Eomer
Hero
Cost: 10
Willpower: 2
Attack: 2
Defense: 0
Hit Points: 4
Noble. Rohan. Warrior.
Eomer has +1 [DEF] for each exhausted hero you control.

I was inspired by the new spirit sphere theme of situational or temporary defense. My spirit Eomer above is very good at defending a questing party, but not so much while engaging and killing enemies (without the help of allies). I think this fits spirit very well and he is good in the upcoming numenor and following cycle due to the new Siege keyword.

#2 opethwindowpane

opethwindowpane

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:47 AM

Per response from BoardGameGeek community I have adjusted the card design to the following to match cost and stats and clearly identify the "power" of Eomer, which is when you have two other exhausted heroes who probably quested or defended this turn.

Eomer
Hero
Spirit
Defense: 2
While you control at least two other exhausted heroes Eomer has +1 [DEF].

#3 mr.thomasschmidt

mr.thomasschmidt

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

I really like the idea BUT with his stats like it is now I think I'd rather go for Glorfindel (Core set). However if he would have 2 def and get +2 def if both other heroes where exhausted I think he'd be awesome. So that he would either have 2 or 4 in def. Great idea anyway :)

#4 opethwindowpane

opethwindowpane

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

If there is no specific need Glorfindel should be chosen over Eomer.  This fits the lore.

In this comparison the two are different though.  Glorfindel is better at attacking and less at defending whereas my spirit Eomer is weaker attacker and stronger defender.  If you need a defender and are likely to be able to use his bonus defense then Eomer is the clear choice!

#5 AjiTae

AjiTae

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

I kind of agree with Thomas on his ability though. I think it would be more balanced if he gained 1 DEF per other hero exhausted. I mean look at the threat cost of beast defenders like Dain and Beregond. Since it's Eomer's ability as a hero, I think it should be more powerful.

#6 mr.thomasschmidt

mr.thomasschmidt

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Exactly my point. However I think it would be fine if his ability could only be "bonused" up if you have two heroes exhausted. Maybe 0 def and then +1 for one hero exhausted and +3 def if both heroes are exhausted. Or maybe he could gain +1 def per 2 ally characters you choose to exhaust? Don't know, but I really liked your thinking in this ability :) keep it up

#7 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

The adjusted version is much better, but honestly, still not sure that I would use him.  He does have solid all around stats, but I can always get those elsewhere.  For example, he and Beravor would have the exact same starting threat cost and stats.  But personally, her ability is mush more versatile.  I can find ways to raise someone's defense, and particularly since it is based solely on exhausting my other hero's (meaning I can't use them for attacking now), I would rather just use a different hero and throw in a couple Dundain Warnings to get those extra 2 defense (or whatever other defense card you want to use).  About the only reason I can think I would use him outright would be that he has the best stats for a Spirit hero other than Glorfindel, who is equal or better in everything other than defense, and again, I can find better ways to defend than relying on a hero that removes Glorfindel's ability to attack by needing him to be exhausted…

If he had an aditional benefit to his ability, I could see using him more tactfully.  Since I think he can fit into either Spirit (assisting the Three Hunters on their quest for the Hobbits by giving horses and guiding them), Leadership (his eored was stoutly devoted to him), or Tactics (obviously proficient in battle, throwing himself and the Rohirrim at the enemy at Pelenor Fields until Aragorn had time to arrive), I have included an additional ability to his card based on what sphere he would be in:

Eomer (Spirit hero)
Rohan. Noble. Warrior.
While you control at least two other exhausted heroes Eomer has +1 [DEF].
Response:  When Eomer is assigned to a quest that at least one other Hero is also assigned to, add one progress token to the active location or quest.
(reflects his helping the Hunters quest)

Eomer (Tactics hero)
Rohan. Noble. Warrior.
While you control at least two other exhausted heroes Eomer has +1 [ATT].
Response: After another character leaves play, Eomer has +2 [ATT] for the rest of the round.
(reflects Eomer's charge after Theoden's death)

Eomer (Leadership hero)
Rohan. Noble. Warrior.
While you control at least four Rohan characters Eomer has +1 [DEF].
Whenever a Mount is played, ready Eomer.                      
(reflects his status as a Horse-lord, and my desire that they will hopefully include more Mounts as the game progresses)

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

#8 John85

John85

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Grea suggestions, ben! I really like the Leadership version!!

#9 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

I liked your ideas, Mr. Benhanses.
There is talent there!

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Zwerg is the guy who made those nice reports with LEGO pieces.

#10 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Thanks!  But I'll defer credit to the OP…. I just tweeked his work to fit my own personal ideas….  He did the original work, and I played around with it estrella

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS