X-Com: The Board Game

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TysonDude

TysonDude

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

I would love to see FFG do a board game version of X-Com!

#2 Asmoridin

Asmoridin

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

TysonDude said:

I would love to see FFG do a board game version of X-Com!

I always thought a board game version of X-Com would do very well.  Wouldn't mind seeing FFG do this myself :)

#3 steveg700

steveg700

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Sounds like a great idea. X-Com actually plays very much like a fantasy game in a different setting, so why not style it after Descent? There'd need to be some differences though. Cover would need to be emphasized. Maps would need to be randomly generated and progressively revealed. And instead of getting loot that can be used on the spot, it instead gets funnelled into research. A campaign would be the default way to play.

#4 steveg700

steveg700

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

Sounds like a great idea. X-Com actually plays very much like a fantasy game in a different setting, so why not style it after Descent? There'd need to be some differences though. Cover would need to be emphasized. Maps would need to be randomly generated and progressively revealed. And instead of getting loot that can be used on the spot, it instead gets funnelled into research. A campaign would be the default way to play. In other words, it'd combine some of the awesome tactical play of Descent but branch off into some interesting new directions.

#5 Drop Bear 2.0

Drop Bear 2.0

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

I think X-Com would make a better RPG than Board Game, but then again Can't we have Both?

#6 Pac_Man3D

Pac_Man3D

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:35 AM

Apparently, the designers of XCOM Enemy Unknown created a prototype board game to test the game mechanics in the early days of the game's development. Personally, I think an XCOM board game could be great - though I'm not sure how well the whole experience would translate. The combat side of things would work for sure, but the base management?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS