Flamers and other Odd Guns

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jabberwoky

jabberwoky

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

In my Rogue trader group, the Navigator has decided that since his Ballistics Skill is so low, he wishes to focus on flamethrowers (specifically hand flamers, as he does not have Basic Weapon Training (Universal) yet.)  He knows that getting an auto-pistol and using suppressing fire would help greatly, but I can't fault him for wanting to cause damage and mayhem.  Flamers do not need a roll for Ballistics Skill, but come in pistol, basic and heavy varieties, and so he wishes to focus on them.

However, that got me thinking, are there other ranged weapons in Rogue Trader (and Dark Heresy) that do not require a Ballistics Skill roll to fire?  And if so, what (and where) are they?

#2 Géza!

Géza!

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

In Hostile Acquisitions, I think, there is a (pretty heretical) upgrade for plasma weapons that pretty much turns them into plasma flamers, as in, they spew forth all the plasma in a wide ray like flamers do with fire. He might want to look into that.

#3 jabberwoky

jabberwoky

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Thank you for that.  I also seem to remember a gun powered by a backpack of psyker brains in The Radical's Handbook, but that seems more much heretical than modifying a plasma gun.

#4 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

There is also a Voss "Nightfire" Flame Device that is pretty much a flamer, but also has a chemical in it that causes a Toxic cloud to envelope the area.  And then there is a cheap Tox Spray weapon, made by scums using checmical waste material.  Both are in the IH book I think.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#5 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

Looks like one of your initial questions got overlooked…  The only ranged weapons that don't roll to hit are all of the flame / spray type.  There are some variations, like the toxic Nightfire or the microwave based Stingray, and there's even one flamer in Hostile Acquisitions, the Flameburst, that shoots in a line, not a cone.  But, that doesn't change the fact that it's either use a flame weapon, or buy up your ballistic skill.

Cheers,

- V.

#6 breez

breez

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

Grenades are an option. Even with a low bs and str, you have a pretty good chance of hitting your intended target.

#7 susanbrindle

susanbrindle

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

jabberwoky said:

In my Rogue trader group, the Navigator has decided that since his Ballistics Skill is so low, he wishes to focus on flamethrowers (specifically hand flamers, as he does not have Basic Weapon Training (Universal) yet.)  He knows that getting an auto-pistol and using suppressing fire would help greatly, but I can't fault him for wanting to cause damage and mayhem.  Flamers do not need a roll for Ballistics Skill, but come in pistol, basic and heavy varieties, and so he wishes to focus on them.

However, that got me thinking, are there other ranged weapons in Rogue Trader (and Dark Heresy) that do not require a Ballistics Skill roll to fire?  And if so, what (and where) are they?

Note that (Universal) is not actually universal! The Universal group confers proficiency with most pistol weapons, including the Bolt, Las, Launcher, Melta, Plasma, and SP groups.

Flame is its own special catagory, so his opponents get a bonus to dodge your untrained attacks. You'll have to purchase a Plasma Pistol with Starflare Vents if you want to attack efficiently.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS