Final Rebel list for Kessel Run

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ixamos

Ixamos

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Here's my final 2 list that I will be taking with me for my LGS Kessel Run event.

Wedge - R2D2
Rookie Pilot - R2 Astromech
Gold Sq. Pilot - Ion Cannon

-or-

Wedge - R2 Astromech
Dutch - Ion Cannon
Rookie Pilot x2

So far the first build against 3 named pilot Rebels are awesome. My 2nd build I have not really tried it yet, after reading alot of comments in the forum that Dutch works well with Wedge, I decided to give it a shot.

#2 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

I'm still skeptical of the 4 ship rebel builds due to forced low pilot skills on most of your guys. I'm heavily contemplating one of the following two squads:

Solo Operatives:
Wedge (29)
-R2 Astro (1)
-Protons (4)
-Expert Handling (2)
Horton (25)
-Protons (4)
-Ion Cannon (5)
Luke (28)
-R2 Astro (1)

Total is 99 points, which allows me to flip for initiative or just straight up win it, allowing Wedge, Luke, and Horton to gang up on 1 or 2 enemies every round before anyone gets to shoot. Target selection is a bit difficult for the enemy, since Horton will be kept at range 2 as often as possible to rock the ion re-rolls, Wedge is obviously a huge threat, and if Luke is left alive he can easily survive long enough against a few remaining enemies to finish up the game

Or, there's the other one, which takes away one of the threats of the first squad to add in some known defense for Wedge

Trench Run:
Wedge (29)
-R2 Astro (1)
-Protons (4)
-Expert Handling (2)
Biggs (25)
-R2-F2 (3)
Luke (28)
-R2 Astro (1)
-Protons (4)
-Squad Leader (2)

Here, Luke gives Biggs his action, letting Biggs evade and R2 for nigh-invulnerability. Luke himself is still a hard target even without evade, because of his ability. Wedge's goal and mission remain unchanged: KILL EVERYTHING

The first squad has more firepower than the second, and also has the ability for each of the three pilots to flutter about wherever they want and still be just as effective as they would be flying as a formation. Obviously, it's better to focus fire, but these guys don't lose anything for being away from their friends. The second list gains a hige amount of synergy, with Biggs covering Luke and Wedge, and Luke making Biggs stupidly hard to kill, but it requires that all three remain fairly close (all within 1 of Biggs at least, and preferably between him and any enemies so he can take the heat with his redonculus defense).

#3 Ixamos

Ixamos

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Eruletho said:

I'm still skeptical of the 4 ship rebel builds due to forced low pilot skills on most of your guys. I'm heavily contemplating one of the following two squads:

Solo Operatives:
Wedge (29)
-R2 Astro (1)
-Protons (4)
-Expert Handling (2)
Horton (25)
-Protons (4)
-Ion Cannon (5)
Luke (28)
-R2 Astro (1)

Total is 99 points, which allows me to flip for initiative or just straight up win it, allowing Wedge, Luke, and Horton to gang up on 1 or 2 enemies every round before anyone gets to shoot. Target selection is a bit difficult for the enemy, since Horton will be kept at range 2 as often as possible to rock the ion re-rolls, Wedge is obviously a huge threat, and if Luke is left alive he can easily survive long enough against a few remaining enemies to finish up the game

Or, there's the other one, which takes away one of the threats of the first squad to add in some known defense for Wedge

Trench Run:
Wedge (29)
-R2 Astro (1)
-Protons (4)
-Expert Handling (2)
Biggs (25)
-R2-F2 (3)
Luke (28)
-R2 Astro (1)
-Protons (4)
-Squad Leader (2)

Here, Luke gives Biggs his action, letting Biggs evade and R2 for nigh-invulnerability. Luke himself is still a hard target even without evade, because of his ability. Wedge's goal and mission remain unchanged: KILL EVERYTHING

The first squad has more firepower than the second, and also has the ability for each of the three pilots to flutter about wherever they want and still be just as effective as they would be flying as a formation. Obviously, it's better to focus fire, but these guys don't lose anything for being away from their friends. The second list gains a hige amount of synergy, with Biggs covering Luke and Wedge, and Luke making Biggs stupidly hard to kill, but it requires that all three remain fairly close (all within 1 of Biggs at least, and preferably between him and any enemies so he can take the heat with his redonculus defense).

How well does your build go against a swarm of TIEs?

#4 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:41 AM

unfortunately, I don't know. I'm having problems finding people to play against in Nowhere, Georgia. I am about to start playing on Vassal every day just to get practice in. I will be playing in a KRT or two, but I have to drive 700 miles to get to them.

I've heard a lot about how 3 rebels tend to do porrly against 7-8 TIEs, but I've also seen that most people on these forums are fielding a smaller number of TIEs than that. With Vader, Howlrunner, and Mithel/Backstabber/Curse, there's normally at least 2-3 unique pilots on IMP sqauds that have been proposed for the KRT. That make sme think that I won't be seeing any TIE swarms, so building against them seems sort of redundant.

Against a swarm of TIEs, I think the 4 ship build is better. It gives you the ability to lose a ship to their entire swarm and still have 3 shots per round, NTM kill an extra TIE early on. But, if there are more unique pilots flying around, then the low pilot skill of 3 of the 4 ships will likely be your undoing. In the above example of Vader, Howlrunner, and let's say Mithel, Wedge is going to shoot first and most likely take out a TIE. With luck, it'll be howlrunner or mithel, but it's more likely going to be one of the generic ties. Then Vader, Mithel, Howlrunner, and any higher skill generics (through swarm tactics or just being obsidians) are gonna focus on one of your low value X's, and will probably take it out before it gets to fire it's first shot.
Keep in mind, this is all theoryflying, as I haven't gotten a lot of playtime in yet.

Granted, the same thing happening to one of my pilots would devestate my squads a lot more than it would yours, but at least my guy would have gotten a shot off.

#5 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

Ixamos said:

Here's my final 2 list that I will be taking with me for my LGS Kessel Run event.

Wedge - R2D2

-or-

Wedge - R2 Astromech
Dutch - Ion Cannon
Rookie Pilot x2

So far the first build against 3 named pilot Rebels are awesome. My 2nd build I have not really tried it yet, after reading alot of comments in the forum that Dutch works well with Wedge, I decided to give it a shot.

I like them both, but I really love your second list.  The Wedge Dutch Combo is probably my faverate in the game.  Dutch keeps feeding Wedge Target Locks, and Wedge focusses and uses his target lock against opponants who lose an agility dice.  If Wedge can put two hits on a TIE, then Dutch can finish them off with his Ion-cannon.  They can do this pretty much every round as long as Dutch and Wedge are close.  Dutch's ability to feed target locks, along with 1 agilty dice makes him a tempting target.  If you are lucky your opponant will dither on who to kill first Dutch or Wedge.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#6 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:06 AM

Ixamos said:

Eruletho said:

Solo Operatives:
Wedge (29)
-R2 Astro (1)
-Protons (4)
-Expert Handling (2)
Horton (25)
-Protons (4)
-Ion Cannon (5)
Luke (28)
-R2 Astro (1)

Trench Run:
Wedge (29)
-R2 Astro (1)
-Protons (4)
-Expert Handling (2)
Biggs (25)
-R2-F2 (3)
Luke (28)
-R2 Astro (1)
-Protons (4)
-Squad Leader (2)

How well does your build go against a swarm of TIEs?

I've run almost Eruletho's first list (with Dutch instead of Horton, plus R2-F2 on Luke). It went very badly against both 5 and 6-ship Imperial builds. The second list is more promising, but I'd want to test it out over a couple of games to see how it handles lists like hothie's World Champs.

#7 Masterson

Masterson

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

Eruletho said:

unfortunately, I don't know. I'm having problems finding people to play against in Nowhere, Georgia. I am about to start playing on Vassal every day just to get practice in. I will be playing in a KRT or two, but I have to drive 700 miles to get to them.

I've heard a lot about how 3 rebels tend to do porrly against 7-8 TIEs, but I've also seen that most people on these forums are fielding a smaller number of TIEs than that. With Vader, Howlrunner, and Mithel/Backstabber/Curse, there's normally at least 2-3 unique pilots on IMP sqauds that have been proposed for the KRT. That make sme think that I won't be seeing any TIE swarms, so building against them seems sort of redundant.

Against a swarm of TIEs, I think the 4 ship build is better. It gives you the ability to lose a ship to their entire swarm and still have 3 shots per round, NTM kill an extra TIE early on. But, if there are more unique pilots flying around, then the low pilot skill of 3 of the 4 ships will likely be your undoing. In the above example of Vader, Howlrunner, and let's say Mithel, Wedge is going to shoot first and most likely take out a TIE. With luck, it'll be howlrunner or mithel, but it's more likely going to be one of the generic ties. Then Vader, Mithel, Howlrunner, and any higher skill generics (through swarm tactics or just being obsidians) are gonna focus on one of your low value X's, and will probably take it out before it gets to fire it's first shot.
Keep in mind, this is all theoryflying, as I haven't gotten a lot of playtime in yet.

Granted, the same thing happening to one of my pilots would devestate my squads a lot more than it would yours, but at least my guy would have gotten a shot off.

Eruletho said:

What part of nowhere Georgia are you in? We are starting to play in Duluth at the Gaming Pit, and I actually live about an hour north of there in Dawsonville.

#8 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

Masterson said:

What part of nowhere Georgia are you in? We are starting to play in Duluth at the Gaming Pit, and I actually live about an hour north of there in Dawsonville.

Atlanta is a huge drive for me, I'm all the way down in Saint Marys / Kingsland. Jacksonville, Florida  is only 45 minutes away but none of the 3 game stores down there are playing the game yet. Only one is even trying, and they are holding off for wave 2 before they start putti ng tourneys together

#9 Red88

Red88

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

Ixamos said:

Wedge - R2D2

-or-

Wedge - R2 Astromech
Dutch - Ion Cannon
Rookie Pilot x2

I'm running a similar fleet to #1 with Luke + swarm instead of Wedge and 1 less R2 unit and have been having pretty solid results with it.  Luke's generally hard to kill with R2D2 and the swarm tactics give you a second early attacker each round

#10 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

Something you should remember abouttourney play is that you can end up playing against your own faction.  I'd worry a little about going up against any list with two ion canons. Wedge is useless if he is going 1 forward the entire game with nothing in his firing arch. 

Also you will see a lot of six tie builds with Vader. Don't worry about Vader.  When he does a turn around or over laps he won't have his two actions and that is when you shoot every thing at him.  Howler Runnera d then Mauler should be your targets first and foremost. Once Vader shoots his missile he lacks fire power. Howler's ability to let ties reroll a dice is huge. Mauler's ability to roll four attack dice at range one is a game changer.  When I play Rebels they are taking a torp each in the first round if I can swing it.  

Just my thoughts,

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS