Photo

errata xenos weapons, is it better and how has it changed the game?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 peterstepon

peterstepon

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

I wrote a comment on the Errata thread.  I also thought I would start a new thread in the forums

This is a great thread.  Nice to see that everyone likes the new weapons stats in the Errata.

The vast majority of the comments have been about the Marines and their weapons.  What have people thought about the updated xenos weapons for Tyrannids and Tau?  My first impression last year is that it would make combat too deadly for space marines.  What have peoples experiences been with the new weapons for aliens and how did this change the game from pre to post errata?

#2 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

peterstepon said:

Nice to see that everyone likes the new weapons stats in the Errata.

This is not a true statement.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#3 DigitalRedneck

DigitalRedneck

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:35 AM

I have not thuroughly play tested either the OG Deathwatch rules or the modified versions. But from reading the comments I wonder what's wrong with the Special Forces of the special forces smoking enimies left and right with powerful weapons?  At first glance and from a limited play test is seemed to work out like the novels. Which is what I wanted. But reading everything I'm wondering if I should make changes /  use the eratta for weapons as a lot of folks seem to like the changes. 

So… Can you guys educate me? I'm a old school gamer but I've hardly been able to touch my Warhammer 40k stuff beyond the reading it over and over stage..

#4 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

DigitalRedneck said:

I have not thuroughly play tested either the OG Deathwatch rules or the modified versions. But from reading the comments I wonder what's wrong with the Special Forces of the special forces smoking enimies left and right with powerful weapons?  At first glance and from a limited play test is seemed to work out like the novels. Which is what I wanted. But reading everything I'm wondering if I should make changes /  use the eratta for weapons as a lot of folks seem to like the changes. 

So… Can you guys educate me? I'm a old school gamer but I've hardly been able to touch my Warhammer 40k stuff beyond the reading it over and over stage..

For me, and I think for a number of people, it wasn't so much that Players were too good for the mobs but that:

a) Space Marine weapons weren't balanced against each other. You'll notice that bolters took a hit but plasma guns and melta guns actually got better. Before, considering that autofire is so powerful there was no benefit from using anything but a bolter on full auto, once you take rightous fury into account.

b) for mobs while most of the troop weapons were only effective in hordes anyway a lot of the elite and master weapons were not effective against marines at all even if they should by much of the fluff.

Overall that mean't that it was limiting, limiting in effecting weapons, limits in enemies and considering it's a game that's almost entirely combat then that's risking getting old fast.

#5 DigitalRedneck

DigitalRedneck

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:25 AM

That makes sense. While I do want my marines to feel like its possible to walk thrue a hail of weapons fire as per fluff, I also want them to worry. And see ceramite blistering and whatnot. I ran a few sessions against home brew orathens liked the feel so far.  But I can't say it's by kind of conclusive test… Lol

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS