Photo

Making Faramir feel like an unlockable (HoN/AtS SPOILER).

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 John85

John85

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:04 AM

So no doubt most of us assume that FFG will give us that long awaited Faramir hero (let us hope that we are not disappointed) sometime in the Against the Shadow cycle. After reading the rulebook for HoN last night, it occurred to me that, thematically, FFG couldn't give us Faramir in the first pack without making one of the heroes unplayable, if one is following theme/lore. What I mean is that since the three quests of HoN are all about delivering a letter to Faramir, it is not possible (while having Faramir as a hero/ally) to deliver said letter over the course of the quests. If Faramir were in your party, you would just give him the letter and skip the scenarios altogether.

Instead FFG makes Faramir the goal of the three scenarios and after safely delivering the letter (completing the scenarios) one is "rewarded" with a new playable hero (in a future AP), Faramir (or if you prefer, "Faramir joins your party"). Depite my sadness on learning that he wasn't in the HoN box, this makes great sense, and shows FFG's commitment to providing players with consistency when it comes to proper theme/lore.

#2 monkeyrama

monkeyrama

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

Could be, could be. I'm trying to recall, but was Arwen released in the Dwarrowdelf cycle in the first pack in which she wasn't an objective ally? If I'm right about that, it gives FFG a track record of giving a card at a reasonably sensible point in the cycle. It would certainly be very nice to get a Faramir hero. Could do a family deck, with Boromir, Denethor and Faramir. 

#3 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

You are right. 3rd pack for the playable Arwen card. (First 2 have Arwen allies). 

Edit: also you should spoiler warn this.

#4 John85

John85

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for pointing that out Rapier, "Spoiler Warning" added

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS