Doubts about combined SSU Units

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jkrax

jkrax

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:07 AM

The other day playing with a friend wh had this doubt. I go with allies, hes SSU. He has the Comisar rule, so he can mix toghether 2 infantry units. He had one big Fakiely+Fakiely+Comisar unit.

Our doubts are:

1- That super-unit, counts as one unit or as two units, for purposes of calculating initiative dice? (We assume the Comisar, being treated as a hero who is inside a unit, doesnt count as a unit for the purposes of calculating initiative dice). 

2- That super-unit, counts as one unit or as two units, for purposes of calculating kill points? The same goes here for the comisar, since as being a hero inside a unit doesn´t provide an extra kill point… but the mega-unit is still treated as 1 or 2 units when calculating killing point?

Problem is, you dont buy a super-unit, you just buy 2 separate units and unite it in the game… but were unsure how to proceed here. We still thought that it counted as 2 units (both for initiative and kill points); but nonetheless we´d like to know a little more. Any feedback will be much appreciated, thanks!

#2 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

My understanding is that the combined unit is a single entity for everything after they are deployed. The advantage for combining is the reduction in initiative dice and available kill points for your enemy. 

Combined units do have their drawbacks. Combined units, being huge, will have a more difficult time with cover as well as Spray weapons. A flame thrower will be rolling 11 dice against that unit and a Lothar artillery shot would be 22 dice.

#3 jkrax

jkrax

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

ItsUncertainWho said:

Combined units do have their drawbacks. Combined units, being huge, will have a more difficult time with cover as well as Spray weapons. A flame thrower will be rolling 11 dice against that unit and a Lothar artillery shot would be 22 dice.

Dont tell me about it! I managed to kill one soldier of that unit, so there where 10 left, and I attacked with The Chef…. 20 dice! And had only 2 hits :( one of wich was saved by armor :( sooooo sad :P hahaha

Anyways thanks for your opinion, but does anyone knows if this has been officialy resolved? If so, where and how? Thanks!

#4 Major Malfunction

Major Malfunction

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

The Dust Warfare: Operation Zverograd rulebook says that the two units are combined into one large unit during deployment, and that the Commissar becomes the new unit leader.

Seems pretty clear to me. If you use that ability, the Commissar and the two units are now a single big unit. Nothing anywhere suggests they still count as two seperate units for in game purposes. This is no different than Heroes joining a unit; they count as one from that point forward.

#5 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:17 AM

The book is pretty clear on the matter, like Major Malfunction said.

If you really need a set in stone answer, use the Rules Questions link at the bottom of the page, in grey.

#6 jkrax

jkrax

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:57 AM

OK, thanks for the answer, well use it like that from now on ;) 

Thanks!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS