Jump to content



Photo

SSU Tanks on the board


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Boepp

Boepp

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

Hi I've just heard that the SSU tanks like the IS-5 take only two spaces unlike the heavy walkers of the two other blocs. Is this right? And is there anything about turinig the tanks out by now? Because if they only take 2 spaces turning is a bit probelmatic I think.



#2 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

They certainly only take up two squares as depicted by the photo's months ago.  Unfortunately the number of rules for heavy tanks in Zverograd is exactly zero :/



#3 roler12345

roler12345

    Member

  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

How many points is the IS-48 for Dust Tactics?



#4 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

roler12345 said:

How many points is the IS-48 for Dust Tactics?

83 for the Lavrentiy Beria

101 for the Karl Marx



#5 Kriegschatten

Kriegschatten

    Member

  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Boepp said:

Hi I've just heard that the SSU tanks like the IS-5 take only two spaces unlike the heavy walkers of the two other blocs. Is this right? And is there anything about turinig the tanks out by now? Because if they only take 2 spaces turning is a bit probelmatic I think.

 

I guess I'm not seeing why turning is a problem if the tanks only take up 2 instead of 4 spaces?

It would seem that the rules on page 12-13 of Operation Cerebus still apply.

Specifically, look at the example at the top left of page 13.  There it says "vehicles cannot move diagonally if one [of] the corners is a space with impassable
terrain. In diagram D, even though the 'front' of the vehicle has passed the obstacle, the 'back' has not. Only in diagram E, when it has completely cleared the obstacle, can the vehicle turn the corner."

So, it seems pretty clear that tanks can't turn a corner unless the entire vehicle is past the impassable terrain.



#6 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

Kriegschatten said:

Boepp said:

 

Hi I've just heard that the SSU tanks like the IS-5 take only two spaces unlike the heavy walkers of the two other blocs. Is this right? And is there anything about turinig the tanks out by now? Because if they only take 2 spaces turning is a bit probelmatic I think.

 

 

 

I guess I'm not seeing why turning is a problem if the tanks only take up 2 instead of 4 spaces?

It would seem that the rules on page 12-13 of Operation Cerebus still apply.

Specifically, look at the example at the top left of page 13.  There it says "vehicles cannot move diagonally if one [of] the corners is a space with impassable
terrain. In diagram D, even though the 'front' of the vehicle has passed the obstacle, the 'back' has not. Only in diagram E, when it has completely cleared the obstacle, can the vehicle turn the corner."

So, it seems pretty clear that tanks can't turn a corner unless the entire vehicle is past the impassable terrain.

Don't think thats true.  The front half that is past a corner could turn the corner, the back half would move to where the front was, physically rotating the tank 90'



#7 Kriegschatten

Kriegschatten

    Member

  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

Major Mishap said:

Kriegschatten said:

 

Boepp said:

 

Hi I've just heard that the SSU tanks like the IS-5 take only two spaces unlike the heavy walkers of the two other blocs. Is this right? And is there anything about turinig the tanks out by now? Because if they only take 2 spaces turning is a bit probelmatic I think.

 

 

 

I guess I'm not seeing why turning is a problem if the tanks only take up 2 instead of 4 spaces?

It would seem that the rules on page 12-13 of Operation Cerebus still apply.

Specifically, look at the example at the top left of page 13.  There it says "vehicles cannot move diagonally if one [of] the corners is a space with impassable
terrain. In diagram D, even though the 'front' of the vehicle has passed the obstacle, the 'back' has not. Only in diagram E, when it has completely cleared the obstacle, can the vehicle turn the corner."

So, it seems pretty clear that tanks can't turn a corner unless the entire vehicle is past the impassable terrain.

 

 

Don't think thats true.  The front half that is past a corner could turn the corner, the back half would move to where the front was, physically rotating the tank 90'

 

I think that would count as moving diagonally, which tracked vehicles can't do.



#8 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

Kriegschatten said:

I think that would count as moving diagonally, which tracked vehicles can't do.

No part is moving diagonally though, is it? the front is moving 1 horizontal and the rear 1 space vetical.



#9 Lska

Lska

    Member

  • Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

I agree with Major, it's th eonly logic option to use those in tactics.



#10 Kriegschatten

Kriegschatten

    Member

  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Okay, okay!  You guys have convinced me.

 

So, who's going to send the note to the rules guru asking for a decision?



#11 Boepp

Boepp

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:43 AM

Finally I got an answer:
 
You recently asked a question about Dust Tactics:
 
Rule Question:
The new SSU tanks only take two spaces on the board. is it possible to turn them and if it is are there any rules for turning?
 
Units that occupy two spaces may be turned during movement. To perform this maneuver, simply move the front or rear of the unit one space to its right or left, then position its opposite half in the space that was vacated by the half of the unit from which the movement began. A simple diagram is attached below for your convenience. :)
 
I hope this has answered your question. Happy Gaming!
 
Zach Tewalthomas
Assoc. Miniatures Games Producer
Fantasy Flight Games

 



#12 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

Wow, they finally addressed tank movement in a meaningful way! Back goes where the front was. Cool. Could you post the diagram he sent you just so we're sure on this?

As an allied player, I'm really envious of the SSU heavy tanks. Occupying two-squares is a great feature, allowing them to be usable in all missions, while the allied and axis heavies are very restricted in terms on what mission they can be used effectively.



#13 Boepp

Boepp

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:27 PM



#14 Boepp

Boepp

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

It doesn't work but if you want I can send it to you per email.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS