Reb squad help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chris cook

chris cook

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

Has anyone had success with this squad..

Wedge- R2 Astro Expert handle Protons

Luke- R2 F2

Dutch- R5 Ions Proton

Keep Wedge abit back or to the side of imperial swarm

Thanks

#2 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

You have lots of upgrades.

I personally don't like One Shot weapons.  They are a lot of points for only one use.  A proton torpedo's main effect basically just adds an extra attack dice.  Yes it does other things, but it costs 4 points.

I love giving Wedge Expert handling.  The stress isn't so bad since he is performing an action to gain the stress, (so he doesn't lose an action), and then he can get rid of the stress the next turn and get an action that turn.  And Wedge allways moves second.  So he can barrel roll into fireing position, or out of an enemies targeting lock.  But Barrel Roll does require more skill to use well.  If you don't find that you are using it then don't take it.

You also have all named pilots.  All three of the pilots you took are good, but I think you could do better with a couple of red-squadron or rookie pilots

A rookie pilot still flys an x-wing and they shoot before Academy pilots.

More ships means you make more shots and can take more hits.

Three Ace Pilots can get into some real trouble when facing 6 or more TIEs

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#3 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

Hrathen said:

You have lots of upgrades.

I personally don't like One Shot weapons.  They are a lot of points for only one use.  A proton torpedo's main effect basically just adds an extra attack dice.  Yes it does other things, but it costs 4 points.

I love giving Wedge Expert handling.  The stress isn't so bad since he is performing an action to gain the stress, (so he doesn't lose an action), and then he can get rid of the stress the next turn and get an action that turn.  And Wedge allways moves second.  So he can barrel roll into fireing position, or out of an enemies targeting lock.  But Barrel Roll does require more skill to use well.  If you don't find that you are using it then don't take it.

You also have all named pilots.  All three of the pilots you took are good, but I think you could do better with a couple of red-squadron or rookie pilots

A rookie pilot still flys an x-wing and they shoot before Academy pilots.

More ships means you make more shots and can take more hits.

Three Ace Pilots can get into some real trouble when facing 6 or more TIEs

I agree with a lot of this. Starting from the end, there's sort of a rock-paper-scissors thing going on here. Small lists (3 ships) often lose to big lists (6+ ships); big lists often lose to medium lists (4-5 ships); medium lists often lose to small lists. That's based on Internet posts and a small number of local players, but so far it seems like a reasonably reliable guideline.

(To put it another way: better pilots are a moderate advantage, but you can still lose if you're badly outnumbered.)n

So far my favorite combination on Wedge is R2 Astromech + Expert Handling. It means he can both get into and out of situations he wouldn't otherwise have a good way to deal with. But the problem with Wedge is that a smart opponent will attempt to kill him early, and with enough ships he or she stands a good chance of accomplishing it. Many lists deal with that by including Biggs + R2-F2 as a way to draw hits away from Wedge in the first couple of rounds of the dogfight.

Where torpedoes are concerned, I want to like them. They're theoretically a cheap way to whittle your opponent down early if you're outnumbered, or to further capitalize on your own numeric advantage. But you're at the mercy of your dice, and as a result (plus my own consistently rotten luck) I haven't found them as reliable as I wish they were.

But in any case, I feel like forum advice is a poor substitute for play experience. I would encourage you to try the list out, and report the results--good luck!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS