• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Panic

Panic

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

yeah,
Looking for my local Kessel Run I found out  there are only 2 stores listed in London (UK)
http://www.esdeviumgames.com/news-and-press/

One Store Leisure Games (London) is way over on the other side of town (1hour trip I used to buy magic cards there.. good store )
update #1 : Leisure Games are not giving away the Prize support… They are keeping the Prizes!

The other store OG Games (London) is a online store?? I've facebooked them about Kessel Run. 
http://www.facebook....d_comment_reply
Update #2 : they have a club night run in a pub… So far there is no actual detail of running Kessel Run at the club.

Looks like If I want wave 2 early I'm playing Kessel Run via eBay?

This deal is getting worse all the time!

Panic…

#2 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Wow! That's still quite a list of participating stores in England! I'm hoping just to find one or two around Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses

#3 Deku_the_Evil_Clown

Deku_the_Evil_Clown

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Actually the problem is with Esdevium, that list is inacurate and is in fact just a list of stores that sells the product. I have spoken to several store owners on the list who just had no idea such an event was even being run.

#4 Theterrainstudio

Theterrainstudio

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Stormtrooper721 said:

Wow! That's still quite a list of participating stores in England! I'm hoping just to find one or two around Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

We are having an event in Saskatoon on the 28th of Dec.  if interested.  Contact me.

#5 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

I hope that FFG calls every store and verifies that it will be ran, and tries to attend random tournements. I think this would be a great show of support for Xwings, and also get the stores that FFG selected that didnt follow through with what they have been given, black-listed from events that limited numbers were allowed to participate in.

#6 Panic

Panic

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

So,
The guys at OGgames FaceBook don't seem to know about kessel Run and think it is probabily being held at their 'club'!

It turns out that OGgames Club is held at a pub in Wansworth. On Monday and Thursday nights.  and costs £2 to play.
It looks like a cool club they have a stock of their own games bought by the members entry fees…

Their are lots of issues with this?
1st - under 18s will most likely not be able to play as it's in a Youngs pub - youngs are a chain of old style / old mans ale serving public houses.
2nd - I thought Kessel Run events were free? This club is £2 entry… I guessing to cover the private room hire.
3rd - Kessel Run says it will happen at the week ends? This club meets on Mondays and Thursdays??
4th - This is a club that it seems is run by the stores customers for the customers -
                    I have a 'club' of friends who have a stock of our own games… wheres my kessel run pack! 

I'm starting to think that either their supplier just signed them up / or the club applied to get hold of the expansions early (can't blame them!)

But it seems That this is not the publically available Kessel Run event as promised by FFG!

Panic…

#7 Panic

Panic

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

yeah,

So I checked out the details of Kessel Run at Leisure Games (the only other store in London doing the Event)
they have this quote on their websites event calendar:

"The FFG web site states that the ships used in this event will be given as prizes, however we want to give more people a chance to see and play with these fantastic miniatures so we will be using them for other events."

So they are not giving away the Prize support as prizes!?
So I've got NO chance of Winning a wave two ship here in London…

FFG! need to sort themselves out… it's just one disappointment after another.

Panic…

#8 pitsch

pitsch

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:57 AM

I would not blame FFG on this one. They want to get a few of the ships to fans. They set this up do that can happen. This is the only way I see, besides them setting up events, that they can do this. They can't check every game shop that says they will hold the event. That would take to long. Ultimately it's up to the game shop I they will just keep the ships. 

Wave 4 Pre-Order Sale!! Now till April 1st!

http://www.spinninginspace.com/

Anyone in Virginia, DC, MD:

https://www.facebook...vaXWingSquadron

#9 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:59 AM

pitsch said:

I would not blame FFG on this one. They want to get a few of the ships to fans. They set this up do that can happen. This is the only way I see, besides them setting up events, that they can do this. They can't check every game shop that says they will hold the event. That would take to long. Ultimately it's up to the game shop I they will just keep the ships. 

No, but they can check every event via contacting. I just hope they get blacklisted when something else happens that is rather awesome.

#10 sverigesson

sverigesson

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:17 AM

The Leisure Games thing is outrageous. You don't get the luxury of getting prize support from FFG for this tournament only to choose to pocket them for your store. I'm pretty sure doing so is tantamount to fraud, considering the whole point of this tournament is to get these ships into fans' hands sooner than February. I have sent out some PMs and emails to figure out if there is any way to report a retailer who is fraudulently running a tournament, as I will be doing so in this case.

#11 Jimula

Jimula

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:22 AM

Isn't it fraud - albeit a petty one - to get a load of free stuff from FFG and then just keep it?

#12 Panic

Panic

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

yeah,
I think it sucks big time!!

pitsch said:

I would not blame FFG on this one. They want to get a few of the ships to fans. They set this up do that can happen…
They've done a great job, they sent 2 Kessel Run Packs to London.

1st pack has been sent to a private gamers club
2nd is being kept by a gready Store Owner - 'for future events'

pitsch said:

This is the only way I see, besides them setting up events, that they can do this….
I can think of a few better ways. Hows about;
*Answers on a postcard quiz?
*An online raffle 
*Join the mailing list for all the news about wave two and be in with a chance to win!
*Like us on FaceBook for a chance to win 1 of 50 Millenium Falcons expansion packs?
*And/or follow us on twitter FFG@X-WingBoardGamer for a chance to win 1 of 50 Slave1 expansion packs?

Golden tickets hidden in chocolate bars would be better than what the've done so far…

Panic…

#13 Deku_the_Evil_Clown

Deku_the_Evil_Clown

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

Like I said earlier, the Esdevium list is incorrect. That first retailer almost certainly did not get a Kessel Run pack, which you have to purchase via Esdevium btw and it not sent out to retailers for free. The game club would not be able to get a Kessel Run pack, the shop would need to directly buy it from Esdevium, and if they're saying they don't know anything about it then they are not getting one.

For example Mana Leak is also listed on the Esdevium list, however the owner of the store, Tu N'gyuen, knew nothing about this event or its availability and is not holding one. If you also check out the map below the list it has every single retailer of X-wing in the UK on it.

The second store is a different matter. I am pretty sure that is just straight-up wrong but we'd need to get official word from FFG on this one. Remember the store does actually need to buy the Kessel Run pack, so maybe they have some discretion in it's use, although I doubt it.

#14 Joshuar56

Joshuar56

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Pretty sure the same thing is going on here in Missouri. A shop called Thompson Productions L.L.C. -Warrensburg, MO   in the middle of now where is hosting an event. They have no website even. It's also great that they gaves Kansas City area 3 events, but my area 0, I have to drive at least 100 miles.

#15 sverigesson

sverigesson

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

Here's my answer from Esdevium Games:

Hey Cody,

Thank you for informing us, nothing underhand is happening here. As the Kessel run and indeed the X-wing game are proving to be very popular, some stores want to run more than one event, though due to availability obtaining multiple kits for stores is not practical. Leisure Games is intending on running 2 events in 2 locations, the later one they will be making the ships available as prizes.

Kind Regards

Oliver McAllister
Telesales Manager
Esdevium Games Ltd.

So apparently this store is okay since they will still be giving them away… but that begs the question… What's the point of playing in the first tournament? And if I were a winner of the second event, I might be a little concerned with how many people they were allowing to manhandle my Falcon or Slave I. Still, at least there isn't any out and out fraud here.

#16 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:59 AM

sverigesson said:

Here's my answer from Esdevium Games:

Hey Cody,

Thank you for informing us, nothing underhand is happening here. As the Kessel run and indeed the X-wing game are proving to be very popular, some stores want to run more than one event, though due to availability obtaining multiple kits for stores is not practical. Leisure Games is intending on running 2 events in 2 locations, the later one they will be making the ships available as prizes.

Kind Regards

Oliver McAllister
Telesales Manager
Esdevium Games Ltd.

So apparently this store is okay since they will still be giving them away… but that begs the question… What's the point of playing in the first tournament? And if I were a winner of the second event, I might be a little concerned with how many people they were allowing to manhandle my Falcon or Slave I. Still, at least there isn't any out and out fraud here.

Still uncool if you ask me (against the spirit and probably the letter of what they had to agree to to get an event).   I am going to write FFG about this, too. I encourage anyone who is running into this sort of problem to contact FFG ASAP. 

4 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  2 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  2 HWK-290

8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 2 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle

#17 dandirk

dandirk

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

Its one thing if they had a "preview" event, then on the kessel run weekend they had the official tourney… but 2 "kessel run" events where only 1 will get you prizes is pretty lame.

#18 Leisure Games

Leisure Games

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:01 AM

Just to correct some points which have been made.

Leisure Games has not entered into any agreement with FFG regarding the Kessel Run kits, so we are not proposing to break any agreement, and so 'fraud' is an extremely strong word to use, and I do not like it being associated with Leisure Games. Please do not use it unless someone points out how this is fraudulent.

We, the same as all other retailers, are paying for the single kit that we are allowed to buy. They are not free promotional items.

Our intention has never been to keep  for ourselves these miniatures which we are buying.

What we do intend to do is to get more people playing the game and previewing the new ships. We thought, and still do think, that the main objective of this event should be to get more people enjoying the game rather than focussing on getting free stuff.

Also to correct a slight misunderstanding, what we said is that we plan to award the miniatures after the second event. Maybe we did not make it clear enough that the winner of each event would receive a prize.

Somebody suggested that we are doing this to make more money. The miniatures will not be available to buy at the time of the tournaments, so we will not be making any money that way. We are not charging any entry fee, so we will not be making any money that way. We will be providing the kits, the venue (with lighting and heating) and the staff to oversee the events. We do of course hope that it will strengthen the local gaming community, and the awareness of this game, which hopefully in the long run will make us some return on this. We are, after all, a business trying to survive and pay our staff's wages.

If Fantasy Flight don't like this plan I am sure they will contact me and we can discuss it.

#19 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

Leisure Games said:

Just to correct some points which have been made.

Leisure Games has not entered into any agreement with FFG regarding the Kessel Run kits, so we are not proposing to break any agreement, and so 'fraud' is an extremely strong word to use, and I do not like it being associated with Leisure Games. Please do not use it unless someone points out how this is fraudulent.

We, the same as all other retailers, are paying for the single kit that we are allowed to buy. They are not free promotional items.

Our intention has never been to keep  for ourselves these miniatures which we are buying.

What we do intend to do is to get more people playing the game and previewing the new ships. We thought, and still do think, that the main objective of this event should be to get more people enjoying the game rather than focussing on getting free stuff.

Also to correct a slight misunderstanding, what we said is that we plan to award the miniatures after the second event. Maybe we did not make it clear enough that the winner of each event would receive a prize.

Somebody suggested that we are doing this to make more money. The miniatures will not be available to buy at the time of the tournaments, so we will not be making any money that way. We are not charging any entry fee, so we will not be making any money that way. We will be providing the kits, the venue (with lighting and heating) and the staff to oversee the events. We do of course hope that it will strengthen the local gaming community, and the awareness of this game, which hopefully in the long run will make us some return on this. We are, after all, a business trying to survive and pay our staff's wages.

If Fantasy Flight don't like this plan I am sure they will contact me and we can discuss it.

Whatever your intentions are to 'grow the community', you've already annoyed at least one player by not participating in the prescribed manner.  So, I fail to see how diverting from the advertised event's format is in any way beneficial.  Expectations have been formed by FFG, and by diverging from that, you are doing more damage than good.  I would personally advise that you stick to the program.  

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#20 Leviatham

Leviatham

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Panic said:

yeah,
Looking for my local Kessel Run I found out  there are only 2 stores listed in London (UK)
http://www.esdeviumgames.com/news-and-press/

One Store Leisure Games (London) is way over on the other side of town (1hour trip I used to buy magic cards there.. good store )
update #1 : Leisure Games are not giving away the Prize support… They are keeping the Prizes!

That is total and utter bullsh*t.

I know the guys who run the shop VERY well and they're not the type to do that.

You realy should get your facts right before spreading rubbish about honest people!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS