FLGS Demonstration Lists

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alamoth

Alamoth

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:31 AM

I am planning on giving demos of the game to prospective players at my FLGS. Instead of using the quick-start lists from the core set, I wanted to build squads from the core set plus one of each of the expansions, to give players a bit of an idea of what comes in every package currently available. To that end, I came up with the following (possibly lopsided) lists:

Rebel Squad:

• Luke Skywalker with R2-D2 & Proton Torpedoes
  • Wedge Antilles with R2 Astromech & Marksmanship
  • Horton Salm with R5 Astromech & Ion Cannon

Imperial Squad:

• Darth Vader with Swarm Tactics & Cluster Missiles
  • "Howlrunner" with Squad Leader
  • "Mauler Mithel" with Marksmanship
  • "Backstabber"

If you just did the math in your head then you know that the Rebel Squad comes out to 100 points while the Empire could only muster 91 points. I'm not sure if there's a good way to get to 100 points with only one TIE Advanced and three TIE Fighters, but I'm open to suggestions and any input you may have. The goal isn't to create tournament competitive lists, but to create two lists that can compete with each other and provide a breadth of options covering the core set and current expansions.

I may need to consider scaling back the Rebel Squad a bit which could easily be done by dropping Marksmanship from Wedge and dropping the R5 droid from Horton Salm. I didn't really consider taking the non-named pilots because honestly this is a demo and I want players to feel the flavor of the Star Wars universe and not just control some generic fighter ships.

#2 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

Do you only own 3 TIEs?  If the goal is to showcase the game, then the 12 point academy pilot is a big part of the way the Imperials play.  You only need to cut 3 points off your list to add an academy pilot.

In general I thinik both lists are over upgraded.  Marksmanship particulalry seems to be a waste of points.  For 3 points it is only slightly better than focus on attack which every one can already do, it is also useless on defense.  If Marksmanship was free I would still use focus more becsue it can help on attack or defense.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#3 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

Agree. I never use marksmanship 

#4 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

Would something like the following work for you? Both are 80-point lists.

• Luke + R2-D2 + Swarm Tactics
  • Rookie Pilot + R2 Astromech
  • Gold Squadron + R5 Astromech + Ion Cannon

versus

• Vader + Marksmanship + Cluster Missiles
  • Howlrunner
  • Obsidian Squadron (x2)

I think the Rebels may have an advantage, but the lists are a bit smaller, and definitely simpler to run as long as your Imperial player can remember to use Howlrunner's ability. It also shows off how secondary weapons work (with one on each side), plus it features the canonical heavy hitters.

EDIT: Marksmanship is in there because it works nicely with Cluster Missiles, and because Vader might be the best user of it--since he can do so without sacrificing the tactical flexibility most ships get from Focus.

#5 Alamoth

Alamoth

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

I was only planning on using three TIE Fighters, and one TIE Advanced, which I believe means that I'm capped at 91 points. Dropping down to 80 points and using the lists suggested by Vorpal Sword might be a better plan.

#6 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

I have the same dilemma: only 3 TIEs. I've maxed it out to 92 by equipping both Mithel and Howlrunner with Marksmanship, but it's not tactically sound.

I like Vorpal Sword's setup, but I'd replace Luke with Wedge, and trade his upgrades out for a Proton Torpedoes. It's 79 points (I think?), but I just feel that if you're introducing people to the game it's better to leave R2-D2 out of it. He should be reserved for more experienced Imperials to fight. I know Luke + R2-D2 is very iconic, but pitting him with two other Rebels against only 4 Imperials is going to be REALLY hard on the Empire. Just my experience.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#7 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Parakitor said:

I have the same dilemma: only 3 TIEs. I've maxed it out to 92 by equipping both Mithel and Howlrunner with Marksmanship, but it's not tactically sound.

I like Vorpal Sword's setup, but I'd replace Luke with Wedge, and trade his upgrades out for a Proton Torpedoes. It's 79 points (I think?), but I just feel that if you're introducing people to the game it's better to leave R2-D2 out of it. He should be reserved for more experienced Imperials to fight. I know Luke + R2-D2 is very iconic, but pitting him with two other Rebels against only 4 Imperials is going to be REALLY hard on the Empire. Just my experience.

I think I agree with this. If Luke stays in, he's probably better off trading R2-D2 for a generic R2, and swapping Swarm Tactics for a torpedo.

#8 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

My simple starter setup uses only the core set ships plus a TIE Advanced and Y-Wing and is only 45 points a side. 21 point TIE Advanced + 2 of the 12 point TIE for the Imps vs the 21 point X-Wing and 18 point Y-Wing (with R2 Astromech + Ion Cannon) for the Rebels. Uses all 4 ship types, is fast to play a game with, and pretty simple since it leaves out the extra abilities of the named pilots plus most of the extra ability, droid, and weapon upgrades.

#9 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

I retract my statement about marksmanship.  I use it with skywalker. His ability gives him a defense boost everytime he is shot at. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS