Last PC - what should I use?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 beardonaut

beardonaut

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

I am preparing my second run through The Haarlock Legacy as GM. I have rewritten and expanded it extensively (see post in Game Master section in case you're curious) and will use pre-written characters. I have four done and I am conflicted about the fifth. Hence, this post. I would like suggestions for a fifth character based on what I already have.

The characters serve an Inquisitor of the Ordo Malleus, who is a member of the Ocularians, and a group of Magi of the Adeptus Mechanicus. They are at 3000 xp from the start and in some cases I use multiple alternate careers and/or background passages for the characters, to make them fit into the campaign. My GM style is very storytelling oriented, and I avoid rolling the dice as often as I can. Still, Skills and Talents are important, since they still define what the characters know.

So what I have so far:
- Lucian Matellus. Noble. Adept. Alternate Career: Malefic Scholar. Sworn Radical (Ocularians). Daemonologist.
- Xerxes Kurta. Forge World. Tech-priest. Alternate Careers: Factor of the Lathes, Agent of the Lords Dragon. Diplomat and intelligence agent.
- Alexander Barrachine. Forge World. Guard. Alternate Career: Crimson Guard. Assigned as bodyguard to Kurta.
- Mikail Laester. Darkholder. Scum. Alternate Career: Reclaimator. Former Cold Trader, caught and sworn to service with the Adeptus Mechanicus.

The fifth character should be someone serving the Inquisitor and not the Mechanicus. Initially I was thinking about a psyker, a diviner, but Matellus sort of serves that purpose. Still, it might be a good choice. I don't need another combat monster, but an Arbitrator focused on investigation might also work. In any case, I want the character to have a twist or two, like those above.

Suggestions?

#2 Louisp

Louisp

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Maybe a diviso moralis arbite, a loner detective.

or a cleric from the heretical schola progenium world in RHB.

#3 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

I think a Psyker would 'round out' the group best. Maybe give him/her the Mindwiped background (from Inquisitor's Handbook), and have him/her be the only survivor of your Inquisitor's previous attempt to unlock the Haarlock mystery…?

#4 Luthor Harkon

Luthor Harkon

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

beardonaut said:

So what I have so far:
- Lucian Matellus. Noble. Adept. Alternate Career: Malefic Scholar. Sworn Radical (Ocularians). Daemonologist.
- Xerxes Kurta. Forge World. Tech-priest. Alternate Careers: Factor of the Lathes, Agent of the Lords Dragon. Diplomat and intelligence agent.
- Alexander Barrachine. Forge World. Guard. Alternate Career: Crimson Guard. Assigned as bodyguard to Kurta.
- Mikail Laester. Darkholder. Scum. Alternate Career: Reclaimator. Former Cold Trader, caught and sworn to service with the Adeptus Mechanicus.

The fifth character should be someone serving the Inquisitor and not the Mechanicus. Initially I was thinking about a psyker, a diviner, but Matellus sort of serves that purpose. Still, it might be a good choice. I don't need another combat monster, but an Arbitrator focused on investigation might also work. In any case, I want the character to have a twist or two, like those above.

Suggestions?

Well, Lucian Matellus sounds more like an Acolyte for a Xanthite instead of an Occularian. But that was not the question…

How about an Imperial Diviner? A Psyker with Divination as his chosen discipline and with the option of taking the Imperial Diviner Alternate Career Rank from RH. The IH has a Background Package for Psykers IIRC that have a sort of dark twist. Maybe that would fit as well.

A Scum or Cleric with Demagogue, Infil-Traitor or Saboteur as Alternate Caree Rank (http://www.fantasyfl...eb Quality).pdf) could also fit in my view.

#5 beardonaut

beardonaut

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Louisp said:

Maybe a diviso moralis arbite, a loner detective.

or a cleric from the heretical schola progenium world in RHB.

I am leaning towards an Arbitrator, possibly combined with the Adeptus-B's suggestion.

#6 beardonaut

beardonaut

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

Adeptus-B said:

I think a Psyker would 'round out' the group best. Maybe give him/her the Mindwiped background (from Inquisitor's Handbook), and have him/her be the only survivor of your Inquisitor's previous attempt to unlock the Haarlock mystery…?

Very good suggestion, sir. I may even reuse some aspects of a character from the current group. Thanks. A Psyker is probably out of the question, though.

#7 beardonaut

beardonaut

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

Luthor Harkon said:

beardonaut said:

So what I have so far:

Suggestions?

Well, Lucian Matellus sounds more like an Acolyte for a Xanthite instead of an Occularian. But that was not the question…

How about an Imperial Diviner? A Psyker with Divination as his chosen discipline and with the option of taking the Imperial Diviner Alternate Career Rank from RH. The IH has a Background Package for Psykers IIRC that have a sort of dark twist. Maybe that would fit as well.

A Scum or Cleric with Demagogue, Infil-Traitor or Saboteur as Alternate Caree Rank (http://www.fantasyfl...eb Quality).pdf) could also fit in my view.

Yes, Lucian does appear that way. However, the Pact from Thy Name I Keep is one I wrote myself called Pact of Past, Present and Future, which gives him divination abilities, among other things.

I like the Diviner and that was my first obvious choice before Lucian came alive, considering the Ocularians' focus on prophecy and divination. A Cleric Demagogue is an excellent suggestion. Would also fit well with the group.

#8 Drop Bear 2.0

Drop Bear 2.0

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

If their not playing Adepts and Clerics they aint making them interesting for themselves, more bad luck than bad planing the Adept that got himself killed in last nights game would have bean interesting if he'd lived, bacause the player made hin interesting not bacause the Career was combat capible. the Preist in tonights game though combat capible isn't a good character bacause he can hold his own in a fight, but bacause hi's interesting in how messed up he is (for starters he's a represed transvestite bisexual who's passing himself off as a Sororitas, and he gets stranger from there).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS