Rebel Build - more straight forward

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Theterrainstudio

Theterrainstudio

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

Looking for a solid 4 ship build.  I do love the 3 build powerhouse with named pilots but looking for perhaps a better 4 ship build.

Starting here:

Wedge - R2

Rookie - R2

Rookie - R2

Gold Sq. Pilot - Ion + R2F2

#2 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

I like the 4 ship rebel build myself……I don't care for Y-wing so I;m going with 4 X-wing and just because I hardly ever see him used in a build….Biggs Darklighter:

Biggs Darklighter w/ R2F2

Red Squadron w/R2

Red Squadron w/R2

Red Squadron w/R2

2 elements of 2….Leader with Wingman…..second element covering the first…..keep the formations as tight as possible for as long as possable

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#3 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:39 AM

Wedge will be your main target, so you should consider putting R2F2 on him rather than your GSP to keep him around longer. Otherwise, good luck, and have fun! :)

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#4 Theterrainstudio

Theterrainstudio

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Could this work

Rookie

Rookie

Luke + Determination + R2D2

Dutch + R5K6

I was thinking Luke is going to be hard to kill, Dutch will draw fire (perhaps R2D2 on him instead) but he will be there handing out target locks to nearby pilots.  I was thinking Wedge - this might help lessen firepower towards Dutch, but for the build I thought Luke might work better.  Perhaps the whole build is trash, I am not sure but I love to hear your thoughts.  Yes I know there is no ion cannon, but I think I can make it work without one.

#5 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

How about this for a basic rebel swarm?

4 x Rookiee Pilot (21x4=84 points)
-4x Proton Torpedos (4x4=16 points)

It's exactly 100 points and lets you torp salvo down potentially 2 ties… then it'll probably crash and burn.

#6 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

Theterrainstudio said:

Looking for a solid 4 ship build.  I do love the 3 build powerhouse with named pilots but looking for perhaps a better 4 ship build.

Starting here:

Wedge - R2

Rookie - R2

Rookie - R2

Gold Sq. Pilot - Ion + R2F2

That is lots of droids.  I would prefer losing the droids and urgrading the Gold Squadron Pilot to Dutch.  Dutch + Wedge is a really deadly combination.  Dutch with any other X-wing is still deadly so Dutch can draw some hate away from Wedge.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#7 Alamoth

Alamoth

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:50 AM

I agree that the Dutch/Wedge combo is very strong, much stronger than the ability from the R2 units.

#8 Highball

Highball

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

Eruletho said:

It's exactly 100 points and lets you torp salvo down potentially 2 ties… then it'll probably crash and burn.

This is one of 6 teams I have built to play test over the next two weeks before our Kessel Run on the 15th.  I'm hoping that I will be able to take down 2 TIEs or one Rebel in the opening salvo, with strategic targets (Howlrunner, Wedge, etc).  I have one more League Night on Saturday where I will be able to play one team for 3 rounds, and a buddy is coming over to test a few other matchups on Sunday.

My six teams are 3 Rebel and 3 Imps.  Since this is a Rebel thread, my 3 potential rebel teams are:

X-Wing Swarm:

Rookie Pilot + Proton Torps x 4

Mixed Rebel Swarm:

Rookie Pilot + Proton Torps + R2 x 2

Rookie Pilot + R2

GSP + Ion Cannon + R2F2

Normal Named Assult Team:

Wedge + R2 + Proton Torp + Swarm Tac

Biggs + R2F2 + Proton Torp

Dutch + Proton Torp + Ion

I played around with some 4 ship builds with Wedge, but I found that giving yourself a major target in Wedge and taking away the opening salvo of proton torps typically lowered my win totals.  Given this, I have no idea which of the three would play better, but I'm thinking the simple 4 X-Wing may be the best choice as most games have started out with the first exchange at range 3, where this team is best suited to take advantage of that and hopefully effectively wound my opponent to give an advantage.

#9 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

Highball said:

Eruletho said:

This is one of 6 teams I have built to play test over the next two weeks before our Kessel Run on the 15th.  I'm hoping that I will be able to take down 2 TIEs or one Rebel in the opening salvo, with strategic targets (Howlrunner, Wedge, etc).  I have one more League Night on Saturday where I will be able to play one team for 3 rounds, and a buddy is coming over to test a few other matchups on Sunday.

My six teams are 3 Rebel and 3 Imps.  Since this is a Rebel thread, my 3 potential rebel teams are:

X-Wing Swarm:

Rookie Pilot + Proton Torps x 4

Mixed Rebel Swarm:

Rookie Pilot + Proton Torps + R2 x 2

Rookie Pilot + R2

GSP + Ion Cannon + R2F2

Normal Named Assult Team:

Wedge + R2 + Proton Torp + Swarm Tac

Biggs + R2F2 + Proton Torp

Dutch + Proton Torp + Ion

I played around with some 4 ship builds with Wedge, but I found that giving yourself a major target in Wedge and taking away the opening salvo of proton torps typically lowered my win totals.  Given this, I have no idea which of the three would play better, but I'm thinking the simple 4 X-Wing may be the best choice as most games have started out with the first exchange at range 3, where this team is best suited to take advantage of that and hopefully effectively wound my opponent to give an advantage.

You seem to like all or nothing.  And lots of upgrades.  I recomend that you use some named pilots and some rookie or red squadron pilots.  I don't think upgrades are bad, I don't think named pilots are bad, I don't think rookie pilots are bad.  A good list IMO is about finding the right mix.

I generally discourige people from buying droids, down the board or even proton torpedoes down the board on all your ships.

4 proton torpedoes costs 12 points, that is a Academy Pilot in a TIE.  I tend to think that that TIE is better than 4 Proton Torpedoes.

Also having all rookie pilots means that your opponant will pretty much know where you whole squadron is as he/she chooses his/her actions.  And you will be shooting after your enemies most of the time.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#10 peshk

peshk

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Hello,

since I am new here, I thought I'll try this thread instead of making another "my kessel squad"-thread.

I am thinking of taking either the tie all stars or a rebel build.

I like barrel roll very much, but at heart I am more a rebel.

So I was thinking of:

Wedge with EH and R2 and Dutch with Ion. I even had that idea before I read it here ;)

With those two, I am not able to get a four ship build. So:

Total Squad Points: 99
Pilot: Biggs Darklighter
Upgrades: R2-F2

Pilot: Wedge Antillies
Upgrades: Expert Handling, R2 Astromech, Proton Torpedoes

Pilot: "Dutch" Vander
Upgrades: R5-D8, Ion Cannon Turret, Proton Torpedoes

The only thing I am not really sure about is R5-D8 because it takes an action to activate. The Torps are there because I can't use the points otherwise and maybe I get lucky ^^

But the problem for me is, that I am not very good with the manuevering yet (only had three games and probably won't be able to have another one bevor the event), so Biggs is a challenge. He moves first and has to stay in range one.

Now I am thinking of switching Biggs for Garven+Astromech or Luke without astromech. And maybe one proton torp less…. and than there are many possibilities ^^

Wedge would be more of a target, but manuevering wouldn't be as cruciable. With Garven against a 8TIE-Swarm Wedge could attack with TL and focus and get a focus to defend….

I hope that wasn't to confusing and my english is understandable. If somebody has suggestions, please post ^^

#11 Highball

Highball

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Agreed on all points. 

To be honest, I am a Imperial player most of the time and am trying to branch out to Rebels.  My problem is, as an Imperial player, I smile each time I see a squad of named Rebel pilots as they typically tend to be wins for me as they wasted too many points on special pilots.  Unless that special pilot is giving you something that is built into your strategy, I don't see it doing well.  Therefore, my instinct to go for a generic Rebel build.  But that leaves me open to an Imperial swarm taking away actions.

#12 Theterrainstudio

Theterrainstudio

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Could a balance

Rookie

Rookie

Wedge +R2D2

Dutch + R5K6

#13 MerryVulture

MerryVulture

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Try this, it worked for me.

Dutch, Ion (28)

Luke, Swarm (30)

Rookie 11 (21)

Rookie 12 (21)

100 points on the nose.

Always bounce the target lock to Rookie 11,  and always Swarm him.

It worked all 1 times I tried it! ;)

Rebel: More than most, less than some.

Empire: Ditto

#14 Ixamos

Ixamos

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Theterrainstudio said:

Could a balance

Rookie

Rookie

Wedge +R2D2

Dutch + R5K6

I feel that Y-Wing is kinda naked without Ion Cannon.

I tried this and it wotks pretty well so far …

Wedge - R2D2
Rookie Pilot - R2 Astromech
Rookie Pilot - R2 Astromech
Gold Sq. Pilot - Ion Cannon

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS