19 replies to this topic

#1 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

http://www.darkreign40k.com/drjoomla/

I can't get in anymore, anyone know what up

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

#2 Count Zero

Count Zero

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

All the info on there was stolen whole cloth from published material. It may have caught up with them. It's still there in spirit…http://web.archive.o...k.com/drjoomla/

#3 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

never thought to wayback machine it

and not all of it, there was much fan stuff there

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

#4 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

Much of the stuff to be used from that site was a far better resource than some of the FFG publications. One example would be the tables for random Warp encounters. Ten results in The Navis Primer, or 100 from Dark Reign. There was a list of 100 random Hive encounters…I will forever lament the loss of that resource.

#5 Arkio_Gannys

Arkio_Gannys

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

I just googled "Dark Reign 40K" and the first link took me to the Homepage… Maybe they were down for maintenance? 

#6 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

Arkio_Gannys said:

I just googled "Dark Reign 40K" and the first link took me to the Homepage… Maybe they were down for maintenance? 

For the forums or the website where the fan genrated stuff was?

http://www.darkreign40k.com/drjoomla/

goes to a white screen for me

#7 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

???

avergonzado_triste 

Dark Reign is gone or does anyone know what up

#8 Kage2020

Kage2020

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

I posted a response to this question on RPG.net earlier tonight.  The link was: 

http://forum.rpg.net...to-Darkreign40k

The last time that I posted here the forum software was somewhat… wonky.  As such I hope that the link works just fine for those that are interested.  It might be a slightly more, well, realiable source of infromation.

@Angel of Death

It is my understanding that the forums are going to be the first thing to come back, thus returning the "actual play" functionality.  After that they're going to explore the content that was available on the so-called "main site."  The goal is, I understand, to make it all available but they're also dealing with the transition from two different CMS options (Joomla and Drupal).

@Count Zero

While I understand there were indeed some legal shenanigans, at least on the same order as the recent commentaries with regards to GW IP copyright ("Space Marines?") , to suggest that the material was "stolen whole cloth" is at the very least misinformed.  Derivative, for sure, but it's pretty hard to claim plagiarism when material (and discussion) shows up before the "official" materials.  As to "published materials" one finds oneself into the territory as to the originality of the setting material itself.

YMOV

#9 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

Kage2020 said:

I posted a response to this question on RPG.net earlier tonight.  The link was: 

http://forum.rpg.net...to-Darkreign40k

The last time that I posted here the forum software was somewhat… wonky.  As such I hope that the link works just fine for those that are interested.  It might be a slightly more, well, realiable source of infromation.

@Angel of Death

It is my understanding that the forums are going to be the first thing to come back, thus returning the "actual play" functionality.  After that they're going to explore the content that was available on the so-called "main site."  The goal is, I understand, to make it all available but they're also dealing with the transition from two different CMS options (Joomla and Drupal).

@Count Zero

While I understand there were indeed some legal shenanigans, at least on the same order as the recent commentaries with regards to GW IP copyright ("Space Marines?") , to suggest that the material was "stolen whole cloth" is at the very least misinformed.  Derivative, for sure, but it's pretty hard to claim plagiarism when material (and discussion) shows up before the "official" materials.  As to "published materials" one finds oneself into the territory as to the originality of the setting material itself.

YMOV
[/QUOTE]

Thank Kage2020, I at least knew that Forums were up, but I have not been in as often as I had been.  Was shocked when I went in today and no website

Space Marine move was kinda a surprising move.

#10 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

Alekzanter said:

Much of the stuff to be used from that site was a far better resource than some of the FFG publications. One example would be the tables for random Warp encounters. Ten results in The Navis Primer, or 100 from Dark Reign. There was a list of 100 random Hive encounters…I will forever lament the loss of that resource.

Lament ye not! A quick google search shows that some unsung hero has yoinked one of the old d100 tables-shipboard encounters-placed it in a very nice format and PDF'd it. I helped write up a lot of those old tables, so it's nice to see them reproduced in such a nice format.

here's the link

I have no idea who did this, but they were kind enough to give credit to the various people on these forums (and the old Black Industries forums) who contributed ideas; a very courteous step, in my view, nice work, fella! 

#11 Kage2020

Kage2020

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Just so you know, the forum is back online.  

http://www.darkreign.org/forum

The main site is still down, but I was informed that the content will be put up--and properly credited to the respective authors--as soon as it is possible for a limited number of hands to do it.

Also, I came off a little bit terse in that initial reply, so apologies, CountZero.

#12 BaronIveagh

BaronIveagh

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Hail and well met netizens!  I, The Baron, barer of the Dark Reign Warrent bring you glad tidings.  Our forum, at least, is back up at our new site. 

http://www.darkreign.org/forum/

The Main site will be back up as soon as possible.  ATM our webmaster and myself are a bit preoccupied with 'other issues'.

Count Zero said:

All the info on there was stolen whole cloth from published material. It may have caught up with them. It's still there in spirit…http://web.archive.o...k.com/drjoomla/

If you have any solid proof of 'plagerism' please alert our editorial staff.  However, do not confuse us publishing it BEFORE FFG/GW with plagerism on our part.  Or publishing thier press releases as 'News' as, it is, in fact, News.

I value our continued good relations with FFG's writers, staff, and artists, and would prefer not to ruffle any further feathers than have already been ruffled.  

However, I am also certain that if such plagerism had, in fact, occured, as the new owner and operator of Dark Reign, if such plagerism had, in fact, taken place, FFG/GW would have informed me about it. 

PARTICULARLY GW.  We all know how they are abotu the slightest hint of infringment.

#13 Homunculus

Homunculus

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

Praise be to the Golden Throne - I've been using DR fan-made stuff for almost everyone of my games over the last three years. It saddened me when the site went down three months ago, I thought some real trouble was a-brewing

#14 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Hello All, 

This is the newly appointed webmaster for Dark Reign, tethered servitor to Baron and all that pompous jazz. ^^.

Just popping in to inform everyone I moved all the old, user generated files to a private, open directory here until I can work on the main site sometime this upcoming weekend. 

#15 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hi there

will you still be putting up the old deathworld homeword?

#16 Adam France

Adam France

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Lightbringer said:

Alekzanter said:

Lament ye not! A quick google search shows that some unsung hero has yoinked one of the old d100 tables-shipboard encounters-placed it in a very nice format and PDF'd it. I helped write up a lot of those old tables, so it's nice to see them reproduced in such a nice format.

here's the link

I have no idea who did this, but they were kind enough to give credit to the various people on these forums (and the old Black Industries forums) who contributed ideas; a very courteous step, in my view, nice work, fella! 

Heh, I started that one way back on the BI boards, but it's been greatly added to - which is good.

You don't have a copy of the Hive Encounter Table by any chance LB?

#17 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

Cogniczar said:

Hello All, 

This is the newly appointed webmaster for Dark Reign, tethered servitor to Baron and all that pompous jazz. ^^.

Just popping in to inform everyone I moved all the old, user generated files to a private, open directory here until I can work on the main site sometime this upcoming weekend. 

Any progress?

#18 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Currently we can be found at www.darkreign.org

I've started readding the files one by one under 'collections'. I've had no success in getting the old database to transfer gracefully from jmoola to drupal during our site movement. Once I get all the pdfs and zip files uploaded, I'll have to query the old database for the submissions that were site-dependant (i.e. submissions that were written in plain text). 

It's a slow process due to my inexperience, but i'm gaining speed now. ^^.

#19 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:17 AM

Update!

I've finally finished manually re-entering each article/download that was available on the old domain. Barring two downloads (Eldar Outcast and Servitor Career Path), I will be focusing next on restoring authorship. 

I'll begin this process next month (july 15th) because I would like to see the old contributors (Adam France, Evilscary, No1, Lightbringer, etc, etc) create an account with our new site. Otherwise, I'll have to make faux accounts to set the author. 

Also I'd like to encourage everyone to rejoin us as we will be having a small competition to kick start things (I'll announce the full details on the 14th).

-Messiahcide

#20 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

DARK REIGN!!!  YAY!!!  Ohh how I missed thee.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS