News of the Next Cthulhu Deluxe Box Set

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Hybrid

Hybrid

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:50 AM

We knew the pace would slow down considerably with the new release model but the Cthulhu LCG has been barely even mentioned in the last 10 'pages' of the News!  By my recollection Seekers was announced 3 months before release and the next box set should be out in Jan?

To whom it may concern, an article would be greatly appreaciated announcing the newest box set.

P.S. - Our local Explorers are thuroughly enjoying the flavor and themes of Seekers of Knowledge!

#2 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Apparently they just posted a news update and the winner is….  Yog!

There are a few card previews there too, and it looks like the Yithians are back ;)   Freakin' awesome.

The claimed release date is "late 1st quarter 2013" so we may be looking at March though which is a bit less awesome.

#3 HilariousPete

HilariousPete

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Great that they introduce Yithians again. Also some pics are really nice, can't wait to play with The Black Stone :-)

P.S.: For those of you who don't know (it took me some time until I was aware of it): products also have an about page with additional infos and pics, see here http://www.fantasyfl...4&esem=1&epmi=s

#4 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

HilariousPete said:

Great that they introduce Yithians again. Also some pics are really nice, can't wait to play with The Black Stone :-)

P.S.: For those of you who don't know (it took me some time until I was aware of it): products also have an about page with additional infos and pics, see here http://www.fantasyfl...4&esem=1&epmi=s

Yeah, the Black Stone looks really good. I also like that new neutral character - Prepared Alienist. Helps fix the ubiquitous Black Dogs, MoMs, Infernal Obsessions, and Stygian Eyes. Also helps a bit with that Under the Porch/Nug problem.

What are people's thoughts on the Fated keyword? Seems like it makes Rituals even harder to play, no? Or you could accelerate them to get a couple success tokens, then use them regularly.

I love Mists of Lethe as well. I hope this is a prelude of more awesome spells. Another preview please, FFG!

#5 Hybrid

Hybrid

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Ask and you shall recieve! Wow! Uhhh…wow!

I never thought we'd see the return of the Yithian. Needless to say I am very happy about that!

I like 'Fated' and love Yogsothoths' ability. The artwork for this ancient one is now my all time favorite!

Can't wait to see the other Yithians. The spoiled one is okay. I can only imagine what there abilities will be.

Overall the cards spoiled seem usefull and very flavorfull. Blackwood's the only one that I am unenthused about. His ability should also trigger from struggles.

MARCH!! Really? Wait and see I guess.

#6 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Hybrid said:

I like 'Fated' and love Yogsothoths' ability. 

So just the way his ability works, is each success token placed individually? So if some MU deck placed 3 tokens for an undefended story with investigation, then Yog would trigger 3 times?

#7 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

Danigral said:

So if some MU deck placed 3 tokens for an undefended story with investigation, then Yog would trigger 3 times?

Exactly. Neat, isn't it? :-)

#8 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

jhaelen said:

Danigral said:

So if some MU deck placed 3 tokens for an undefended story with investigation, then Yog would trigger 3 times?

Exactly. Neat, isn't it? :-)

Yeah, that's going to be pretty awesome. I also like the interaction with Bootlegging Operation and Degenerate Gambler. Use your powerful card for Fated and then draw it again.

#9 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:31 AM

I like Fated because it opens up more design space.  It lets you grant a character a more powerful ability and then limit how many times he can use it to keep it from being an OP card.

How good Keeper is will depend on how heavy a Yithian theme there is and what they do.  The preview text hinted that they do a lot of discard pile stuff, so it's possible that you may end up with them coming and going from the discard and triggering his ability more often.  He's also got 3 icons, even if they are all Arcane.

Prepared Alienist is going to be a popular guy and I'm glad there's going to be something to discourage so much use of these colorless jump-out characters.

I'm hoping it won't take until March and we'll get it in February (my original guess) but the description of "late 1st quarter" is not inspiring.

#10 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:13 AM

It looks like one of the spoiled cards is a redesign of an original Yithian Deck card:

It is now a support instead of an event. It looks like it reads: [Attachment?] Yithian. - Attach to a non-Ancient One character. Action: Place a Yithian character you control on the bottom of its owner's deck to take control of attached character. Limit once per turn.

That seems a little more balanced to me than to just gain control of any character for nothing. :P It's amazing that anyone even could beat one of these old promo decks.

#11 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

Well, they were intentionally supposed to be strong decks after all.

I really like how well this fits into the Yithian theme of trading minds with other beings across space and time though.

#12 Hybrid

Hybrid

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

It seems you are right Danigral. The artwork is a fractured image with each fragment representing perhaps a different facet of time/space. Just saw 'Decrepit Wizard' and love the art! 'The Tattered Cloak' Regalia Dementia is wonderfully flavored! I was recently playing an M.U. deck and the combo of  'Alternative Historian' and 'Combing the Archives' convinced me to put some Tomes in the deck. With all the fairly recent emphasis on tomes, Libraries and character abilities I expected to find some usefull tomes but after going through M.U. I was surprised to only find the Necros worthwhile. I was even more surprised after going through the remainder of my cards to find out how underpowered tomes are. Perhaps there will be a worthwhile tome or two in the Yog box. By my calculations in addition to the Yog box there should be one other release prior to the North American Nationals. Not sure if there will be a third addition in time for Worlds 2013?

#13 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

If the Yog box comes out in Feb/Mar, the next box would be around June/July presumably, and the next one would be October/November.  New cards have to be out for a month to be legal typically, so assuming Worlds is in early November again it's cutting it close.  They could push the schedule up a bit and make it if they really wanted to but I wouldn't count on it.  Gotta watch and see how things go…

Personally, I expect to be at Gencon but probably not Worlds next year, so only one more box past Yog for me.  I wonder which faction will be the lucky one?

#14 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

dboeren said:

I wonder which faction will be the lucky one?

Syndicate!!!

#15 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:27 AM

I'm predicting Agency for the next human faction, assuming they do the human/mythos pattern. Despite Lyndon's Australian nationals performance with Agency, they probably could use the help. Blackwood FTW!

I'd love to see a "dirty cop" sub-theme in the Agency, not just with criminal trait but with the ability to give other cards the criminal trait (or trait manipulation in general), and to trigger effects off of it. There's already a healthy bit of villainous control. 

Back to the OP, though, I wonder how many Yithians they include in the box. The original Yithian promo deck had 5 I think, but some were x6. The article says it's enough to "explore" a Yithian theme deck, but we'll see what that means….

#16 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

Either one would be OK with me I guess.

I like Syndicate much more, but maybe a new set would make Agency more appealing so I could enjoy them more too?  They're OK for me in a mixed faction deck but I feel like mono-Agency could maybe use some more interesting Events.

I like Tattered Cloak, that's going straight into my next Lunatic deck.  I especially like that if your opponent has characters that are immune to Terror it still has a useful effect.  Can't wait to see what the Hastur box will be like.

#17 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

dboeren said:

Either one would be OK with me I guess.

I like Syndicate much more, but maybe a new set would make Agency more appealing so I could enjoy them more too?  They're OK for me in a mixed faction deck but I feel like mono-Agency could maybe use some more interesting Events.

I like Tattered Cloak, that's going straight into my next Lunatic deck.  I especially like that if your opponent has characters that are immune to Terror it still has a useful effect.  Can't wait to see what the Hastur box will be like.

Well, as we saw with the 2011 Worlds season, and the abuse of Endless Interrogation, discard effects have to be well balanced. I hope Hastur doesn't get too many good discard effects. Byakhees, Apeirophobia, now Tattered Cloak, I just hope it doesn't get over the top…you know, like Shub's resourcing mastery… just sayin'. ;)

#18 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

Tattered Cloak has kind of a built-in safety valve though because you can prevent the discard by driving a character insane.  It's also limit once per turn so you can't abuse it too much.  In general though, I agree - discard from hand effects need to have an eye kept on them to prevent a total lockdown.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS