disappointing league kit….

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Suka044

Suka044

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

so i was going to run tournaments at my local shop and they got in the league kits in and i have to say they are 

rather lame. the contents have 2 paper mats for beginers that show all the zones for both sides, a foam playmat 

thats the same picture as the box, a couple colored plastic click counters and some ID cards which the only use 

i found for those are for the front of the FF deck boxes. thats it.. 

the best thing about this league kit would have been the beginer mats IF they were the foam ones

other than that who cares theres nothing worth playing in a tournament for. 

so my question is in the future is there going to be better kits with perhaps promo cards or foil cards 

anything?

#2 TheRealLeo

TheRealLeo

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

Sounds like FFG put in exactly what they said they would:

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=3697

There was a rumor that future kits, or even TO kits might have alternate art cards or foils, but FFG has specifically said they have no intention of doing exclusive promos in any of the kits.

#3 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

And I would be upset if an LCG ever had a card that was unobtainable for instant purchase in a pack knowing for certain that you would get it.

But to keep the OP fresh, I feel alt. art cards are going to have to be a must… Or perhaps a preview card of a card from an unreleased set?

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

To the OP this kit is fine for the first one. I appreciate the learn to play mats and the play mat itself is awesome. Be glad there is a playmat, some of the ones they used for the other LCGs had patches instead which were to put it lightly, less than popular. Also those rubber mats are not cheap so using posters for the learn to play makes a lot more sense. I don't want to pay 3 times the price for some stupid learn to play rubber mats. I want the cool art rubber mats like what we got same as my 14 WoW TCG mats.

To everyone else, hate to break it to you but alternate art cards has already been stated as something that is in the works at the World Championship Weekend. Note these are the exact same cards as you get in any box or packs, just different art. Or in the case of Star Wars they will be using the in universe text, Aurebesh, to replace the name and flavor text on the card. No play advantage or disadvantage just different looking cards.

#5 Keggy

Keggy

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

If I remember correctly, these weren't "league kits," they were "game night kits."  Season 1 of Organized Play starts in January, I would expect to see league kits come out then, and for all of their LCGs.

#6 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

Keggy said:

If I remember correctly, these weren't "league kits," they were "game night kits."  Season 1 of Organized Play starts in January, I would expect to see league kits come out then, and for all of their LCGs.

Same thing. Game night kits are what the kits are called. They can be used to run a league, one day tournament, demo days or whatever way you see fit to use it. I wish I had ordered extras as only one Netrunner kit I don't think will be enough.

#7 byronczimmer

byronczimmer

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

The kits are actually quite nice.

The foam mat is worthwhile as a 'grand prize'.  It rolls up nicely and has a good feel.

Top 2 (?) get click tokens which are a nice to have.

Top 8 get dividers, which have served very well in my 'teaching kit', which has one core set's worth of stuff (and is separate from my tournament sets).  They are bigger than normal cards, so they serve their purpose well as DIVIDERS.

And there 2 paper teaching mats (one for Corp, one for Runner).  These are GREAT for demoing the game during a tournament to people watching and wondering what's going on.  They are very similar to the much clamored for table mats that FFG had at GenCON, and have an embedded click tracker and aciton reminder, forgoing the need for those items while teaching.

The game store running the event will either keep the mats to teach with or will give them out to whomever is being evangelical about the game.

#8 Keggy

Keggy

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:07 AM

Shows how much I know about the kits.  The local store we go to refuses to order them.  Though, one time they ordered the Warhammer pack and gave the prizes to the rpg and miniatures players.

#9 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

Keggy said:

Shows how much I know about the kits.  The local store we go to refuses to order them.  Though, one time they ordered the Warhammer pack and gave the prizes to the rpg and miniatures players.

Email FFG they might let you get your own account so you can order them to use locally.

#10 byronczimmer

byronczimmer

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

Toqtamish said:

Keggy said:

Email FFG they might let you get your own account so you can order them to use locally.

Business to Business Only

Lots of people on BGG tried to order to their personal house/apt/etc and were turned down.

These are intended for stores that are going to show ongoing support for the product line.

#11 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

byronczimmer said:

Toqtamish said:

Keggy said:

Business to Business Only

Lots of people on BGG tried to order to their personal house/apt/etc and were turned down.

These are intended for stores that are going to show ongoing support for the product line.

I am aware of what B2B is. Also I would not have suggested if it was not a possibility. I know it is possible to do in certain circumstances. That is great for people on BGG they obviously did not have B2B accounts. That is why I told Keggy to email them to get one set up before he orders. I don't even know how people without B2B accounts could see the kits to even add them to their carts. I only ever see the kits when I sign in to my B2B account on the online store.

#12 Suka044

Suka044

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

i guess im just used to other organized play programs where you win something more substantial. 

i used to play other tcg's and i love the fact that all the cards are availible to everyone so its not a "money" game but 

on the other side what can you really win in tournaments? say i won that mat then what?  

#13 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

Suka044 said:

i guess im just used to other organized play programs where you win something more substantial. 

i used to play other tcg's and i love the fact that all the cards are availible to everyone so its not a "money" game but 

on the other side what can you really win in tournaments? say i won that mat then what?  

Playmat is standard prize in local level WoW TCG events for first place. Not sure what other games you are referring to. Personally I think playmat is quite substantial. I love playmats.

Higher level FFG events like the World Championships held at the FFG Center have exclusive prizes for placing well including a standard top prize of a trophy and a chance to design your own card for a future expansion. You can also get deck boxes and playmats for participation.

#14 ffaristocrat

ffaristocrat

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

The rumors are true - the game night kits will have alternate art cards for Melange Mining Corp and Crypsis.

#15 Paddosan

Paddosan

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

ffaristocrat said:

The rumors are true - the game night kits will have alternate art cards for Melange Mining Corp and Crypsis.

Unless the Melange Mining Corp alternate art depicts a scene of an Harvester on Arrakis, I'm gonna be disappointed!

#16 Suka044

Suka044

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

Yeah I saw the new game night kits and those have some cool stuff in there

#17 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

Paddosan said:

Unless the Melange Mining Corp alternate art depicts a scene of an Harvester on Arrakis, I'm gonna be disappointed!

That'd be sweet!

#18 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

Just an FYI for those interested in what the word Melange means other than the spice from the Dune universe:

. Geology A metamorphic rock formation created from sediments and rocks scraped off the top of a downward-moving tectonic plate in a subduction zone.

#19 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:39 AM

So the illustration should be a layer of breccia?

#20 Penfold

Penfold

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

For the world Championship in AGoT one of the guys got a Warhammer. Apparently it was a serious warhammer, weighed something like 20 lbs, full shaft and everything (I wasn't there, but so the talk after the tournament was). They shipped it to the guys home so he didn't have to try and get it through airport security… how funny would that conversation with TSA be?

I recall one year they gave away a replica of Ice as well (Eddard Stark's greatsword).

So if the game is popular they are willing to spend some money on, how would you say, quite substantial prizes.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS