset. It's a lot easier to avoid when a splatbook contains a new mechanic type, such as introducing vehicle rules when none existed in the core book, rather than adding more enticing options to the core mechanics so soon. 

In the meantime our group will likely play the new Star Wars beginner box so FFG got my money anyway.

Only War has had most of its content finished for a long while now. The Beta changed a few pages of content at the most. Much of the art was already done or in progress, which means they only thing left to work on was fluff before the long process of getting the book produced and shipped. Hammer of the Emperor was almost certainly started after most of the core book was done.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS