• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

I know we have discused here the possibility of card-only boosters to add new pilots to existing ships.

I would love to particularly get new astromechs. Although there is a good variety curently with a singel wave, the second wave will not have any new astromech upgrades that can change the flavor of the current ships in the way that the new ship modifications, missile types, and (perhaps - speculating) cannon weapons will.

Homebrews are cool, but anyone else here want some new droids? There was a thread for a bit on A Few Maneuvers about releasing an R2-KT charity release. That would be really great. But some general release upgrades as well would be awesome after Wave 2, particularly if Wave 3 takes another year to get released.

Be seeing you.

#2 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

I would prefer more pilots and upgrades to new ships.  Once we get B-wings and TIE bombers we will pretty much have all the core ships of the Galactic Civil War.  I don't really want EU ships or Ships from other erras, but I would love more pilots, and upgrades.  I am almost as excited for the new upgrades that are comming out with Wave 2 as I am for the ships.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#3 Clancampbell

Clancampbell

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

I too would love to see some more astromechs. I love the little droids. I'd also like to see some "alternate" pilot cards. Like how about Luke or Wedge in a Y-wing? Not exactly cannon, but if Luke can fly with out R2-D2, and Biggs can have him, why not?

#4 Alamoth

Alamoth

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

I actually wonder to what extent they originally toyed with the idea of making Pilot Cards and Ship Cards to go with them. The current cards are essentially just the combination of a ship and a pilot. It's clear which stats come from where so it wouldn't be too difficult to separate them. However, from a presentation perspective it would be difficult to maintain, especially given the cardboard stat cutouts on the bases.

#5 Melkor503

Melkor503

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

I would think that creating new Droid cards, and releasing them in an expansion pack, would actually be fairly easy.  The real trick would be creating "new pilots" to go in the packs.  For example.  A new Luke pilot card would almost have to be for X-Wing, with same stats, but a different ability and perhaps different upgrads. 

Actually, that would be easy.  It would just be difficult to make both of the choices relevant, as one would probably make the other obsolete.

#6 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

I think mostly people want more different pilots, not another Luke. That was a suggestion for using Luke in a different ship. I don't think anyone wants another X-wing Luke.

Be seeing you.

#7 Alamoth

Alamoth

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Part of me thinks it would be really great for them to continually expand the scope of options for ships, pilots, and upgrades. However, I'm also cognizant that eventually it will just be too much to manage for some people.

#8 Zehmyan

Zehmyan

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I would love to see new card elements offered as prizes for a the league.

Things like nifty rangefinders and giant cards are novel.

Alternate models would likely be too expensive for mass distribution outside limited events such as Conventions.

But card elements? I could see those as very doable, and by creating new game elements instead of just doing oversized cards, they'd have a way to tinker with the Metagame periodically.  OP kits could come with Limited Edition Pilot cards, some of those might be variant versions of existing Pilots, such as a Rouge Squadron Luke as opposed to his Red Squadron version. Participation prizes could come in the form of Droid, Weapos and Skills. Every now and then they could make speacial token cards a prize.

This is what I have been holding my breath for. This kind of prize support could launch this game into orbit, and with wave two launching soon, they're already at the Hanger Bay preparing for takeoff.

#9 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

I don't want to have limited edition stuff. Just make some card-only expansions, or load up Wave 3 models with more stuff even if they can't use it. Would anyone complain if there were more astromechs in a B-wing model, for example, evne if a B-wing doesn't have astromech upgrades?

Be seeing you.

#10 poloniumandrats

poloniumandrats

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

I'd really like to see a C3PO co-pilot/crew member thing.

He could have something like

"Allows the ship to be equipped with an astromech droid"

Which is kinda canonical, as C3PO could translate and give orders to the astromech, which can clearly fit into and help to fix a ship like the falcon.

And mabye a Leia one as well, with something like

"If Han Solo is the pilot, he gets distracted by leia being seductive and lists lazily to the left towards her. Everytime you move, roll a die, if "focus", carry out a 2 bank maneuver instead of what you want."

Super useful

Just some thoughts

Edit: And I would also really not like to see event exclusive cards, as they generally screw over anyone who doesn't live near a major population centre.

#11 Alamoth

Alamoth

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

I don't think it's really fair to make anything you could take in your squadron something that is a limited edition whether or not it's a model or an upgrade or a pilot. I think that the oversized cards and range-finders are a great idea. A few other ideas for promotional materials:

• Alternate paint-scheme models
  • Alternate art cards
  • High-quality tokens
  • High-quality movement templates
  • Well produced promotional missions

#12 ThadiusCole

ThadiusCole

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

New pilot cards wouldn't be difficult when it came to picking characters from the EU since they have been dipping into it every now and then, although mostly on the imperial side.  What would worry me is new pilots mean new abilities and these could be exploited or imbalance the game if they didn't have enough testing, but that said I am not against extra pilots for the new tactics.

Droid and weapon boosters would be nice as a seperate pack although again I am not sure what else they could pick from the weapons that would fit.  What could they add for the Imperials?  Droids are great for a rebel player but it leaves the imperial player a little out in the cold just because the empire wanted cheaper fighters.

A scenario booklet would be cool but I would wonder how well it would sell since it isn't hard to come up new missions on your own or in a gaming group.  I remember they made one for tide of iron and I heard it didn't sell well.

I hope FFG don't drop support for the product after the inevitable B-Wing and TIE bomber.  I want new models that go into the EU territory since there are plenty of cool ship designs that would be great for X-Wing. They could do Clone wars era, which seems the most logical but I wonder how many people would want ships of that conflict when the empire VS rebel conflict is far cooler :)

And what's wrong with adding a Skipray Blastboat, R-41 Starchaser, Z-95 Headhunter, Star Viper, Outrunner/YT-2400, TIE Avenger, TIE Defender and many more?  It's better than a repaint of any existing model which you could do yourself anyway and would add new ways to play, new scenarios to create and far more variance to this awesome game.

#13 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

ThadiusCole said:

And what's wrong with adding a Skipray Blastboat, R-41 Starchaser, Z-95 Headhunter, Star Viper, Outrunner/YT-2400, TIE Avenger, TIE Defender and many more?  It's better than a repaint of any existing model which you could do yourself anyway and would add new ways to play, new scenarios to create and far more variance to this awesome game.

Even better than that, most of those could concievably be used by either side. Imagine ripping into a Z-95 Headhunter and getting cards for a Bandit Squadron Pilot, Han Solo, Mara Jade, and and Imperial Spy! Not only would that save FFG some cash by making a ship that everyone who is collecting only 1 faction would want to grab, it would appeal to the fans by offering some otherwise hard to imagine fighter pilots the ships they actually flew to use. (Mara always used a headhunter, and Han flew one prior to joining the rebellion)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS