How to physically create shields for your x wing /y wing/tie advanced

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pelagius

Pelagius

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

I am looking for suggestions on how to represent shields (and or physical damage) for your x wing y wing and tie advanced - and later A wing and Mil Falcon

on the ships themselves without being obtrusive to the game and looking cool

right Now I am using squares of blue cloth that I stack under the models- simply removing one when it is damaged

I have thought of wrapping blue rubber bands around the base - as an alternative

Another fancier thought would be additional cutt -out plastic bases to place the ships on (from home depot ) or wooden bases (from art store)

To represent damage I am thinking of clipping damage markers on the plastic base or the stand of the base..or red squares of cloth that stack under the model… but have not experimented with it

anyone else have any ideas?   

#2 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

You know the game comes with little blue pieces for the shields and little red ones for damage right?

#3 Pelagius

Pelagius

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

Yep, but I want to make it look better….

I will post some pictures and want to see if anyone likes these examples

#4 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Don't think bits of cloth or elastic bands would improve the look over the counters.  I either place the shield tokens in the slots for ship umbers if not needed or placed between the numbers if they are.  Don't really need damage markers.

#5 Alamoth

Alamoth

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

If you want to get real snazzy you'd put some magnets into the model and then make some small magnetized attachments. For shields you could create magnetized shield generators or bluish shields and remove them. Then for damage you could make some felt flames and and attach them as the ship takes more damage. You could probably come up with something for the Ion cannon as well.

This idea is probably more effort than it's worth.

#6 Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:07 AM

What I would do is to get some clear plastic notebook deviders.  cut them out to fit the base so that they can slip on and off the peg. (Something like a U-Shaped) For instance you can make five templates for the X-wing two with shields and three with hual points (just mark them at different locations on each tile. maybe 2 shields on the left and 3 huals on the right .  as you get hit simply take a slip off.  since they are clear you can see all five marks at once.  Just an idea but I think it could work in fact I might try to make some myself.

#7 Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:15 AM

Lord Dragon said:

What I would do is to get some clear plastic notebook deviders.  cut them out to fit the base so that they can slip on and off the peg. (Something like a U-Shaped) For instance you can make five templates for the X-wing two with shields and three with hual points (just mark them at different locations on each tile. maybe 2 shields on the left and 3 huals on the right .  as you get hit simply take a slip off.  since they are clear you can see all five marks at once.  Just an idea but I think it could work in fact I might try to make some myself.

Just thought of this as well if you really want to be fancy get a pack of printable transparentcys design them on your computer and then prent them out and cut them

#8 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

Major Mishap said:

Don't think bits of cloth or elastic bands would improve the look over the counters.  I either place the shield tokens in the slots for ship umbers if not needed or placed between the numbers if they are.  Don't really need damage markers.

I put my shield tokens and damage cards on the pilot card on the edge of the table. It was too much of a pain to move everything without mixing things up every time I moved a ship.

#9 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

Grape Starburst said:

I put my shield tokens and damage cards on the pilot card on the edge of the table. It was too much of a pain to move everything without mixing things up every time I moved a ship.

This! It's a pain to clutter up the board with tokens that don't really need to be there.

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 5 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s<p>Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas

#10 ThadiusCole

ThadiusCole

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

I always assumed you were supposed to place the shield markers on the pilot card to keep track of what ship had what damage.  I can see why players prefer to keep them next to their models though to keep track a little easier. 

I don't really see any good alternative to the tokens though without going through some expense and hassle just to have a fighter that looks like a shield is around it.

#11 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

go to any supermarket / bowling alley / arcade / random store around you that sells the little junky toys that come in clear plastic cases with colorful lids. Buy several, then take them home. Hit a hobby shop on the way home to pick up some clear pegs and some modeling clay or something you can use to make a base for the peg. Remove the colorful lids from the packages (give the toys to your kids / dogs / neighbors / enemies, you won't need them) and cut the bubble that's left a bit so it fits perfectly to the model you want shields for. Cut the pegs to size and glue one end into the bubble somewhere. Out of the clay / other material, mold a base for the peg that will sit on your model, then let it sit however long your chosen medium requires (don't let it set ON the model, so it can be removed. You want it to stay there when placed but also be able to be taken off, right?). Now you have a reasonable facsimile of a shield that can be placed over your chosen mini when it has shields up. If you wanted them to be markers, cut multiple of the bubble-container-things and just stack them on the one that has the peg.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS