Grand masters of the marine chapters

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Twilight_Artificer

Twilight_Artificer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Okay, the group is under Ordo Hereticus sector of the inquisition which has taken them several different places. They are in a variety of ranks between three and five on their respecive class charts pending character and experience level with the average being four. This has garniered them a bit more room to manuver and they have gone on more pressing missions which have taken them, as heresy and taint knows no bounds, to various places and they have met on a few occasions, Space Marines of various chapters: Ultramarines, Dark Angels, and Grey knights.

I want them to run into the grey knights again however I have a question about it. I want to bring up the Grand Master of the space marines but that person is Kaldor Drago who is currently wandering around the warp, for those who know the Grey knights well enough is there anyone in the area of "acting grand master?" In dragos absence?

#2 FieserMoep

FieserMoep

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

In fact the Grey Knights have a Council of 8 Grand Masters that rule the Grey Knights. The head of them is the supreme Grand Master aka Kaldor Draigo, Lord of Titan. This council is the legacy of the 8 original Space Marines that were the first Grey Knights and its main function is to save the chapter from Corruption. Every important decision can only be made with the acceptance of all Grand Masters, though pro Forma the Supreme Grand Master is the highest authority of the Grey Knights.

Another Grand Master (Everyone of those 8 is comparable if not superior to any other chapter master) is Mordrak, a Grey Knight that is accompanied by the ghosts of his fallen Brothers is Battle. He might be a bit strange  because he literaly fights with psycic incarnations of those Grey Knights that have fallen under his command. I would suggest you to invent just another Grand Master, at least there are 6 we do not know anything about.

But keep Draigo out of the game. He is a crazy badass that is literaly the purest warrior of the imperium. I can not imagine any way to portray him as a GM. When he talks every ******* word must be so deep and amazing that from this point any of your PCs feels like crap.^^

#3 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Yet Draigo pales in comparison to Marneus Calgar, whose musculous might shall have your PCs accepting him as their spiritual liege from the moment he opens his mouth. Indeed, it was said that Calgar seduced an entire convent of Battle Sisters with but a word, their writhing bodies providing a pure shield for his armor as he spake further, informing M'kar the Reborn how irredeemably lame he was. M'kar thus shamed committed seppuku with his own daemon weapon, sparing Calgar the trouble of sullying his Gauntlets of Ultramar.

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#4 FieserMoep

FieserMoep

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

Ward is that you?

#5 guest469

guest469

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

Boss Gitsmasha said:

Yet Draigo pales in comparison to Marneus Calgar, whose musculous might shall have your PCs accepting him as their spiritual liege from the moment he opens his mouth. Indeed, it was said that Calgar seduced an entire convent of Battle Sisters with but a word, their writhing bodies providing a pure shield for his armor as he spake further, informing M'kar the Reborn how irredeemably lame he was. M'kar thus shamed committed seppuku with his own daemon weapon, sparing Calgar the trouble of sullying his Gauntlets of Ultramar.

Please stop giving them ideas! 

#6 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

FieserMoep said:

Ward is that you?

INDEED.

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#7 Dige

Dige

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Remember folks, that our favourite Grey Knight isnt so great Mary Sue in the date of official Dark Heresy, which is 820s m41.  There is some potential in this, if you as GM want to have fun :D.

He even is not the Supreme Grand Master, although probably one of the eight. That promotion happened approximately 900m41.

Aand.. Given that the Acolytes are working for an Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor, they really should not expect to survive the encounter with Grey Knights. Probably at best they would be mind-cleansed. However it is your game, do whatever you want.

But to answer your question: No background indicates that the greatest and most well prepared anti-Warp fighters of the Imperium have a backup-plan if their Supreme Grand Master dissapears into the Warp. They apparently havent even listed him as dead/lost in warp and just replaced him. Yes, there is some sarcasm in my text here. Just a liittle*.

-D.

*= I mean, even the Imperial Guard understands that if a superior officer is gone/dead/missing, someone should step to his shoes. But not the Grey Knigts? Wwwwwwwwwward.

#8 FieserMoep

FieserMoep

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

Dige said:

But to answer your question: No background indicates that the greatest and most well prepared anti-Warp fighters of the Imperium have a backup-plan if their Supreme Grand Master dissapears into the Warp. They apparently havent even listed him as dead/lost in warp and just replaced him. Yes, there is some sarcasm in my text here. Just a liittle*.

Well, I try to explain that to myself with the more or less fact that there is not much the Grey Knights can discuss about. Even their council of Grand Masters is spread around the whole Galaxy and the agenda of the Grey Knights seems to work for lotsa millenias now. I guess there is no monday meeting where the Knights have to say how many demons they have slayed last week. They are very dezentralised, even more that the Black Templars, and their Justicars or Brother-Captains are trusted so well that they have a free hand on their missions. The only thing the Grand Masters are doing is to accept or decline the request form the Inquisition to support a specific mission. It is not a republic where laws musst pass or else.

And the Imperial Guard needs some ranks filled because its hirarchy is very strict and not every field-officer is a tactical mastermind like the Grey Knights Justicars are. Also it is something different to lead a regiment of 1.000 man or a Strike Team of 5 Marines though the combat power is in favor of the Knights. xDDD

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS