Testing for GenCon 2013

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cynr

Cynr

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

For all the support that FFG has put into GenCon each year and the great people that work for them, there has been little fan supported games available. Thanks for the people that have run there own games (I just never seem find an open one.:-(

I am working on a plan to run a Deathwatch game (to me, the best system for a short story event) and I am interested in feedback… and we all know everyone here is good at that, so here is my proposal:

I am thinking to run 3 games of 5 man squads at 6 hours length (Wed night, Sun morning and one game some prime time night is my plan) each with a $10 a person plan.  Reasoning: I will be providing everything from pre-gen characters, levelled up and complete with matching, painted miniatures (each miniature has the Deathwatch "I" and a chapter shoulder equipped with all sorts of things (look at all the bitz on forge world and I think I have it covered)… Oh, and with the new Legion of the Damned rules, I have those ready too in case you get dead before the 6 hour mark. I have painted miniatures representing all the First Founding and probably 50% of the Successors that have been mentioned in the books (Yes, Ross I have a Storm Warden with Chapter shoulder and claymore strapped to his back). The "opponents" will be painted, and diverse. There will be Chessex battlemats, etc.  6 hours should be a good amount of time to play hardcore at various objects and still leave people (including myself) time to enjoy other parts of GenCon.  The adventure will be home-made and complete with handouts and images (thanks to a huge collection of "clip art" on my tablet from the artists who bring Warhammer 40k to visual life). Oh… and I figured I would pay $10 to finally get to play in the game if I could find an open one.

Okay, I am not a published author but if anyone can remember the early Dark Reign days, the Codex Astartes work was done for fun as a conversion piece, and showed my anal-retentive attention to detail, until Deathwatch became reality.  My plan for a story, without giving it away, is the Deathwatch are called in to cause havoc on an alien-occupied planet. At this point I have a rough planetary map and a dozen or so objectives each with it own goals, from assassination to mass destruction… get dropped in, cause as much grief to the enemy and survive a couple of months until you get picked up. This way means that the players can choose what types of missions they want to take depending on what characters they pick for themselves (although I have a Deathwatch Dreadnought and a dozen or so Terminators, you only get the standard power armour troops… although I am picking out scouts to paint).

This is just my plan and I figured better to start really early and get ideas while I am thinking about it.

-Cynr

#2 computertrucker

computertrucker

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

Battlebrother Oricius of the Ultramarines would love to participate!

If I go to Gencon 2013 I would love to get a chance to play so sign me up as your first potential player! 2012 was my first go at Gencon, I was found over at the Warmachine Area which is where I will probably spend most my time this coming year as well if I make it. However I really would LOVE to play a game of Deathwatch there if I make it this year. If the slot is open… You have yourself a Devastator Marine!

#3 Cynr

Cynr

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:54 AM

The games will be registered through GenCon, so sign up as usual.  I am going to stick with 5 players (Space Marine demi-squad number) so people with generic tix will be appreciated if someone signed-up doesn't show up.

-Cynr

@computertrucker: Funny, I just finished a Ultramarines Devastator with a lascannon, complete with U shoulder and U & skull backpack banner. :-)

#4 jareddm

jareddm

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

I plan to sign up for all three sessions in a heartbeat.  Mainly because in my experience with gencon, all three will be full before I even get that heartbeat.  And the odds of a no-show are slim to none.

#5 computertrucker

computertrucker

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

Cynr said:

@computertrucker: Funny, I just finished a Ultramarines Devastator with a lascannon, complete with U shoulder and U & skull backpack banner. :-)

LOL Nice! I will definately attempt to get in on this, IF  I end up going this year… Still a bit to soon to tell.

#6 Tacitus05

Tacitus05

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

Oh yes, two years of gencon so far and no real play of 40K Rp!. I can definitly show up and bring at least one, if not more, friends. Count me in!

#7 Tacitus05

Tacitus05

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Anyone want to do a meet up at gencon like weds night?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS