Jump to content



Photo

Youtube video series targetted at intermediate/advanced players


  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 hollis

hollis

    Member

  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

If you follow boardgamegeek, you might have noticed I've started a youtube video series targetted at intermediate/advanced players who want to sharpen their play skills and learn how to analyze complex board states. Three videos are up so far (1hr, 1hr, and 30 mins) that feature 10 edited games, with commentary and analysis. I thought I would cross-post the link to this video series here. The goal is to have a new video every few weeks. Each video focuses on discussing some aspect of A:NR. The first two videos focus on getting value out of ambush assets in the mid/early game. The third video focuses on playing Gabriel Santiago in the late game.

The audio/video quality of the first video is a little poor; still learning the ropes of video editing. Quality gets better in the second video. If you find the quality of the first video offensive, skip to the second one.

Youtube Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/RnDAccessGranted

 



#2 DOAisBetter

DOAisBetter

    Member

  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

Love the match video, would like to see more of that. Its always nice to see how others play and what they are thinking keep it up.



#3 LifeKnight

LifeKnight

    Member

  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Love it so far, would love to see commentary on more conventional build type decks. It's always fun to see how other people try to puzzle through situations.

Keep up the good work!



#4 Saturnine

Saturnine

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

This is good stuff. Looking forward to more.



#5 hollis

hollis

    Member

  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

LifeKnight said:

Love it so far, would love to see commentary on more conventional build type decks. It's always fun to see how other people try to puzzle through situations.

Keep an eye out over christmas then. I have a few excellent games recorded that highlight some of the finer points of running aggressively in the early game, and how to navigate some of the trickier situations you get into early as an aggressive runner. It's just a matter of doing the commentary now. The next video, though, will be with two fairly unorthodox decks. However, it is a great context for discussing what is meant by a bluff in A:NR, and how it is different from a bluff in poker (which A:NR Is commonly compared to in terms of its "human element"). This is a topic that has been on my mind since A:NR came out, and I finally have a great video captured to use as a backdrop for discussing this topic. I am really excited to get words to video. Should be up in the next couple days.



#6 Saturnine

Saturnine

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

hollis said:

Should be up in the next couple days.

Sweet!



#7 Palpster

Palpster

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:10 AM

I'm loving this series. I like how you analyze situations, but also mistakes and why they are mistakes. Great material, looking forward to more.



#8 profligate

profligate

    Member

  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Agreed.  I watched a video last night and was impressed both with the level of play and the intelligent commentary.  Keep up the good work.



#9 Volak

Volak

    Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

Really good series! I like your commentary, really analytic and you have calm voice witch makes the listening a lot easier.

Looking forward for more videos!



#10 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

    Member

  • Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

hollis said:

If you follow boardgamegeek, you might have noticed I've started a youtube video series targetted at intermediate/advanced players who want to sharpen their play skills and learn how to analyze complex board states. Three videos are up so far (1hr, 1hr, and 30 mins) that feature 10 edited games, with commentary and analysis. I thought I would cross-post the link to this video series here. The goal is to have a new video every few weeks. Each video focuses on discussing some aspect of A:NR. The first two videos focus on getting value out of ambush assets in the mid/early game. The third video focuses on playing Gabriel Santiago in the late game.

The audio/video quality of the first video is a little poor; still learning the ropes of video editing. Quality gets better in the second video. If you find the quality of the first video offensive, skip to the second one.

Youtube Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/RnDAccessGranted

 

Are these strategies aimed at decks built with 3x every card (which of course is a lot easier to do online)?



#11 hollis

hollis

    Member

  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

signoftheserpent said:

Are these strategies aimed at decks built with 3x every card (which of course is a lot easier to do online)?

My target audience is intermediate/advanced players with a full playset of each card (x3 copies).



#12 TheRedArmy

TheRedArmy

    Member

  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

hollis said:

signoftheserpent said:

Are these strategies aimed at decks built with 3x every card (which of course is a lot easier to do online)?

 

My target audience is intermediate/advanced players with a full playset of each card (x3 copies).

Kind of a shame you focus on having 3 of each card - me and a friend saw the game when we went on vacation to an event near Chicago and bought it together - I doubt either one of us would have bought it individually. Not for lack of funds (on my part), but for lack of competition. At least this way we would play each other often.

 

Not that I don't get the decision, of course. And I watched one earlier today - definitely awesome stuff, and I think I can really improve my game with these. 



#13 hollis

hollis

    Member

  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

TheRedArmy said:

 

Kind of a shame you focus on having 3 of each card - me and a friend saw the game when we went on vacation to an event near Chicago and bought it together - I doubt either one of us would have bought it individually. Not for lack of funds (on my part), but for lack of competition. At least this way we would play each other often.

 

 

I suspect the 3-card assumption is more of a theoretical issue than a practical issue. You may see decks in the videos running x3 copies of consoles, SanSan, Corporate Troubleshooter, Scorched Earth. However, aside from those cards, the core set card distribution simply doesn't affect available deck archetypes all that much. All datapacks contain 3 copies of all cards, so as the cardpool grows my possible viewership becomes less and less constrained. It is also worth pointing out that this is not a series about deck construction. I am interested in talking about how to play the game well. Presumably, that is (mostly) detached from the specifics of card accessibility.

 

My suspicion is that the majority of my target audience will have access to 2 or 3 copies of the core set cards. I am basing this on the purchasing habits of myself and my friends who also play. I have no intention to please everyone. But, the way I am doing it, I suspect I will please the majority. And, most importantly, I am doing this as a hobby interest, and my foremost goal is to get pleasure out of my time. Working with x3 copies of each card is certainly going to be the way that I will get the most pleasure.



#14 TheRedArmy

TheRedArmy

    Member

  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

hollis said:

TheRedArmy said:

 

Kind of a shame you focus on having 3 of each card - me and a friend saw the game when we went on vacation to an event near Chicago and bought it together - I doubt either one of us would have bought it individually. Not for lack of funds (on my part), but for lack of competition. At least this way we would play each other often.

 

 

I suspect the 3-card assumption is more of a theoretical issue than a practical issue. You may see decks in the videos running x3 copies of consoles, SanSan, Corporate Troubleshooter, Scorched Earth. However, aside from those cards, the core set card distribution simply doesn't affect available deck archetypes all that much. All datapacks contain 3 copies of all cards, so as the cardpool grows my possible viewership becomes less and less constrained. It is also worth pointing out that this is not a series about deck construction. I am interested in talking about how to play the game well. Presumably, that is (mostly) detached from the specifics of card accessibility.

 

My suspicion is that the majority of my target audience will have access to 2 or 3 copies of the core set cards. I am basing this on the purchasing habits of myself and my friends who also play. I have no intention to please everyone. But, the way I am doing it, I suspect I will please the majority. And, most importantly, I am doing this as a hobby interest, and my foremost goal is to get pleasure out of my time. Working with x3 copies of each card is certainly going to be the way that I will get the most pleasure.

 

That all makes sense - and like I said, I understood the decision. I don't even disagree with it, it makes perfect sense. Anyway, I…mostly agree with you about how card distribution doesn't affect playing the game well, though a superior deck can make up for poor play, and vice versa - to an extent.

 

The videos are awesome, and I wouldn't ever consider asking you to consider continuing if you didn't enjoy doing it. All the best, man.



#15 Saturnine

Saturnine

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

While the decks in hollis's videos may contain three cards of core set singles, I find the actual concepts that he talks about apply to all Netrunner games regardless of card count. If you're not learning stuff from his videos while you have one core set, you're not going to learn more if you have three.



#16 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

    Toqtamish

  • Members
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

TheRedArmy said:

Anyway, I…mostly agree with you about how card distribution doesn't affect playing the game well, though a superior deck can make up for poor play, and vice versa - to an extent.

 

I find that is a lot less true in this game than others. This game requires some skill to pilot the deck.



#17 sharoth

sharoth

    Member

  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

Great vids, would love to see more soon.



#18 TheRedArmy

TheRedArmy

    Member

  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

Toqtamish said:

TheRedArmy said:

 

Anyway, I…mostly agree with you about how card distribution doesn't affect playing the game well, though a superior deck can make up for poor play, and vice versa - to an extent.

 

 

 

I find that is a lot less true in this game than others. This game requires some skill to pilot the deck.

 

I did say to an extent. At any rate, I'm not saying I'll beat a superstar just because my deck is superior. But if one player is only slightly inferior to his opponent, but his decks are masterfully constructed, it may be that he can win through simply having better cards. This is far less likely and less of a problem in a LCG as opposed to a CCG.



#19 dboeren

dboeren

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

Just found your videos and watched the Aggressive Kate one - very well done.  Keep up the good work!



#20 hollis

hollis

    Member

  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

Figured I would bump this thread. We have had a couple new videos since the last post. The newest ones have been focused on how to play an effective, early aggressive game with each of the three core set runner identities.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5VJg5ehuM1c (aggression as Kate)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fh7OAlVCcFU (aggression as Noise)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4j_TPYJxcJg (aggression as Gabe)






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS