Backstabber question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

So Wedge shot at Backstabber at range 2, then backstabbr fired back at wedge, however his closest corner was outside of Wedges firing arc. Does he roll 2 dice or 3? This was a situation that happened in a game lastnight. Half of backstabber was within firing arc, the closer corner however was not. 

As to not manipulate the answers of others I will lay my reasoning and my answer quiet for now :) The rebal player yeilded and the imperial player ended up whiffing, however it was of great debate and flipping through the rule book and FAQs

(tried to post in rules questions but it wouldnt work)

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#2 Zoso

Zoso

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

I would say he gets his normal 2 dice. Inside the firing arc is inside the firing arc, and if Wedge can shoot at him, then he obviously is inside the arc. The closest corner thing is only for determining range, IMO.

#3 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

Backstabber needs to be outside of the target's firing arc for his ability to come into play.  That is measured from the defender, in this case, Wedge.  If Wedge was able to target Backstabber, the Backstabber was inside of Wedge's firing arc and the ability does not trigger.  What I'm not sure about is how it will interact with ships with a turret primary weapon (the YT-1300's)…

#4 Milambus

Milambus

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

The YT-1300 still has a firing arc.  Backstabber's ability doesn't use the firing arc of the main weapon, but the firing arc of the ship.  Firing Arc is defined on Page 10 of the manual as the wedge shape at the front of the ship token.

So as long as Backstabber avoids the firing arc defined by the YT-1300's ship token then it will get a bonus attack die.

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

Milambus said:

The YT-1300 still has a firing arc.  Backstabber's ability doesn't use the firing arc of the main weapon, but the firing arc of the ship.  Firing Arc is defined on Page 10 of the manual as the wedge shape at the front of the ship token.

So as long as Backstabber avoids the firing arc defined by the YT-1300's ship token then it will get a bonus attack die.

That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure if the rules insert that comes with the YT-1300 said anything that would change that…

#6 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

If Wedge could shoot at Backstabber, Backstabber is inside Wedge's firing arc. The rulebook explains the situation on page 10 (emphasis in the rulebook):

"An enemy ship is inside the active ship’s firing arc if any part of the enemy ship’s base falls inside the angle defined by the wedge shape (see “Firing Arc and Range Example” on page 11)."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS