Combat Bonuses and Secondary Weapons

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sodapopj

Sodapopj

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

I checked the forums and I didn't see this question asked.

Do targeted ships get the plus one defense dice when they are targetted at range three by a secondary weapon?

I checked the rules and this is what they say:

Page 10 last sentence on the page " Ranged Combat bonuses only occur when a ship is attacking with its primary weapon"

Page 10 Range Combat bonuses are defined as "Depending on the range between the ships, the attacker or defender may roll additional dice during this attack (see “Roll Attack Dice” and “Roll Defense Dice”on pages 11–12). Defending dice are classified as a 'Ranged combat bonus'.

Page 12 "The defender resolves any card abilitiesthat allow him to roll additional (or fewer) dice. Also, if he is targeted at Range 3 by
the attacker’s primary weapon, he rolls 1 additional defense die." Again the rules only talk about Primary Weaons.

I did not see anything in the Secondary Weapons section that contradicts this.

Thematically I can see the additional defense dice, because the defender would have more time to react to the weapon.

I can also see how they would not get the extra dice, because the primary weapons are fixed weapons mounted on the ship itself and not as manueverable as a missle with a guidance system.

I would like to know the answer, because if you don't get the extra defence dice it makes proton torpedoes way more powerful than we have been playing, and thus much more worth taking.

#2 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Sodapopj said:

I checked the forums and I didn't see this question asked.

Do targeted ships get the plus one defense dice when they are targetted at range three by a secondary weapon?

I checked the rules and this is what they say:

Page 10 last sentence on the page " Ranged Combat bonuses only occur when a ship is attacking with its primary weapon"

Page 10 Range Combat bonuses are defined as "Depending on the range between the ships, the attacker or defender may roll additional dice during this attack (see “Roll Attack Dice” and “Roll Defense Dice”on pages 11–12). Defending dice are classified as a 'Ranged combat bonus'.

Page 12 "The defender resolves any card abilitiesthat allow him to roll additional (or fewer) dice. Also, if he is targeted at Range 3 by
the attacker’s primary weapon, he rolls 1 additional defense die." Again the rules only talk about Primary Weaons.

I did not see anything in the Secondary Weapons section that contradicts this.

You didn't see anything in the Secondary Weapons section that contradicts it because it's already spelled out for you in the text you quoted: "Ranged Combat bonuses only occur when a ship is attacking with its primary weapon."

You also quoted the section where the extra Defense die is classified as a Ranged Combat bonus.

So, no, they don't get the extra defense die.

#3 Theterrainstudio

Theterrainstudio

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

So do you get a bonus for short range (range 1)

TO clarify, your saying a ship that shoots its Proton Torpedoes at a ship at range 3 does not get an extra defence dice?  Do you or do you not get the bonus for secondary weapons (say ion cannon) at short range?

#4 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

The attacker does NOT get an extra die when shooting at a ship at range 1 with a secondary weapon.

The defender does NOT get an extra die when being shot at with a secondary weapon at range 3.

#5 derroehre

derroehre

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

just to clarify, (friends are part of a rules lawyering elite group) :

- So secondary weapon is "any weapon that is not the number directly printed on the card/base of the ship"? (like ion cannon or other turrets)

-And secondary weapons cannot be modified by normal ranged modifiers but CAN be modified by any other rule (like Mauler Mithel or Wedge  for example)?

#6 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:35 AM

derroehre said:

- So secondary weapon is "any weapon that is not the number directly printed on the card/base of the ship"? (like ion cannon or other turrets)

-And secondary weapons cannot be modified by normal ranged modifiers but CAN be modified by any other rule (like Mauler Mithel or Wedge  for example)?

Sounds like your friends are only wanna be rules lawyers as this isn't a particularly ambiguous part of the rules. Your summary is correct.

#7 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

derroehre said:

Exceptions to your second point, like Howlrunner's ability, are specifically called out.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS