Number of copies?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Darth Hideous

Darth Hideous

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

First - I have been looking/searching for this topic but I couldet find any. So please excuse me and link if there is such a topic.

Now for my main question:

I have read somewhere that you are allowed 2 copies of almost any card (a few are limited to one). Does anyone know if "we" get 2 of each (not limited) card? Or is it like the first warhammer invasion products where people hed to buy 3 copies? I know I am pretty tired of playing against people who has 3 x troll vomit cards (when I have 1) either by spending a lot of $$$ or most of the times getting "creative" with a scanner and printer.

May the force be with this product!

You, my children, are the water that will wash away all that has gone before. In your hand, you hold my light, the gleam in the eye of Set. This flame will burn away the darkness, burn you the way to paradise!

#2 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

We do not, if you want to be able to double up on objectives you need two core sets. The only exception is one of the neutral card sets that they "double" for each side in the core box. Still, it's a great deal compared to most LCG's/CCG's, and with remarkably few superflous sets. :)

#3 houjix1138

houjix1138

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

You will need to copies of the Core set to be able to max out the copies in a deck. Each Core set comes with 1x of each Objective and their associated cards with the exception of 2 objectives having 2 copies. Unfortuantely those Objectives are limited to one per deck anyway.

#4 Darth Hideous

Darth Hideous

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

Thanks for the answers guys.

What a great disappointment! I thougt FFG wouldent do that mistake again. (The "fixed" it with the newer warhammer invasion boosters). I had hoped my fellow dane, who is the CEO, would have been more reasonable.

You, my children, are the water that will wash away all that has gone before. In your hand, you hold my light, the gleam in the eye of Set. This flame will burn away the darkness, burn you the way to paradise!

#5 Darth Hideous

Darth Hideous

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

I forgot.. One thing.. What about the booster packs??? Are they with "all" the legal cards. Or do one have to buy 2 boosters packs?  

#6 Keggy

Keggy

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

Force packs will come with 2 of the objectives you can run 2 of, and 1 of the objectives you are limited to running 1 of.  You only need to buy a 2nd force pack if you plan on maintaining multiple constructed decks.

#7 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

It''s a fully playable product out of the box with 4 more or less complete decks. How much do single starters for a CCG usually cost? Anyone? 

Even though the gripe is a non-issue, I think FFG did very well with this. Any other LCG would require 3 core sets to have playsets of all the cards. It's difficult to call the repeats of the limit one objectives superfluous since they will still fit easily in other decks in the future.

#8 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

qwertyuiop said:

It''s a fully playable product out of the box with 4 more or less complete decks. How much do single starters for a CCG usually cost? Anyone? 

Even though the gripe is a non-issue, I think FFG did very well with this. Any other LCG would require 3 core sets to have playsets of all the cards. It's difficult to call the repeats of the limit one objectives superfluous since they will still fit easily in other decks in the future.

I really agree with this. I mean, two core sets and you get maximum variability and possibility with an entire set. That is pretty awesome, especially considering that these really arent very pricy. 

You -can- play perfectly well with just one core set too. 

The expansions will come with all cards in duplicate for that expansion, so no need to ever buy more than one! :)

#9 Darth Hideous

Darth Hideous

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

Well I just have to disagree. Even though I can understand that FFG need to get profit out of their products - but this is greedy never the less (and a waste of Co2).

I can see no reason what so ever not to make the starter box complete - with all the copies you need to make the decks you want. Allright I have to admit its not as bad as buying 3 core sets and severel of the booster packs (like warhammer) or buy booster after booster with random card (like magic) - witch is all about the money (there is a good reason why I stopped playing magic back in the days). And like I said I just hoped FFG would do better this time. (I think btw that they are doing real fine with the rules and quality of thier product - I have bought a lot of their products).

#10 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Darth Hideous said:

Well I just have to disagree. Even though I can understand that FFG need to get profit out of their products - but this is greedy never the less (and a waste of Co2).

I can see no reason what so ever not to make the starter box complete - with all the copies you need to make the decks you want. Allright I have to admit its not as bad as buying 3 core sets and severel of the booster packs (like warhammer) or buy booster after booster with random card (like magic) - witch is all about the money (there is a good reason why I stopped playing magic back in the days). And like I said I just hoped FFG would do better this time. (I think btw that they are doing real fine with the rules and quality of thier product - I have bought a lot of their products).

I saw a great argument for this a while back, i think it went something like this;

Fantasy flight has two choices when it comes to this.

1. They can give you the entire set in duplicate, meaning around 480 cards, lots of tokens and the like. The price would be around 60 euros. This would alienate a lot of players who simply cannot afford the price tag, or who want to try out the game a little without committing like that. 

or.

2. They can give you all the cards you need to play the game a lot cheaper, for around 30 euros, and then give you the option of completing your set for the extra 30 if you want to, maximum choice!

Of course, the only way to see this as unfair is to think that it should be a lot cheaper even with the "complete" set. As a comparison, a magic pack with 90 cards cost about 15 euros (which amount to 180 magic cards at 30 euros, just two thirds the amount of cards as in the base set for the same price). I would say then, that FFG's price for this game is good as is. 

to each their own I guess :)

#11 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

Darth Hideous said:

So much wrong with this and I don't just mean the spelling. And this "discussion" is getting old fast it comes up all the time. I have bought 3 copies of Android: Netrunner, giving me every card in at least 3 and most in 6-9. Which is awesome. Cost me $120. Now last year when I was playing WoW TCG I was spending at least $150 on two boxes of cards and still not getting entire playsets of some of the rares and the epics. I sold a bunch of those rares and epics and used the funds to get my 2nd and 3rd Netrunner boxes. I bought the extra boxes as I like to be able to build lots of decks. I have 6 right now.

FFG is not doing anything "wrong" as you have alluded to in two posts in this thread. They made a conscious decision to give us a complete game out of the box rather than a completist box. That way if you only ever buy one box then you still have plenty of variety and choices when it comes to making a deck. For Star Wars considering you can use all Dark Side/Light Side in any faction it is even less of an issue with the way deckbuilding is done.

I applaud FFG on their decision as I would rather a complete game in the box than 55 cards in 3 copies. That would get boring awfully fast. Also note you do not need multiples of every single card. And at the most you would have to buy two copies of Star Wars to have entire playsets for all of the objective sets. $80.00 for a complete playset, sounds good to me. Suck on that Magic the Greedy.

#12 darkbladecb

darkbladecb

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

I honestly think this is the best box that FFG has put out so far, from a content/distribution standpoint in terms of Core Sets for a LCG.

#13 houjix1138

houjix1138

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

Toqtamish said:

So much wrong with this and I don't just mean the spelling. And this "discussion" is getting old fast it comes up all the time. I have bought 3 copies of Android: Netrunner, giving me every card in at least 3 and most in 6-9. Which is awesome. Cost me $120. Now last year when I was playing WoW TCG I was spending at least $150 on two boxes of cards and still not getting entire playsets of some of the rares and the epics. I sold a bunch of those rares and epics and used the funds to get my 2nd and 3rd Netrunner boxes. I bought the extra boxes as I like to be able to build lots of decks. I have 6 right now.

FFG is not doing anything "wrong" as you have alluded to in two posts in this thread. They made a conscious decision to give us a complete game out of the box rather than a completist box. That way if you only ever buy one box then you still have plenty of variety and choices when it comes to making a deck. For Star Wars considering you can use all Dark Side/Light Side in any faction it is even less of an issue with the way deckbuilding is done.

I applaud FFG on their decision as I would rather a complete game in the box than 55 cards in 3 copies. That would get boring awfully fast. Also note you do not need multiples of every single card. And at the most you would have to buy two copies of Star Wars to have entire playsets for all of the objective sets. $80.00 for a complete playset, sounds good to me. Suck on that Magic the Greedy.

No doubt. I wish $80 of WoW could allow me to build 4-6 complete decks to play with

#14 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

houjix1138 said:

No doubt. I wish $80 of WoW could allow me to build 4-6 complete decks to play with

Yup, going from a minimum $200 investment per set back to LCG's is a nice change. I was a judge, volunteer(Champion of the Black Flame) and competitive player for WoW but the cost and the multitude of "specialty" sets led to total burn out.

LCG model is just so much better which is why it irks me so much when someone ******* about it.

#15 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

I once thought the same way as Darth Hideous on this, but have come to change my viewpoint. I'm gonna go through my own thought process on this. Hope it helps!

It's been established that a player can get a fully playable experience from a single Core Set "right out of the box," so why do I need the additional cards that a second provides? The answer, obviously, is I want to be as competitive as possible, which means having all the options at my disposal. The next player might be content with purchasing only a single Core Set, but not me. I don't do this in Magic -- why not?

Money. In Magic (or L5R, or Yu-Gi-Oh!, or whathaveyou), I spend my time opening card packs, hoping I pull something good or can trade for what I need; or in the singles market where, provided there are copies of the card available, I build my masterpiece card-by-card. Either way, this requires a heavy investment of time (unless I'm netdecking in which case it's someone else's masterpiece that I hope will work just as well for me), and more importantly, money - lots of money. All this is to ensure that my deck is able to destroy its competition. And it probably won't, since I play mostly for fun, but I still want my deck to be strong so I know that if I lose it's my screw-up, and not my deck's, that cost me the match.

Sometimes, I'll find out that the deck I've been meticulously planning over the course of a month, while strong, doesn't quite match my playstyle. Or it does, but I'm in the mood for something different. Too bad. I've spent a great deal of time and money on this deck and hell if I'm gonna let it sit in my bag doing nothing for any length of time. For a completionist like me, this drives me CRAZY! I could spend $900 and get the full playsets online, but then by the end of a cycle I'll have spent thousands of dollars for cards that won't even be legal for standard tournaments in two years.

Now, with that said, let's look at Star Wars: The Card Game. As I spend a few minutes looking at cards, I begin to notice ones that do things I like, and immediately an idea forms in my head. I don't have to go online to explore this idea, because I spent $80 - much less than the price of a single, random box of Magic - to buy two Core Sets and have a full playset of all the cards that are available to anyone. And I will never have to do this again, because the Force Packs and big-box expansions will each come with full playsets. I also got a metric ****-ton of the various tokens that are used in the game, so if I misplace a few, it's no big deal.

I like having options. But I also like having stuff in my wallet. With this game, I can have both.

Plus it's Star Wars.

#16 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

MarthWMaster said:

I once thought the same way as Darth Hideous on this, but have come to change my viewpoint. I'm gonna go through my own thought process on this. Hope it helps!

It's been established that a player can get a fully playable experience from a single Core Set "right out of the box," so why do I need the additional cards that a second provides? The answer, obviously, is I want to be as competitive as possible, which means having all the options at my disposal. The next player might be content with purchasing only a single Core Set, but not me. I don't do this in Magic -- why not?

Money. In Magic (or L5R, or Yu-Gi-Oh!, or whathaveyou), I spend my time opening card packs, hoping I pull something good or can trade for what I need; or in the singles market where, provided there are copies of the card available, I build my masterpiece card-by-card. Either way, this requires a heavy investment of time (unless I'm netdecking in which case it's someone else's masterpiece that I hope will work just as well for me), and more importantly, money - lots of money. All this is to ensure that my deck is able to destroy its competition. And it probably won't, since I play mostly for fun, but I still want my deck to be strong so I know that if I lose it's my screw-up, and not my deck's, that cost me the match.

Sometimes, I'll find out that the deck I've been meticulously planning over the course of a month, while strong, doesn't quite match my playstyle. Or it does, but I'm in the mood for something different. Too bad. I've spent a great deal of time and money on this deck and hell if I'm gonna let it sit in my bag doing nothing for any length of time. For a completionist like me, this drives me CRAZY! I could spend $900 and get the full playsets online, but then by the end of a cycle I'll have spent thousands of dollars for cards that won't even be legal for standard tournaments in two years.

Now, with that said, let's look at Star Wars: The Card Game. As I spend a few minutes looking at cards, I begin to notice ones that do things I like, and immediately an idea forms in my head. I don't have to go online to explore this idea, because I spent $80 - much less than the price of a single, random box of Magic - to buy two Core Sets and have a full playset of all the cards that are available to anyone. And I will never have to do this again, because the Force Packs and big-box expansions will each come with full playsets. I also got a metric ****-ton of the various tokens that are used in the game, so if I misplace a few, it's no big deal.

I like having options. But I also like having stuff in my wallet. With this game, I can have both.

Plus it's Star Wars.

Well said!

#17 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

MarthWMaster said:

Plus it's Star Wars.

Wonderful! If only for your last point alone! 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#18 Darth Hideous

Darth Hideous

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Toqtamish said:

Darth Hideous said:

#19 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

The false assumption behind this thread is that FFG could afford to/would sell you a full play set at anything less then the price of the Core Set x2.

There is no reason to believe that is true, so calling FFG packaging a money grab is just plain false.  They are increasing thier profits by offering the Core Set as is, but not from those that are going to want a full play set.  They are are getting extra sales from those that will spend $40 dollars to try something, but not $80.  Infact due to seperate packaging they are frankly making less money off the completionists.

#20 Entropy42

Entropy42

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

ScottieATF said:

They are are getting extra sales from those that will spend $40 dollars to try something, but not $80. 

This sentence should be the beginning and end of every thread about LCG core sets not containing a full playset.  Its not about sticking it to completionists for fat profit, its about getting casual players to actually try the game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS