Jump to content



Photo

LS Deck: First Try


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

Here's my first try at a LS deck, entirely done via looking at pictures online and memory of the demo at GenCon.  I'm sure those of you who are lucky enough to have a copy already can tell me everything wrong with the deck, but this will be fun in the mean time.

Affiliation: Jedi

Objective Deck (10):

A Hero's Journey x2

A Journey to Dagobah x2

In You Must Go x2

The Defense of Yavin 4 x2

The Rebel Fleet x2

 

I'll admit that I'm a little worried about the possibility of not getting any of the Rebel objectives, but a good number of the cards from them are neutral so hopefully it's not too much of a problem.



#2 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

    Member

  • Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

dbmeboy said:

I'll admit that I'm a little worried about the possibility of not getting any of the Rebel objectives, but a good number of the cards from them are neutral so hopefully it's not too much of a problem.

Don't worry about it too much.

There are only 210 combinations of opening draw from a 10 card objective deck and ony 15 of them are all Jedi in a 60/40 Jedi/Rebel  split.  So that's about a 1 in 14 chance or a little over 7%.


Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 


#3 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

Don't worry about it too much.

There are only 210 combinations of opening draw from a 10 card objective deck and ony 15 of them are all Jedi in a 60/40 Jedi/Rebel  split.  So that's about a 1 in 14 chance or a little over 7%.

Yeah, I know the math… 93% of the time I'll be fine, the question is: how much trouble will the other 7% be?  I'm thinking there are enough neutral cards (and the edge battle mechanic) to let me use the cards from the rebel sets that the deck will still function the other 7% of the time, but I'll either need to wait for the game to actually come out or proxy the cards to test it out.  Looks fun either way.  I think my next deck will be an ultra-aggressive DS build that goes after the LS objectives hard and puts lots of pressure on them to work fast or lose.



#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:23 AM

Since I posted it for my Sith deck, here's a more detailed breakdown of why I picked these sets.  I do want to mention that I found LS deck building much harder… there are just a few more demands on the deck for what it needs to do.  At least at first glance it would seem that a DS deck can play defensive and be fine while a LS deck pretty much has to attack, but still needs to defend.

A Hero's Journey - I think that Luke Skywalker is one of the best if not the best LS unit right now.  The lightsaber and Trust Your Feelings will combo will with Yoda or Luke.  Plus, the objective gives 2 resources itself and provides another resource producing card.

A Journey to Dagobah - Another double resource objective.  Red 5, Double Strike, and Target of Opportunity all make for an aggressive set.

In You Must Go - Yoda loves to see enhancements.  Unfortunately, only one is included in the set with him, but a couple from A Hero's Journey work pretty well.  Shii-Cho training is sick on Luke or a souped-up Yoda.  Counter-Stroke is nice whether countering or used in an edge battle.

The Defense of Yavin 4 - The deck ends up having a pretty good number of vehicles with 2 copies each of Red 5, Red 2, and Home One as well as 4 Y-Wings.  The cost reduction ability of the objective can be useful in a pinch.  Rebel Assault gives the deck some reach in case it can't punch through the DS defenses.

The Rebel Fleet - Home One is everything the LS needs in an attacking unit.  Two unit damage, two objective damage, and a couple of bonus points of objective damage.  Two more Y-Wings as well will allow the LS to hit objectives hard and fast.

 

The basic goal of the deck is to come out of the gates swinging and put a ton of early pressure on the DS player.  If at all possible, Luke should not be commited to the force so that he can manage both offense and defense.  There's plenty of resource generation available in the different sets so you shouldn't have much trouble playing out as much of your hand as you want each turn most of the time.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS