Distribution

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
107 replies to this topic

#1 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Do you get enough copies of each card in the starter box?

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

signoftheserpent said:

Do you get enough copies of each card in the starter box?

This document shows you how many of each card you get. Anywhere from 1 - 3 copies per card.

http://www.fantasyfl...1-card-list.pdf

#3 Talamare

Talamare

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

Short answer is Yes

Long answer is You get the same # of cards for each Runner (33 per Runner) and the same # of cards for each Corp (28 per corp), which is not enough to make a deck

HOWEVER, they also include a certain amount of neutral cards that allow you to have essentially 1 completed Runner deck and 1 completed Corp deck

This basically means if you want to switch Runner/Corp you need to remove all the neutral cards from the deck you were playing in, and added it to the new one

#4 TheRealLeo

TheRealLeo

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

Talamare said:

Short answer is Yes

Long answer is You get the same # of cards for each Runner (33 per Runner) and the same # of cards for each Corp (28 per corp), which is not enough to make a deck

HOWEVER, they also include a certain amount of neutral cards that allow you to have essentially 1 completed Runner deck and 1 completed Corp deck

This basically means if you want to switch Runner/Corp you need to remove all the neutral cards from the deck you were playing in, and added it to the new one

I believe he was referring to the topic that shall remain unspoken, but thumbs up on the effort to deflect away from that.

#5 Scally09

Scally09

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

TheRealLeo said:

I believe he was referring to the topic that shall remain unspoken, but thumbs up on the effort to deflect away from that.

There's a topic that shall remain unspoken?? Does it have anything to do with only getting 1 of certain cards in a core set? 

#6 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:59 AM

You have enough to customise your deck.  I've generally found though that if you're looking to play competitively with other players, it's worth your while to pick up one additional Core set.  With two core sets, you'll have 2 of the 'rarest' cards (You probably won't need 3 of any of those), and enough neutral cards and repeated cards to make two different decks per side (Runner/Corp) which will let you try out new strategies and deck builds without disassembling your primary deck.

#7 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:25 AM

Note, that buying two core sets is important for competetive nature for now, as more data packs are released, this will become less relevant.

#8 profligate

profligate

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

I have three core sets.  I wouldn't be happy with my ability to build multiple decks otherwise.  I also wouldn't be happy to build even a single deck without two core sets.  I don't think this should be a "hidden" thought.  People are going to do what they want, and the business is going to do what it needs to profit.  Feedback both ways is a *good* thing.

#9 Malgamus

Malgamus

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

I have 2 core sets for now but will have 3 by the end of December. Right now I can have 2 Runner and 2 Corp decks built at a time. 2 of them being the Shaper and Jinteki decks I use to run demos. Having a 3rd set will give me enough cards to have two constructed decks built for each side and keep the demo decks around as needed.

#10 ODie

ODie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

One starter isn't enough, based on the list linked above. We got two each to build from, and figured that should it come to a tournament scene then we would be able to get a third card from the other's sets if it was needed. Two should - in general - be sufficient, but sometimes you'll find that the one-ofs (generally unique cards anyway) you'd want a second copy of, to improve the chance of drawing into a copy.

#11 Messenger

Messenger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

vermillian said:

Note, that buying two core sets is important for competetive nature for now, as more data packs are released, this will become less relevant.

This.

It would also depend on the factions you choose to play. I picked HB and Criminal and I actually kicked out the cards that only came in singles for those factions (Corporate Troubleshooter and Data Dealer, respectively).

I gotta admit that I'd like to have a 3rd Rabbit Hole…

If you don't have the budget or are unwilling to spend extra, just do the best you can, play the best you can and suck it up. You can also try chipping in with other players to buy and share the contents of a Core Set; you don't spend as much and can focus on just what you want.

Besides, we're only one month away from the first data pack.

#12 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

Based on this information I will not buy this game.

FFG show a clear lack of understanding ccg's or a crass desire to milk the customer. Either way it isn't for me.

#13 profligate

profligate

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

Sign of the Serpent shows a clear lack of understanding of LCG's.  This isn't a CCG.  Period.

#14 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

signoftheserpent said:

FFG show a clear lack of understanding ccg's or a crass desire to milk the customer. Either way it isn't for me.

WTF. So you want a CCG where you buy random packs and hope you get that playset of cards to build your deck ? CCG's milk their customers. LCGs are up front with what you get in each box and monthly pack. $15 a month for 6 months to get a complete playset of the expansion cycle. Way cheaper than the $150 I was spending on two boxes of boosters to try and get 4 of each card which never seemed to happen.

#15 PMAvers

PMAvers

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

Personally, I own two core sets, but only deck-build with one. The second copy is what I pull out if I want to demo the game to someone so I don't have to tear apart my decks to do so.

#16 DOAisBetter

DOAisBetter

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

I played MTG for around 10+ years and am a completionist to boot. Just starting off in this game to be competative is way cheaper then even the fringe formats like all commons magic. Yes all commons magic is probably as expensive or more expensive than two core sets in this game. Assuming you shop online at least.

Ya I am not a fan the core set not having 3 of each. However they give you more than enough to work with and heck you can still be very competative with one. The biggest advantage of buying more than one coreset is being able to have more decks constructed at once. At least thats the case for me, having more of the 1 and 2 of is nice though.

#17 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

profligate said:

Sign of the Serpent shows a clear lack of understanding of LCG's.  This isn't a CCG.  Period.

Yes it is. All that is different is the name. It's exactly the same thing, whether it's called a TCG or an LCG or a CCG. They are all the same. The only variant is some aspects of distribution.

#18 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

Toqtamish said:

signoftheserpent said:

WTF. So you want a CCG where you buy random packs and hope you get that playset of cards to build your deck ? CCG's milk their customers. LCGs are up front with what you get in each box and monthly pack. $15 a month for 6 months to get a complete playset of the expansion cycle. Way cheaper than the $150 I was spending on two boxes of boosters to try and get 4 of each card which never seemed to happen.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

You don't get a complete playset. That's the whole point. Not unless I am prepared to buy 3 core sets which, IMO, is a pretty tall order and quite unreasonable on the part of FFG. It didn't need to be this way, but it is and so I am not prepared to get on board.

#19 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:30 AM

signoftheserpent said:

Toqtamish said:

signoftheserpent said:

Please don't put words in my mouth.

You don't get a complete playset. That's the whole point. Not unless I am prepared to buy 3 core sets which, IMO, is a pretty tall order and quite unreasonable on the part of FFG. It didn't need to be this way, but it is and so I am not prepared to get on board.

Right back at you. If you read my post you will notice I was talking about the monthly packs. You do get complete playsets there. You don't need 3 core sets by any means. One is plenty. And as the expansion packs comes out it is even less likely you will need extra core sets. Anyway it really is your loss. It is an amazing card game.

#20 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

signoftheserpent said:

profligate said:

Yes it is. All that is different is the name. It's exactly the same thing, whether it's called a TCG or an LCG or a CCG. They are all the same. The only variant is some aspects of distribution.

CCG and TCG are the exact same thing they just changed names in the early 2000s. LCG completely different distribution model makes it very different from TCGs. They are more about player skill and deck building rather than who can afford the most copies of the booster packs/boxes.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS