The one thing that has bugged me…

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 musket_max

musket_max

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

I'm okay with the whole not in space/on the ground combat cross-over thing. I'm fine with the edge battle mechanic. One thing though I do take issue with is one that I have ony just noticed while toying with an X-wing/vehicle focused deck.

Red 5 and Trench Run, by my understanding, cannot be in the same deck.

Does this not slightly bother anyone else? Surely this cannot be, and if I am right in this, then I shall swiftly house-rule this out to make my Yavin 4 attack deck.

#2 zombieearl

zombieearl

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

Wow, i didn't notice that before.  I remember thinking that Red 5 being Jedi was dumb, but now that you point out that it can't be ran with Trench Run, it is ridiculous. 

#3 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

True for now at least. Hopefully sometime in the future another version of Red 5 and/or Trench Run will be printed to allow it. In the meantime, you can at least send Luke on a run.

#4 Andur Saibot

Andur Saibot

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

In addition to this, who is piloting Red 5 and/or Vader's custom TIE if any of those characters are on table?  No uniqueness rule applies in here?

#5 DrNate

DrNate

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

R2D2 in the Jedi only Objective set does bug me, never noticed Red 5 and Trench Run being mutually exclusive (although, now that you mention it, it is going to start nagging at me).

The lack of Lando and especially Chewbacca, who had a card in the previous version of the game, rubs me the wrong way for sure. I hope Chewie is in the first or second chapter packI don't want to have to wait long to add him to my army (*cough* X-Wing *Cough*).

Also, I'm a bit concerned that Hoth gets a whole cycle to itself. I may be biased by my dislike of the Hoth expansion for the Star Wars CCG. I know that it will only end up with 18 Objective sets per side, which doesn't seem like too much. I'm more concerned about getting to my aforementioned Lando card and maybe the Dark Side Bounty Hunters…

Thanks for starting a great thread for people to vent our concerns! 

#6 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

DrNate said:

R2D2 in the Jedi only Objective set does bug me, never noticed Red 5 and Trench Run being mutually exclusive (although, now that you mention it, it is going to start nagging at me).

The lack of Lando and especially Chewbacca, who had a card in the previous version of the game, rubs me the wrong way for sure. I hope Chewie is in the first or second chapter packI don't want to have to wait long to add him to my army (*cough* X-Wing *Cough*).

Also, I'm a bit concerned that Hoth gets a whole cycle to itself. I may be biased by my dislike of the Hoth expansion for the Star Wars CCG. I know that it will only end up with 18 Objective sets per side, which doesn't seem like too much. I'm more concerned about getting to my aforementioned Lando card and maybe the Dark Side Bounty Hunters…

To be completely fair, Chewie wasn't in the premier set for SWCCG either, we had to wait for the first expansion.

#7 Keggy

Keggy

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

I'm guessing a version of Chewie and Lando will be in the scum & spies box.  We might gget a Chewie before then, but I would be surprised to see Lando appear in a Hoth set.

#8 houjix1138

houjix1138

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

Red 5 + Trench Run = potentially quick win for LS. Mechanically I have no problem with those two cards unable to be in the same deck even if thematically it would have been fun.

#9 houjix1138

houjix1138

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

dbmeboy said:

DrNate said:

To be completely fair, Chewie wasn't in the premier set for SWCCG either, we had to wait for the first expansion.

One of the first cards I ever cracked out of a New Hope booster was Chewie.

#10 DrNate

DrNate

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Keggy said:

I'm guessing a version of Chewie and Lando will be in the scum & spies box.  We might gget a Chewie before then, but I would be surprised to see Lando appear in a Hoth set.

Yeah, I don't know when the deluxe expansions will be released,. I hope we don't have to wait too long for them. It has been two years for Lord of the Rings, for example, and the second deluxe expansion just came out. I hope we don't have to wait that long for Scum and Villainy to be a viable deck type (and I hope we don't have to wait that long for multiplayer cards as well) 

#11 DrNate

DrNate

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

houjix1138 said:

Good stuff. I was never lucky enough to get Chewie until Death Star II starter packs. I did get Dagobah Luke in my first Dagobah pack. Fortunately, now that I am too old to be hunting rares, we have LCGs with one (or more) of each card in the core set. And, instead of agonizing over the chase for the rare, we get to agonize over buying another core set. 

#12 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

houjix1138 said:

Nice pull.  I never had much luck with booster packs in the early days… but like I said, Chewie was in the first expansion (A New Hope) and not the initial release even then.  I guess we'll have to wait and see whether Chewie makes it into the Hoth cycle (which he could).

#13 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

musket_max said:

Red 5 and Trench Run, by my understanding, cannot be in the same deck.

Do the rules specifically prohibit building decks that mix factions? I've been thinking all along that you build your deck with a mixture of factions from the Light Side or the Dark Side, depending on which Side you're playing, much in the way you do in Call of Cthulhu? I know it'll possibly make for some difficulty in generating resource matches, but then I'm used to this from Lord of the Rings anyway. 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#14 LMKComaBlack

LMKComaBlack

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

You can mix factions, but the set that includes Red 5 is "Jedi affiliation only." and the set that contains Trench Run is "Rebel Alliance affiliation only."

#15 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

LMKComaBlack said:

You can mix factions, but the set that includes Red 5 is "Jedi affiliation only." and the set that contains Trench Run is "Rebel Alliance affiliation only."

It may be possible in the future that they'll print combo affiliation cards that will allow this though.  Probably at the cost of a lower Starting Reserve value or some such thing.  It's pretty crazy how much they can do by messing with affiliation cards.

#16 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

dbmeboy said:

It may be possible in the future that they'll print combo affiliation cards that will allow this though.  Probably at the cost of a lower Starting Reserve value or some such thing.  It's pretty crazy how much they can do by messing with affiliation cards.

In addition to something like that, they could simply make a new Rebel objective set in the future that has a new version of Red 5 in it.

#17 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

It's not like FFG hasn't already proven that they will put the same card in different objective sets for different factions - granted, so far, they are all neutral, but I could see them including a rebel alliance version of Red 5 that reads the same as the one in the jedi set. Or even easier than that, just include the current version in a new Jedi objective set that isn't affiliation-specific. I don't see it any time soon, however, since their immediate focus is going to be hoth and hoth-related stuff, and by then luke was no longer Red 5 anyway.

As a side note, i am having a hard time thinking of what they could possibly include for the jedi in the hoth cycle. Rebel and Imperial are obvious (can't wait to see snowspeeders and AT-ATs), and Sith isn't hard to imagine, with Vader storming the gates and the hunt for the single remaining jedi continuing. I mean, maybe there could be an objective set about ghosts in the snow, but beyond that… Other than the bit with the wampa and Ben's ghost, Luke was clearly a Rebel the entire time, not a Jedi (scouting mission, something about recovery or medicine, as a snowspeeder pilot, an event that takes down enemy vehicles, and probably some sort of fighter vehicle escape card would be all I can see of Luke on Hoth)

#18 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

Eruletho said:

As a side note, i am having a hard time thinking of what they could possibly include for the jedi in the hoth cycle. Rebel and Imperial are obvious (can't wait to see snowspeeders and AT-ATs), and Sith isn't hard to imagine, with Vader storming the gates and the hunt for the single remaining jedi continuing. I mean, maybe there could be an objective set about ghosts in the snow, but beyond that… Other than the bit with the wampa and Ben's ghost, Luke was clearly a Rebel the entire time, not a Jedi (scouting mission, something about recovery or medicine, as a snowspeeder pilot, an event that takes down enemy vehicles, and probably some sort of fighter vehicle escape card would be all I can see of Luke on Hoth)

My own hypothesis is that this cycle will split off about half way through the cycle (like they do sometimes in LotR LCG) and have some packs that focus more on the escape from Hoth/asteroids and Luke going to Dagobah. That would provide a bunch of possible stuff for Jedi faction, aka more Yoda and Jedi training stuff.

#19 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

The whole issue of not being able to run Red 5 and Trench Run in the same deck is a bit odd, but I can't help but feel that it's supposed to all come together in the cooperative mode when you can play Rebel while your friend plays Jedi and then you can get Red 5 and Trench run working together.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#20 just Logan

just Logan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

I keep seeing the question about factions being left out because they don't fit. FFG seems to be doing the smae thing as in aGoT and and trying to stick to overall theme as opposed to strict relationships

From the Hoth announcement In addition to the narrative arc that follows the Battle of Hoth, this cycle also features a number of objective sets that expand upon core themes for the Jedi, Sith, Scum and Villainy, and Smugglers & Spies affiliations. Not everyone was as deeply involved in the Hoth confrontation, and we made the important design decision to expand a number of options for the various themes introduced in the Core Set even as we presented an engaging struggle for Hoth. In the weeks ahead, we’ll look more closely at a number of the cards and objective sets that are on their way in The Hoth Cycle.  

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS