Rare Crit Instance. What to do?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KarmikazeKidd

KarmikazeKidd

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

It occurred to me earlier that this scenario could actually happen in a game. It would be EXTREMELY rare, mind you. Perhaps it's never even happened yet, which would explain why I haven't seen it come up.

Assume Fighter X and Fighter Y have the same pilot skill and both have a shot on each other. Fighter X has initiative, and Fighter Y has 1 hull point left. After all dice are rolled the remaining damage that must be assigned is one hit, and one crit. Now here's where it possibly gets tricky. Because of the rule about simultaneous attacks, Fighter Y gets to respond with its own attack before being removed. But by rule it does still suffer from any crit effects it sustained in the attack from Fighter X.

Now, generally, when assigning damage hits are dealt (or deflected/dodged) first, then crits. So the question is, when assigning damage to Fighter Y does it still suffer from the crit effect? It would be destroyed after taking the 1 damage from the regular hit without the need for the crit's damage. So do you stop there and not assign the crit, or do you still deal all the cards regardless of the fact that the damage dealt exceeds the remaining hull value? This could make a big difference in the result of Fighter Y's retaliation. He could be Blinded, lose an ion cannon, etc.

So. Thoughts? Methinks we may have to message FFG about this one.

#2 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

When the number of Damage cards dealt to a ship 
equals or exceeds its hull value (yellow number), that 
ship is destroyed (see “Destroying Ships” on page 16).

As damage cards can exceed the hull value, all dealt damage cards have an effect, so returning fire needs to take criticals into account.

#3 Chairborne

Chairborne

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

Page 16 has the answer,

If such a ship would be destroyed, it simply retains its damage cards without being removed from the play area. It may perform an attack as normal during the Combat Phase , although any Face up Damage Cards just dealt to it may affect this attack.

To me this means the Crit applies regardless if a non crit blowed the ship up and the Crit is overkill.

Hope this helps.

#4 KarmikazeKidd

KarmikazeKidd

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Thanks Major, I didn't catch the phrase 'meets or exceeds' at all when looking back through the rulebook. That does indeed answer the question.

#5 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

Ive had it happen a few times, only once was it a pilot skill that mattered (Blinded Pilot LOL) I had Wedge and he had Darth Vader, I shot first gave him blinded pilot, and he died without getting to shoot back.

Though when I see a roll I cant defend I ussually just take the model off and have a habit of not dealing the cards to it.

#6 jimtullis

jimtullis

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:34 AM

I can see this being a problem in "Organized Play".

I think all the damage rolled should be drawn and assigned since It does change the damage deck composition.

My interpretation of page 16 is that the player who has initiative resolves all of his ships firing at that skill level first, then any opponents ships at that level.

Since damage decks have known compositions, usualy involving pairs of each type of crit, seeing which crits have come up already will give some players a better idea of the odds of a particular crit coming up again.

Now, a second question then arises. Can a player peek at the crits on his facedown damage cards? I would say no, but others might allow it.

#7 InspGadgt

InspGadgt

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

This brings up a question now for me…if Swarm Tactics is used to raise a pilot level and they are destroyed by and enemy of the same as his modified pilot level…do they still get return fire?  So does the rule go into effect for the base pilot skill or the modified pilot skill.  I would think the latter but want to be sure.

#8 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

If he's killed while his PS is 8, then he will fire at the same time as other skill 8 pilots.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS