House Rankings

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Based on both standings and popularity from Worlds, Stahleck and China it looks like Targ, Martell and Stark are the top Houses right now, with Bara and Lanni at the bottom.  Things may change when we start seeing Naval power, but for the time being how would everyone rank the Houses? 

#2 alquimista

alquimista

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

In my opinion

TOP Houses: Stark, Targaryen, Greyjoy

OK Houses: Martell

"MEH" Houses: Lannister, Baratheon

#3 Francisco G.

Francisco G.

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

Before enslaved and HoD:

Top: Targ-Stark-Greyjoy

Ok: Martel

Bottom: Lanni-Bara

After enslaved and HoD:

Top: Targ-Stark

Ok: Greyjoy-Martel-Lanni

Bottom: Bara

After changing restriction List to include all the things that Bara hates ;)

Top: Targ-Stark

Ok:Bara-Greyjoy-Martel-Lanni

#4 Twn2dn

Twn2dn

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

I understand why Bara receives low marks, but it continues to confound me that Lanni is ranked among the worst houses. It has the easiest access to draw (still the best card advantage mechanic in the game) and gold generation. It has powerful characters, and especially some of the most powerful shadows characters. It's non-draw locations historically haven't been is strong, but Pentoshi Manor is pretty amazing, and Tunnels is extremely strong (maybe the strongest location in the game, depending on how you evaluate cards).

I would agree that PBtT is relatively weak (despite Greg's amazing showing at World's), but a shadows build or one that leverages Tunnels seems to me an incredibly powerful build that is also fairly resilient, so long as you can get past First Snow of Winter.

#5 Twn2dn

Twn2dn

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to preempt any discussion of how "bad" Lannis' characters are. My opinion is that Lanni overall has some of the most efficient characters in the game.

0-cost: Not much here other than refugees, but then no house except Targ has great 0-cost characters (excluding Orphan).

1-cost: Lanni's gold-providing characters are among the most efficient 1-drops in the game. But if you're looking for card advantage, Lanni has that covered too with Tommen/Penny/Doubting Septa. If you're looking for control, Cersei's Attendant and Bronn's Hireling are pretty good. If you're into 2-STR tricons for 1-gold, then I'd say House Clegan Outlaw is pretty good, albeit a bit risky.

2-gold: Lanni's best characters at 2-cost compare favorably, I think to other houses. Obviously a bit more intrigue-heavy than most, but overall pretty efficient.

3-gold: If anything, Lanni's 3-cost slot is a bit light on powerful characters. That said, there's still a lot of card advantage with the kneel effects/Qyburn, complimented by powerful indirect control effects such as Yezzan's Grotesquerie. I think Chella is pretty strong too, given her cost….wish they would print a Dothraki with that ability.

4-gold: Lanni's offer here is as good as any other house, with (some of?) the most powerful 4-cost characters in the game (namely shadows Tyrion, Cersie, Jaime.

5+ gold: Lanni misses out here, but so do most houses, with the exception of Martell (TRV, Viper's Bannermen and a couple others).

Lannis' in-house events are pretty good too, with plenty of options for card advantage or removal effects. Obviously not as good as Martell's Cyvasse, but Lanni has a few options that are probably as good as He Calls It Thinking.

#6 Francisco G.

Francisco G.

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Dan, my evbaluation for putting lanni in the middle bottom is because stark and targ are on top, since lanni worst match ups are those 2. If greyjoy and bara…even martel…were on top, lanni would be better. I think also, that enslaved, tunnels (with HoD), and the manor make them a lot more competitive than before.

#7 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Twn2dn said:

I understand why Bara receives low marks, but it continues to confound me that Lanni is ranked among the worst houses. It has the easiest access to draw (still the best card advantage mechanic in the game) and gold generation. It has powerful characters, and especially some of the most powerful shadows characters. It's non-draw locations historically haven't been is strong, but Pentoshi Manor is pretty amazing, and Tunnels is extremely strong (maybe the strongest location in the game, depending on how you evaluate cards).

Lanni certainly seems to be seeing less play than the other Houses; maybe people are just bored with what they perceive to be no new viable mechanics.  I agree with you, I dont think the House is as weak as everyone seems to think but still not sure its top tier right now.  The abundance of card draw is still a huge advantage, not sure gold matters so much anymore though since any House can put together almost ten 0-cost non-Limited discount locations. 
Theres a lot more toolbox potential with them than there used to be, I feel like Targ was the "toolbox champ" for quite some time but the crown may have passed to Lanni now… if so, does this discourage players from building?  Is it just problematic in general for players to find solid builds

Twn2dn said:

I forgot to preempt any discussion of how "bad" Lannis' characters are. My opinion is that Lanni overall has some of the most efficient characters in the game.

Lannis' in-house events are pretty good too, with plenty of options for card advantage or removal effects. Obviously not as good as Martell's Cyvasse, but Lanni has a few options that are probably as good as He Calls It Thinking.

Agree that Lanni has some of the most efficient guys, and guys with great effects, its often dificult for me to wean down my characters when building in Lanni.  After using it 3x for the past few months I think House Divided is possibly on par with Cyvasse.  It doesnt have the mid-Challenge control that Cyvasse does but the effect is ridiculous, especially if you have 2 of them in your hand.  Lanni Attachments are pretty strong now too, Enslaved and/or Slander and Lies should slot easily into most Lanni builds

EDIT: Sorry this got really off-topic… 

#8 Twn2dn

Twn2dn

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:22 AM

Francisco G. said:

Dan, my evbaluation for putting lanni in the middle bottom is because stark and targ are on top, since lanni worst match ups are those 2. If greyjoy and bara…even martel…were on top, lanni would be better. I think also, that enslaved, tunnels (with HoD), and the manor make them a lot more competitive than before.

Yeah, I didn't mean to jump on your case…I think that generally there is a "consensus" that Lanni is weak, and your results accurately reflect this community view. To some degree, I'm sympathetic to this claim, since not all houses can be #1 if you are ranking them.

My main point is that I think people consider Lanni weaker than it really is. But perhaps we've reached a point where it is less helpful (though not entirely useless) to talk about houses in broad terms. Maybe rankings should take into account the builds, or at the very least the agenda. Because Targ KotHH is tier 1, and I think Targ maesters is too, but nobody is arguing that Targ Heir or Targ White Book are tier 1. This is particularly relevant for Lanni, where I think one can accurately say that Lanni kneel is no longer tier 1, but the question is, where does Lanni PbtT or Lanni HoD rank?

#9 Dobbler

Dobbler

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

I love Lanny right now

I feel very confident lanny has Tier 1 builds using Maester's Path, PbtT, HoD, Shadows agenda, Winter agenda or no agenda.

The interesting this is that none of those decks looks incredibly different from each other.

#10 Twn2dn

Twn2dn

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

Dobbler said:

I love Lanny right now

I feel very confident lanny has Tier 1 builds using Maester's Path, PbtT, HoD, Shadows agenda, Winter agenda or no agenda.

The interesting this is that none of those decks looks incredibly different from each other.

Good point, Greg. I have work-in-progress builds for Lanni HoD, Lanni shadows, and Lanni KotHH. Obviously KotHH isn't optimal, but it's there to help me explore the power level of Double Bluff and Ser Gregor, who I realized only after playing with him is a huge beast of a character when combined with Pentoship Manor…it's really quite silly how well those cards work together. Eventually I hope to shift away from KotHH and work in influence somehow.

As you point out, a lot of these builds look similar. My versions all run some kneel, draw, resources and a few powerful characters such as shadows Tyrion (who might be the most powerful 4-gold character in the game). Of course, they all run 3x Pentoship Manor, and I think at least one copy each of Iron Throne/Brothel/Toll Gate.

One major distinction between the different builds though is how they play. Even if a Lanni TMP build looks similar to a HoD build, they play very differently, especially in terms of plots and what you need to do to win. Of course, there are some similarities ("Challenge action…kneel Pentoshi Manor"), but to me the gameplay still feels different. And that variety is a nice feeling.

#11 Dobbler

Dobbler

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

Twn2dn said:

Ser Gregor, who I realized only after playing with him is a huge beast of a character when combined with Pentoship Manor…it's really quite silly how well those cards work together. 

Add in some out of house Field Spikes for more fun with Pentoshi Manor

#12 Twn2dn

Twn2dn

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

Dobbler said:

Twn2dn said:

Ser Gregor, who I realized only after playing with him is a huge beast of a character when combined with Pentoship Manor…it's really quite silly how well those cards work together. 

Add in some out of house Field Spikes for more fun with Pentoshi Manor

Hmmm…you're giving me ideas for a character-lite deck. Wonder if I could play it in Targ, so that I get the Tourney Grounds and burn as well.

#13 Dobbler

Dobbler

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Yep, I already build my char-lite deck, although I still had too many characters (20+)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS