Photo

How many expansions can 1 core set support?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hendersondayton

hendersondayton

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

I have 1 core set.

I have added a Y-Wing, and an X-Wing to the original three.

I want to buy a bunch more expansions but I want to know if my core set can comfortably support 12-15 ships?

Thoughts?

1 Corinthians 10:31 - "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do (even gaming!), do it all for the glory of God."

#2 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

You never need a second core set, per se. It's just good for extra dice and templates, plus it gets you ships more efficiently since one core set costs less than 2 TIE expansions and 1 X-Wing expansion.

#3 hendersondayton

hendersondayton

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

Right now, Amazon is selling Expansions for $8.00 a piece. That is $24. A little cheaper than another core set.

1 Corinthians 10:31 - "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do (even gaming!), do it all for the glory of God."

#4 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:34 AM

It's not really a matter of how many expansions can one core set support.

I would recomend a second core set to get enough dice (3 of each isn't really enough) and a set of movement tiles for each player.  (I usually privide all the stuff needed to play for both players)

Other than that a core set is usually a really cheap way to buy 2 TIE and an X-wing.  You should buy at least one of each TIE and X-Wing expansion to get the unique pilots, but you never need more than one of each so you don't need to buy too many TIE or X-WIng expansions. 

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#5 hendersondayton

hendersondayton

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

Hrathen said:

…You should buy at least one of each TIE and X-Wing expansion to get the unique pilots, but you never need more than one of each so you don't need to buy too many TIE or X-WIng expansions. 

Why would I not need more than one of those expansions?

#6 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:23 AM

There is no point in doubling the unique pilots, as you can only play 1 "Wedge Antilles" per game, and once you have the 1, then the core set is the cheaper way (except amazon right now) to get more X-Wings and TIE fighters. If you were going to be playing at home and had someone else who wanted to play the same faction, then it is worth it to not onyl get two core sets, but also 2 each of the X-wing and TIE booster, just so each player can use all the unique pilots that they want. The non-unique pilots that come in the core set can be used multiple times in a single squad, and I don't believe the expansions give any new non-uniques. At least the Rookie X-Wing pilot and Academy  and Obsidian TIE fighters are in the core, and those are the more frequently used generic ships.

#7 hendersondayton

hendersondayton

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

But as far as having Physical Ships, when this deal at Amazon goes away, you are saying it is cheaper to add ships using core sets. I get it.

For me, the dilemma I am having is that I am a wolfpack of 1. My son is 5 and cannot really get it yet. I don't have a group to play with.

At this point it is "cheaper" for me to use Vassal.

Thanks.

#8 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

hendersondayton said:

Hrathen said:

…You should buy at least one of each TIE and X-Wing expansion to get the unique pilots, but you never need more than one of each so you don't need to buy too many TIE or X-WIng expansions. 

Why would I not need more than one of those expansions?

If buy starter sets you will always get 1 x-wing for every 2 TIEs.  If you want to maintain this ratio then it is ussually cheaper to by starters, but if you don't want the TIEs or if you don't want the X-Wing then it would still be cheaper to by the expansions.

But as for getting the pilots you need, you don't need more than one expansion.

Also people have been saying you can get expansions for ony $8 on amazon.  I don't know if that is true, but if it is true and the starter set is more than $24 on amazon then it would be cheaper to buy the expansions.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#9 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

I believe they are on sale at Amazon, it's not a permenant price. However, I can confirm (having bought 1x each today) that they are 7.99 at amazon.com

#10 Surtur

Surtur

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Don't forget the upgrade cards that come in the xpacs aren't all in the starter.

#11 Chairborne

Chairborne

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

But on the other hand, a majority of the Cards are "Unique Names" which limits their use.

#12 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

as far as generic pilots, you get one of each type of generic with each ship, so that makes no difference whether you build your fleet with starter sets or with expansions. It's things like the generic astromech that comes with the X-wing expansion, that I wish I had more of. That's the only thing I don't have way more of than I need as far as upgrade cards after buying 3 core sets, 3 Ys, 2 TIES, and 3 TIE adv, but only 1 X-wing expansion.

Be seeing you.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS