• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 philosophant

philosophant

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

So,

I am going to start playing and am buying the core set among a few other things. But lately I have been reading about the system losing support and a new edition coming out. I don't mind buy the system and it losing support, there is enough stuff out to be able to enjoy it, but what Ihi am worried about is a news system coming out that is better or that everything that I am buying now will be cheaper in the future.

Is this a valid concern?

#2 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

philosophant said:

So,

I am going to start playing and am buying the core set among a few other things. But lately I have been reading about the system losing support and a new edition coming out. I don't mind buy the system and it losing support, there is enough stuff out to be able to enjoy it, but what Ihi am worried about is a news system coming out that is better or that everything that I am buying now will be cheaper in the future.

Is this a valid concern?

I don't think you have to worry for a new edition apearing soon.

What it can happen is that indeed it will be cheaper in the near future. There are also people getting rid of their stuff, if you don't mind second hand things, you can look there.

Cheers,

Yepes

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#3 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

As Yepesnopes said, browse online, buy it cheap (used or on sale, like the current sale by FFG), and you'll have a great roleplaying game with a lot of content to play it, plenty enough for several years of gaming, and more if you are willing to convert 1st and 2nd edition adventures to 3rd (which isnt hard).

Have fun,

Cheers

Ceodryn

#4 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

And Adventure wise you will have 8 full Adventures from the boxes, plus the two demo ones.

And when The enemy within 2.0 is out you will have atleast one year of adventuring stuff alone from the TEW Box.

And on top the fanmade adventures for the 3rd Edition.

All in all with my 3 hour session every two weeks 2013 and 2014 is locked for Warhammer 3rd Edition.

#5 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

As someone who has bought all the stuff etc., even if they stop supporting it today I would not regret the purchase and would keep playing.

In part because it's great system and in part because of great fan support, with all the earlier edition stuff to get, free fan scenarios etc. to assist.

I'm also not sure all the doom and glooming is warranted and won't really buy into it unless Q1 of next year passes without another product announced.

#6 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

Maybe fantasy flight will come onto their forums and announce what the future of this game is. That might help quell some rumors. They usually put out an official product announcemnt-situation if nothing else.

#7 Captain Fluffy

Captain Fluffy

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

It can get fairly depressing on this forum but don't let it get you down. I am fairly confident in the future of this game but the doomsayers even get me doubting it sometimes.

However the game as it stands is fully functioning and complete and it is very unlikely that a new system would be out in the next 2 or 3 years.  If you buy the stuff you need via the FFG sale then it is very unlikely you will find it cheaper in the near future. Unless you live outside the US then the shipping will cost you.

There is enough stuff out already to keep you running for years and it is a very easy system to create adventures and NPC's for (in fact it's so easy you can convert adventures written for previous editions on the fly with a bit of experience).

Give me more fluff and less rules

Hear me on the Tabletop Chronicles Podcast
https://itunes.apple...ast/id670638100

#8 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

We still play every other week (or thereabouts).

#9 aaronz

aaronz

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Captain Fluffy said:

It can get fairly depressing on this forum but don't let it get you down. I am fairly confident in the future of this game but the doomsayers even get me doubting it sometimes.

However the game as it stands is fully functioning and complete and it is very unlikely that a new system would be out in the next 2 or 3 years.  If you buy the stuff you need via the FFG sale then it is very unlikely you will find it cheaper in the near future. Unless you live outside the US then the shipping will cost you.

There is enough stuff out already to keep you running for years and it is a very easy system to create adventures and NPC's for (in fact it's so easy you can convert adventures written for previous editions on the fly with a bit of experience).

As someone coming back to the game after only playing with the core set a few years ago (gaming group fell apart, but I'm puttting together a new one), I have to say this is spot on. There's a ton of content. The Warhammer world is vast, so FFG could certainly support the game with expansions and supplements for a long time. But as far as "support" goes, it seems to me like the game is already in good shape. It's always fun to get new shinies (and if you're just starting out, there are PLENTY of goodies to collect), but what's available now is good for years of fun. The piecemeal releases have made the game fairly expensive, so that's certainly something to keep in mind.

Buying into a "dead" system is a depressing idea, though—I understand that and feel some reservation here myself. But I don't think Third Edition is dead, and I don't think there are even any "rumors" of a new edition. Just people worrying about Third. Second Edition is still widely played as far as I understand it, and the sourcebooks are fantastic and quite applicable to Third. It's apparently very easy to convert the adventures from previous editions, and fan-made scenerios are plentiful. 

I'm probably trying to convice myself here, too—I love the system and I want to see even more stuff come out—but even if its production is winding down (it may well be), there's a ton of great content out already. Buy the core set if you've already decided on giving it a shot, and if your group enjoys it, you can fill out your collection from there. It's great to have a vibrant community surrounding your favorite game, but in the end what matters most is that you find a system that works for your group. If you're having fun, it doesn't really matter what the rest of the world is doing.

#10 Johann Rowlocks

Johann Rowlocks

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

I played WFRP 1E for years when there was no support, the Magic system was broken and wonderfully inconsistent with board game - had loads of fun. We actually have tons of material and I see the Strike to Stun 3E pages becoming more active in the future. A good game is a good game, and the fun is the creating and telling of stories (or if like me you have little time and like to pre-written "interpret" scenarios). 

#11 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

Johann Rowlocks said:

I played WFRP 1E for years when there was no support, the Magic system was broken and wonderfully inconsistent with board game

At the time the game was initially published it was actually totally consistent with the wargame. 3rd edition warhammer (from  86, the same time as WFRP) used a magic point system, with magic not be terribly risky (summoning daemons aside, as if I remember you had to fight for control with them), much the same as WFRP 1st (some of the spells were even identical, though the tabletop had spells that made no sense in the realm of the RPG and visa versa).

I have to say, I don't see why games suddenly become cheaper when they go out of print. I understand it is because lots of people dump what they have with the game being cancelled, but why do they do that? Nothing is stopping them from continuing to use what they have, and if they wait longer they will get more for it as it becomes scarce as people try to get it second hand.

#12 Count Zero

Count Zero

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

borithan said:

Johann Rowlocks said:

I have to say, I don't see why games suddenly become cheaper when they go out of print. I understand it is because lots of people dump what they have with the game being cancelled, but why do they do that? Nothing is stopping them from continuing to use what they have, and if they wait longer they will get more for it as it becomes scarce as people try to get it second hand.

Most folks usually sell their gaming books to buy more books. I'm kicking myself over some of the things I've sold, but at the time I had no interest in them., Gamers all have a little ADD when it comes to games and we tend to jump onto the new shiny and forget how good the old stuff really was. That said, I have every single Warhammer rpg product ever made for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. It's the one setting I knew I'd always come back to. I played back in 86 and still do today. Over the past 2 years I've run every edition and they each provided a slighlty different vibe. A good game is a good game and inspiration is priceless, so buy up those books!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS