Photo

some advice on a list im working on please.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

Ok im making a Rebel list and I got my pilots.  I am set in stone on Luke, Wedge, and Horton.  now for the life of me im trying to figure out a solid loadout for these three but not go over the 100 point mark.  My problem is to me Rebels have so many goodies and i want to use it all , but I know thats not possible in a 100pt list.  you got to make sacrifices somewhere, my goal with this list, trying to make something that can handle a Tie fighter swarm.  Anyone have any advice  or sugestions?  Im just at a creative block here. 

Thanks in advance.

#2 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:18 AM

I've got a list I call Solo Operatives that I'll post, it uses those three pilots.

Wedge (29)
-R2 Astro (1)
-Proton Torps (4)
-Expert Handling (2)

Horton (25)
-Proton Torps (4)
-Ion Cannon (5)

Luke (28)
-R2 Astro (1)

The idea here is all three are fine to go off on their own, and require no synergy between them. Wedge can flip around with E.H., and has more options for green maneuvers because of the R2 astromech. Horton and Wedge unload their torps at range 2 if possible, allowing for the most possible damage die against the least possible defense, with Horton rerolling and Wedge just removing a defense die. Horton tries to stay range 2 away from the most dangerous enemy and keep it Ion'd, and Luke and Wedge fly around like hornets around a nest, killing whatever they can.

#3 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

looks pretty solid, how many wins have you had when you run this list. and what were the most tie fighters you went against with this list?  and thank you for the post :)

#4 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

I was messing around with the squad builder and came up with this,

Luke , w- R2-D2 / marksmanship

Wedge, w- R5 astro mech / marksmanship

Horton, w- R2 asto mech / ion cannon

This come out to being 99 pts 

#5 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

Eruletho said:

Horton and Wedge unload their torps at range 2 if possible, allowing for the most possible damage die against the least possible defense, with Horton rerolling and Wedge just removing a defense die.

Not sure if I'm reading this into your post or not, but secondary weapons do not get range modifiers for dice, meaning a Range 3 torp faces the same defense dice as a Range 2 torp. It's at the bottom of page 10 in the rulebook.

So, ideally, Horton should use his torps at range 3, then use Ion for range 1-2

#6 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:22 AM

See, this is why you won worlds. I knew that, but it didn't register when I was typing the post up.

As for how that squad has done: I don't know. I have gotten in 4 games since I got the game. 3 of them were less than 100 points to teach my friends (who have since stopped playing), and 1 was a 100 point game with my girlfriend, who wanted to play rebels (so I played Imps) and we got to the second round of shooting and had to stop due to the clock. I haven't had a chance to play on Vassal yet, and there isn't a gamestore in 50 miles of where I live. The KRT is going to be my first real venue.

However, I do A LOT of theorywinging, and that squad looks to me like it's gonna be able to deal with 1-2 TIEs easily every round. Wedge, with good dice, can take one alone, and Luke and Horton should be able to finish another. If Wedge fludges, then Horton can 360 turret and finish off Wedge's old target and Luke can soften up a new one for whoever is around. With the R2 astros, Wedge and Luke can K-turn more reliably and unpredictably (they don't HAVE to go straight green the following turn) and Wedge can more safely barrel roll too, for the same reason.

I would probably fly this squad in a reverse delta, Luke leading the other two since his defenses are a bit better. It's only 99 points, so you win init against 100 point builds and chance for it against other 99's, meaning there's at least a 50/50 shot that your Wedge shoots before theirs does. All of your pilots shoot before most of the ships in a swarm, lessening the damage you can take each turn as long as you remove one.

#7 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

thank you alot for your reply,  that was some great informative feedback.  Im also thinking on trying to run a 4 ship rebel list but OMG its get tough trying to plan a list of 4 ships for rebels Im planning on running 3 x-wings and one Y- wing .  The Y-wing will definitly have Ion cannons . I am a true beliver in that ion cannons on a Y-wing is a must.  now I know with 4 ships you can pretty much kiss proton torpedos good bye but who cares when you have target locks being used by 4 rebel ships.  what im having trouble on is the x-wings, should I use a named pilot like Luke or Wedge or Biggs?  and if so will any of them be able to use a droid upgrade?  Im looking fo some sort of synergy but also would like to have endurance in case i have to take on 6 or more TIE fighters.

Im thinking on using either Wedge or Biggs, I belive both can be major head aches to an oponent.

im thinking something like this on a 4 ship squad for Rebels

Wedge, R5-D8 / Swarm tactics

Rokie pilot x 2

Gold Squadron x1 , R2 Astromech / Ion Cannons

or

Biggs, R5-D8

Rokie Pilot x2  W/ R5 astromechs x2

Gold Squadron pilot,  R2 Astromech W/ proton torpedo x1 ,  Ion cannons 

so far this is what I can think of for a 4 ship squad for Rebels,  love to hear your thoughts on these..  Thanks

#8 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Grave13 said:

thank you alot for your reply,  that was some great informative feedback.  Im also thinking on trying to run a 4 ship rebel list but OMG its get tough trying to plan a list of 4 ships for rebels Im planning on running 3 x-wings and one Y- wing .  The Y-wing will definitly have Ion cannons . I am a true beliver in that ion cannons on a Y-wing is a must.  now I know with 4 ships you can pretty much kiss proton torpedos good bye but who cares when you have target locks being used by 4 rebel ships.  what im having trouble on is the x-wings, should I use a named pilot like Luke or Wedge or Biggs?  and if so will any of them be able to use a droid upgrade?  Im looking fo some sort of synergy but also would like to have endurance in case i have to take on 6 or more TIE fighters.

Im thinking on using either Wedge or Biggs, I belive both can be major head aches to an oponent.

im thinking something like this on a 4 ship squad for Rebels

Wedge, R5-D8 / Swarm tactics

Rokie pilot x 2

Gold Squadron x1 , R2 Astromech / Ion Cannons

or

Biggs, R5-D8

Rokie Pilot x2  W/ R5 astromechs x2

Gold Squadron pilot,  R2 Astromech W/ proton torpedo x1 ,  Ion cannons 

so far this is what I can think of for a 4 ship squad for Rebels,  love to hear your thoughts on these..  Thanks

R5 astromech is better than R2 astromech on Ywings, because Ywings do not need to turn and maneuver as much due to their 360 firing arcs, and their 5 hull points means that they will be racking up a lot of critical hits, and you really do not want the critical hits to start stacking up their effects. Conversely, R2 astromechs are better on Xwings, since you will be using 2 speed turns and U-turns a lot

Wedge requires his actions to be spent on target locks and focus to enable him to do his job properly. As such, unless you have some way to give him actions (Dutch and Garven), or you have a more suitable action for him to use (expert handling or marksmanship), I would not recommend him spending his action on anything else. So you might want to reconsider R5D8 (also I've field tested R5D8 and it isn't really that good either), maybe take out that R2 astromech from your Ywing and give Wedge R2D2 instead.

Biggs MUST ALWAYS BE WITH R2F2, nothing else, nobody else, nuh uh. similiarly, R2F2 MUST ALWAYS BE WITH BIGGS, nothing else, nobody else, nuh uh. simple as that, any other combination with them cannot even begin to compare.

the problem with your 4 ship list is that it isn't packing enough of a punch. remove proton torpedoes and all R2/R5 astromechs. upgrade your Ywing to Dutch vander. put a R5K6 on Dutch with the final 2 points.

#9 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:07 AM

Duraham said:

Biggs MUST ALWAYS BE WITH R2F2, nothing else, nobody else, nuh uh. similiarly, R2F2 MUST ALWAYS BE WITH BIGGS, nothing else, nobody else, nuh uh. simple as that, any other combination with them cannot even begin to compare.

This is the only thing from your post I directly disagree with. Luke doesn't really need his action (I've often seen squads posted with Luke having squad leader for this same reason), and if you give him R2F2, he is nigh invincible with his free eyeball-to-evade ability. Well, he's harder to kill than Biggs is, anyway. If both Luke and Biggs were in the squad, then Biggs has R2F2 for sure. If Biggs were absent for whatever reason, Luke should wear it if anyone is going to. It isn't as good on any other pilot.

#10 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:23 AM

Eruletho said:

Duraham said:

This is the only thing from your post I directly disagree with. Luke doesn't really need his action (I've often seen squads posted with Luke having squad leader for this same reason), and if you give him R2F2, he is nigh invincible with his free eyeball-to-evade ability. Well, he's harder to kill than Biggs is, anyway. If both Luke and Biggs were in the squad, then Biggs has R2F2 for sure. If Biggs were absent for whatever reason, Luke should wear it if anyone is going to. It isn't as good on any other pilot.

I'm more inclined to give him R2D2 actually, i find that with R2F2 on him, a single bad roll would pretty much ruin your day, as there is no way you can repair yourself from any damage sustained. it also frees up his action for other things, such as target locks / expert handling / marksmanship to increase his offensive capabilities (which he really lacks), and Luke is usually one of the ships that your opponent would avoid targetting initially, so the chance of him getting hounded by a large enough number of ships by the mid/late game to warrant using R2F2 is rather slim I feel.

#11 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

Ok taking in consideration on reply I have came up with this, its not a 4 ship list but I think its a improvement and kinda tanky.

Luke, R2-D2 / Marksmanship  w/proton torpedo

Biggs, R2-F2  w/proton torpedo

Dutch, R5-Astromech  w/ Ion Cannon

now im not sure if Marksmanship would be good on Luke or not or would a more defensive upgrade be better like Expert Handling? I didnt put Expert handling on because I dont think I have to worry so much about being target locked by Tie Fighter swarms except for the TIE advanced. now againt a Rebel list thats a different story. but knowing that everyone at the tournament but one will be playing Empire at the tournament I dont think ill worry about it too much.

check it out.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS