"Masterwork" Ideas

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Akora

Akora

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Hello all. The game books state that GM's have a lot of discretion when deciding which bonuses to grant to "Masterwork" weapons. I think this is a really cool aspect of the game system that lets GM's get really creative instead of handing out +2 Longswords or whatever. That being said, have any of you designed cool weapons and/or items for your PCs? Here are a few I have in store for my party:

Masterwork Broadsword: This weapon is precision balanced and its weight distributed magnificently. Drawing it counts as a free action

Masterwork Greatsword: This weapon was specially designed to deliver savage thrusts in addition to sweeping strikes. It's ricasso is broad and reinforced while its debole is tapered and exceptionally strong, granting the weapon 1 Pierce

Masterwork Halberd: This weapon's length and balance grant it exceptional defensive characteristics. When used with the "Parry" active defense, the weapon grants an extra black die

Masterwork Battle Axe: This Dwarf-forged weapon is covered in runes and other symbols of Power. When wielded against Greenskins or Servants of Chaos, this weapon inflicts 1 stress to any foe that engages with its wielder.

Masterwork Dagger: This weapon is doubly suited as a hand or thrown weapon. When used as a throwing dagger, grant the wielder 1 White Die.

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

Masterwork Broadsword: This weapon is precision balanced and its weight distributed magnificently. Drawing it counts as a free action

It should already pretty much be a maneuver-less action to draw a scabbarded' weapon.  I'd make it do something else, like grant 1 white die for combat due to it's balance and weight distribution.  Add some fluff qualifier in the front like:  "Bretonnian Knight's Broadsword"

Masterwork Greatsword: This weapon was specially designed to deliver savage thrusts in addition to sweeping strikes. It's ricasso is broad and reinforced while its debole is tapered and exceptionally strong, granting the weapon 1 Pierce

This is right on track.  Again, give it an origin like Kislev or something.

Masterwork Halberd: This weapon's length and balance grant it exceptional defensive characteristics. When used with the "Parry" active defense, the weapon grants an extra black die.

* Add some history such as, "Has markings and an old flag probably very similar to those used at Mordheim before it's destruction."

Masterwork Battle Axe: This Dwarf-forged weapon is covered in runes and other symbols of Power. When wielded against Greenskins or Servants of Chaos, this weapon inflicts 1 stress to any foe that engages with its wielder.

*  Again, good, however since non-PCs don't suffer stress or fatigue (suffer wounds instead), you may wish to give it some other kind of ability..maybe grant a condition (see my sig for house rules which summarize all conditions and some new ones) on a critical or something.  Give it a history of which Karak it was created at by saying "that's the rune of Karak Izor" or something.

Masterwork Dagger: This weapon is doubly suited as a hand or thrown weapon. When used as a throwing dagger, grant the wielder 1 White Die. 

*  Put a qualifier in front such as, "Acrobats dagger" or something that goes beyond the word "Masterwork."

In my games, I usually look in the back of the Warhammer Fantasy Battles kingdom books and create stuff from there.  I can't tell you how many Beastman "magical/masterwork" items have been left behind by our party because they look dirty HEH!  >:)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS